Sponsored

Any avid bikers plan on getting a hitch receiver?

steven1955

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
EB competition orange convertible
What rack is that? Here is what I need to haul around:
rad-power-bikes-rad-rover-1200x800-c-default.jpg
I installed full fenders, which preclude taking the front wheel off and stuffing in trunk. I need this setup...
EDIT Never mind, that rack won't work with fenders...
1UPUSA (https://www.1upusa.com) has an accessory, their fender cushion, for their racks that allow bikes with fenders. They don't work for all bikes with fenders, but maybe they'll work with your bike. Not perfect because it rubs on your fender.

If you did get the 1UP rack remember they have an optional "fat tire spacer kit" for fat tire bikes which you'd need for your bike.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Tandem vs Recumbent bike?

There is no way I would try to haul a tandem behind my Mustang! 1) the air drag has to be enormous along with a giant drop in mpg; 2) can the ends of the bike withstand a 70 mph wind while being anchored in the middle? 3) What happens when that teenager texting almost sideswipes you and hits one of the wheels? I have had pedestrians walk past the rear of my car when it has a regular bike racked and they nearly walk into the bike. They don't really watch where they are walking (or driving).
I have a recumbent bike and parked it behind my new Mustang...no way would I even attempt to rack it on the back!

OP
OP
JohnDoe

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
There is no way I would try to haul a tandem behind my Mustang! 1) the air drag has to be enormous along with a giant drop in mpg; 2) can the ends of the bike withstand a 70 mph wind while being anchored in the middle? 3) What happens when that teenager texting almost sideswipes you and hits one of the wheels? I have had pedestrians walk past the rear of my car when it has a regular bike racked and they nearly walk into the bike. They don't really watch where they are walking (or driving).
I have a recumbent bike and parked it behind my new Mustang...no way would I even attempt to rack it on the back!
The pictures really make it look worse than it is. I'd say it sticks out no more than 5 inches on each side. My top is always down when driving the tandem, so it's easy to keep an eye on and it's such an eye sore that nobody driving behind me will ignore it lol.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
So the S550 trunk is smaller than the S197?

I'm able to fit my road bike in the trunk with the rear seat folded down and bike's front wheel removed.

Sponsored

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does the Curt Hitch require the use of a stabilizer strap when a bike rack is on, attaching to the trunk? (Or anywhere else on the car?) I like the look of the Curt best so far, but don't like the idea of the strap... Thoughts?

steven1955

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
EB competition orange convertible
Does the Curt Hitch require the use of a stabilizer strap when a bike rack is on, attaching to the trunk? (Or anywhere else on the car?) I like the look of the Curt best so far, but don't like the idea of the strap... Thoughts?
The need for a stabilizer strap depends on the bike rack design, not the hitch. I have the Curt hitch and a 1up bike rack and no stabilizer strap is required. The 1up rack does recommend the use of a Velcro safety strap, but that cannot be seen with the bike rack on the car.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
The pictures really make it look worse than it is. I'd say it sticks out no more than 5 inches on each side. My top is always down when driving the tandem, so it's easy to keep an eye on and it's such an eye sore that nobody driving behind me will ignore it lol.
In your own words..."This is so f'in sketchy" :D

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
For those that only plan to use the hitch for bicycle racks, has anyone tried shortening the two inch square extension portion and cutting off the chain loops to make a more stealth installation?

I see mention a few pages back that the square version is less obvious than the round one yet I don't see any pictures showing that (post #167 & 168). Does anyone have anyone close ups of the square from multiple angles?

Sponsored

fcarpio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

I am willing to sell or trade this rack for something more lightweight due to my bad back.

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
Fold down the rear seats, pull off the front tire... magic, my road bike fits inside the car.
Why buy a rack?

OP
OP
JohnDoe

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
For those that only plan to use the hitch for bicycle racks, has anyone tried shortening the two inch square extension portion and cutting off the chain loops to make a more stealth installation?

I see mention a few pages back that the square version is less obvious than the round one yet I don't see any pictures showing that (post #167 & 168). Does anyone have anyone close ups of the square from multiple angles?
Whats the difference other than the square straight and the curved version of the other when it comes to these hitches ?

# 24928 ( Square )
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Mustang/2016/24928.html?vehicleid=201632662

# C11405 ( Curved round )
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Mustang/2016/C11405.html?vehicleid=201632354
There's lots of pictures in those 2 links. Try that or do you want the end of the hitch to be further in? With my rack attached, there's only a couple inches to spare before it touches the bumper. Don't know how far you can cut in if much at all. I've thought about this too.

Fold down the rear seats, pull off the front tire... magic, my road bike fits inside the car.
Why buy a rack?
Read the 13 pages for your answer

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
At the last autox event I saw an S550 with a receiver bisecting the rear backup light. No idea if the backup light was still functional or not.

Anybody seen anything similar, or you think it was custom? It was nicely stealth.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Curt receiver and Saris carrier

My Saris carrier is built like a tank part. One bolt holds it in the receiver and a lock fits on the end of the bolt. Once tightened down the carrier is locked solid, no movement. Well it can vibrate slightly but not enough to see while driving. It carries two bikes and if you use a couple bungie cords to keep the front wheel straight and the pedals from turning you are done. No need for stabilizing the carrier. I've got 2K miles of carrying with it so far.

Excuse the dirty car. Today is wash day.
bikerack.jpg
Sponsored