Sponsored

S550 Mustang How to Jack and Jack Stands

Drakoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Greetings,

Below I will share how I jacked up my Mustang and placed on 4 jack stands which may help some other people. I found the information via searching a bit sketchy and mixed. The way I did it worked fine and did not require anything special.

Note: DO NOT GO UNDER THE CAR BEFORE ITS ON JACK STANDS. I take no responsibility for your mistakes or other issues. This worked for me.

See the picture below. I have circled the jack and jack stand points. Jack points are in red, jack stand points are in blue. I used a 8" long 2x4 at all 4 jack points to spread the load. I did not use any special pads or jack stands. I just let the car down carefully and it was fine.

1. Pull up the emergency break good and tight and block the rear wheel.
2. Start with the jack at one of the front jack points and jack the car up. The real wheel will come off the ground, don't worry about it.
3. Place the first jack stand under the front jack stand point on the side you jack the car up on. (Note you may need to re-position the jack to make enough room for the stand).
4. Let the car down on the first jack stand, go to the other side and jack the car up from the other front jack point.
5. Place the other front jack stand and let the car down on the jack stand.
6. Go to the rear of the car and choose a rear jack point. Raise the rear of the car high enough to place both jack stands under the rear jack stand points. (Don't worry that the rear jack points are a little off center, the car will go up fine.)
7. Let the car carefully down on the rear jack stand points.

Now your ready to get some work done! :headbang:

Nick
S550Under.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Finally

Old Fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Auto Prem Conv
Sorry... I just can't resist. If I could get my car to roll over on its back like that, I wouldn't need to jack it. :lol:

Seriously, though, that's great info. Thanks for taking the time to help us all out. :cheers:

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
Thanks, man! A much better answer than read the manual!

Sponsored

davidw76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Premium w PP & Corsa Xtreme
thanks to the OP for posting this.. it is the first complete answer I have seen to this common question.

I used this method for the front end with no problems.. the suggested jacking points are very solid and it didn't damage them in any way. Probably best to place a rag or some wood on the jack to make sure though

For the rear, I have one minor suggestion to add.. I am sure it isn't essential, but you can use a cross beam to make use of both the suggested rear jacking points at the same time.

I picked up the jack and cross beam from harbor freight so it's not expensive. Also used a couple of bits of 2x4 to help clear the exhaust

Last edited:

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
For the rear, I have one minor suggestion to add.. I am sure it isn't essential, but you can use a cross beam to make use of both the suggested rear jacking points at the same time.

I picked up the jack and cross beam from harbor freight so it's not expensive. Also used a couple of bits of 2x4 to help clear the exhaust
What is the jack rated to? Any issue with overloading it since you're taking the entire rear end with that jack?

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
thanks to the OP for posting this.. it is the first complete answer I have seen to this common question.

I used this method for the front end with no problems.. the suggested jacking points are very solid and it didn't damage them in any way. Probably best to place a rag or some wood on the jack to make sure though

Ive got the same crossbeam but a different low profile jack. I used it yesterday under the rocker panel to jack up one side at a time to place stands under the rear pinch weld jack points so it will work there too.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
The best and easiest way to jack up your car? Buy these jacking rails from [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION].

Install literally takes 20-30 minutes and then you have the easiest time jacking up your S550 going forward. It takes 2 minutes to get the car up on jack stands.

One of the best mods you can buy.
jacking rails.jpg

Sponsored

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
The best and easiest way to jack up your car? Buy these jacking rails from [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION].

Install literally takes 20-30 minutes and then you have the easiest time jacking up your S550 going forward. It takes 2 minutes to get the car up on jack stands.

:cheers:

davidw76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks, I have thought about it but following the method suggested in this thread, I really had no problems at all. I guess it's three places to jack up instead of two with the rails, so the rails would save a little time.

Most of the time I only need to raise one end anyway, and if I don't need the wheels off, like for an oil change, i just use ramps and completely avoid the jack.

cheers

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Thanks, I have thought about it but following the method suggested in this thread, I really had no problems at all. I guess it's three places to jack up instead of two with the rails, so the rails would save a little time.

Most of the time I only need to raise one end anyway, and if I don't need the wheels off, like for an oil change, i just use ramps and completely avoid the jack.

cheers
It really does same some decent time, at least for me it did. 5 pumps on my jack and jack stands go in. Repeat other side, done :)

davidw76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It really does same some decent time, at least for me it did. 5 pumps on my jack and jack stands go in. Repeat other side, done :)
so you jack from the center of the rail and then place the stands at either end of the rail... then repeat on the other side?

that does sound super easy.. I will definitely consider it next time I have to do something under the car

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
so you jack from the center of the rail and then place the stands at either end of the rail... then repeat on the other side?

that does sound super easy.. I will definitely consider it next time I have to do something under the car
Those Steeda rails are nice for sure! I would have bought them if I hadn't seen your original post about the cross beam. You can do the same thing with your cross-beam and use it on other cars as well.
Sponsored