Sponsored

MBRP woes

socalx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I banged around on the pipes, mufflers and H pipe trying to find a way to recreate the rattle. I never did find where it was coming from.

I purchased a scope cam and am going to check the muffler baffle welds on Tuesday. I really didn't want to pull it off to check. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

If that doesn't work then I'll put the car on jack stands for a bit and pull the pipes off and do a reinstall. If it's like PJR202 says, it could be a clamp that has come slightly loose, even though they are cranked down.
Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I banged around on the pipes, mufflers and H pipe trying to find a way to recreate the rattle. I never did find where it was coming from.

I purchased a scope cam and am going to check the muffler baffle welds on Tuesday. I really didn't want to pull it off to check. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

If that doesn't work then I'll put the car on jack stands for a bit and pull the pipes off and do a reinstall. If it's like PJR202 says, it could be a clamp that has come slightly loose, even though they are cranked down.
We shoved and hammered on that thing a long time before finding it. It was a "duh" moment though because it was obvious the tapered end of the pipe was pushed out a bit. The rattle itself though. sounded like it was everywhere.

socalx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I scoped the insides and everything seems fine. I thought about something the other day. I had the car only jacked up on one side. Possibly, whatever was rattling might have been at such an angle that it wouldn't rattle while the car was up on one side. So on Saturday morning, I'm going to just put the car on jack stands and then I might be able to see whats going on. I'll check the pipes to see if something is moved slightly. Everything appears to be lined up ok.

I can definitely tell that the sound is coming from the rear right at this point.

I'll update on Saturday.

Murphjup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have had mine Street Stainless on for 1.5 years and 16,000 Miles rasp lessens over time totally different sound then when new....

When Installing mine I used a floor jack to raise the rear of the H pipe (per a suggestion by a forum Member here), Tightened up the connections...They are tight up in the rear valance and havent moved out of place at all YMMV...

(I know its a little off the Op's Post just thought I would pass it along.)

:thumbsup:

socalx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This is real good information. I'll try the same thing. I jack up the rear of the Y and see if that gives some slack to other areas. It might be that only then the rattle may appear. I'll do a full clamp down.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Sponsored

FlaGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP GT
Hey SoCalx, I had same issue, swore up and down it was the muffler.

Turned out it was where the Mid pipe connects to the Cats/Headers for me.

Rattle came back twice until I decide I was either going to break the stock clamps or my arm and hand tightened them until I could go no further.

This is real good information. I'll try the same thing. I jack up the rear of the Y and see if that gives some slack to other areas. It might be that only then the rattle may appear. I'll do a full clamp down.

Thank you for the suggestion.

socalx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey guys. I was able to get this figured out. After jacking the car up sky high and placing it on jack stands, I tightened everything that I could. Checked and double checked. Still had a faint faint rattle in the center rear area.

For whatever reason, I decided to take the spare tire out of the car and do a test drive. Sure enough, no rattle. It seemed somehow the jack had come slightly loose. After cranking that back down the sound had went away.

Good news is that it isn't the exhaust. Bad news is that I've wasted the last 2 Saturdays over a loose jack.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Reminds me of a friend that took a car in for a dash rattle and it was after they tore the dash apart that they found a packet of spare fuses in the console that was the source. HA!

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Hey SoCalx, I had same issue, swore up and down it was the muffler.

Turned out it was where the Mid pipe connects to the Cats/Headers for me.

Rattle came back twice until I decide I was either going to break the stock clamps or my arm and hand tightened them until I could go no further.
Exact same thing for me. On my second go at it now, and planning on getting them welded as soon as I have a chance.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
A lot of this sounds like a defective part, I've had MBRP Street on just over little half a year and everything has been fine.

Sponsored

socalx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the MBRP Race. I've had it for about a year and a half as well. After running a scope cam through the muffler, they look pretty good.

B4RK3R

CRWDCTRL
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GT Premium
No problems with my Street SS exhaust. almost on a year now, and love it.

The only thing I have issues with is it looks like it sits low under the car. I also scrape it every so often on my gravel driveway. Wondering if a shop could raise it a bit.

08mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2008 Z06
I cut open my MBRP stainless steel street mufflers over the weekend to modify them for a different sound. The muffler cans, tips and piping is stainless steel, but the perforated core of the mufflers is definitely not stainless steel. The system has been on the car for a little over a year. All of the stainless piping looked great; however, the mild-steel core of the mufflers was heavily rusted. After cutting the mufflers open, I'm not surprised to see this thread.
Sponsored