Sponsored

Ford Performance By Borla Cat-Back Exhaust

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Video didn't cover shield installation. I plug welded the original shields to the Borla system after cutting the original clamps off and zipping through two welds. In addition, the video above doesn't go into detail about the actual motor to valve interface. It can be tricky and you have to pay very close attention to the assembly when putting everything back together.

Cfirekirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Epiphany would probably be the best to weight in on this. I assume volume would be similar but maybe less rasp as a res delete. The FP is supposed to be better quality, breath better (x-pipe) and have higher quality flow through mufflers.

Sponsored

Cfirekirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well thats up to you. I guess the quality of steel/mufflers is better, and Borla claims 18wrhp gains with the better flow. 10 times louder? No. Also, with the FP you keep your stock exhaust intact and can reinstall it if you want. Once you cut the resonators out of your stock exhaust its a done deal.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well thats up to you. I guess the quality of steel/mufflers is better, and Borla claims 18wrhp gains with the better flow. 10 times louder? No. Also, with the FP you keep your stock exhaust intact and can reinstall it if you want. Once you cut the resonators out of your stock exhaust its a done deal.
Never cut my exhaust before but couldnt you put the stock resonators back in if you wanted to by welding them back?

I understand the fp exhaust has gains, looks nice, etc but man $2200 and I bet it sounds identical to FP in sport mode. In normal mode, i m sure resonator less setup is quieter as FP's normal mode is much louder. In another thread someone from borla says all exhausts including GT350, GT350R, FP have identical muffler setup in sport mode which is a straight pipe. Yes FP has a slightly larger diameter but thats not going to change the sound at all.

The only exception is ATAK exhaust as that one has a special tubing but thats not what we are discussing here.

So I guess to make it short - the FP exhaust and resonator less stock exhaust should be identical (or very close) in sport mode loudness/tone wise. Is that an accurate statement?

JoelinNOVA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 R
Not even close. Im sure it sounds good but that price makes it a no go.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not even close. Im sure it sounds good but that price makes it a no go.
Thats my point. For the "keeping the car fully in stock form", any prospective buyer will gladly take a $2000 discount with a resonator delete rather than a car in stock form and $2000 higher sale price:)

Point being, the. Entire reason cannot be plug and play ability. It has to provide much more than just a simple resonator delete.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
For you guys that like to quote a $2200 number for the FRP/Borla system - do you know someone that actually paid that much?

There are a limited number of power related mods that will maintain the factory warranty. A cat-back is one of them. The GT350 is low volume and as such the aftermarket is careful in choosing to invest money on it. The dual mode mufflers don't help in terms of keeping costs down either.

While the exhaust from Borla is indeed expensive and isn't perfect it does add power. The added growl makes the experience that much better. Ten times better? No. But that's how diminishing returns works when you start out with something so good from the beginning.

Cfirekirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thats my point. For the "keeping the car fully in stock form", any prospective buyer will gladly take a $2000 discount with a resonator delete rather than a car in stock form and $2000 higher sale price:)

Point being, the. Entire reason cannot be plug and play ability. It has to provide much more than just a simple resonator delete.
I can't tell if you want to be talked in to the FP system or out of it. It appears you want to justify just doing the res delete. If the power gains are real and you can tell a difference in improved sound then the FP would be worth the money if you could swing it. I'm not sure why resale value of the car would be a concern at this point. I'm sure if you sold the car down the road you could easily remove the FP system and make a good chunk of your money back reselling it, and not worry about adding it to the price of the car.

As far as true sound comparisons, they just haven't been done yet. You would need to hear both mods in person to truly tell.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
For you guys that like to quote a $2200 number for the FRP/Borla system - do you know someone that actually paid that much?

There are a limited number of power related mods that will maintain the factory warranty. A cat-back is one of them. The GT350 is low volume and as such the aftermarket is careful in choosing to invest money on it. The dual mode mufflers don't help in terms of keeping costs down either.

While the exhaust from Borla is indeed expensive and isn't perfect it does add power. The added growl makes the experience that much better. Ten times better? No. But that's how diminishing returns works when you start out with something so good from the beginning.
I have asked every retailer that sells the exhaust and was told not a penny discount due to the way Ford pricing works. ATAK exhaust can be had for a lot less though. If you can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I can't tell if you want to be talked in to the FP system or out of it. It appears you want to justify just doing the res delete. If the power gains are real and you can tell a difference in improved sound then the FP would be worth the money if you could swing it. I'm not sure why resale value of the car would be a concern at this point. I'm sure if you sold the car down the road you could easily remove the FP system and make a good chunk of your money back reselling it, and not worry about adding it to the price of the car.

As far as true sound comparisons, they just haven't been done yet. You would need to hear both mods in person to truly tell.
Either is possible:)

My argument is I m the kind of guy who will lose sleep over the fact that I spent 10x more for the same thing (lets leave the 30hp aside now). Its not a matter of swinging it, financially no problem but its more of a conceptual problem. Its like warren buffet being the richest person but he wouldnt waste a penny.

The entire exhaust system of the R sells for $2200. That includes primary and secondary cats. When you consider that, you are getting 60% of that system for 100% price and the sound is probably identical to the resonator delete.

If the GT350/R/FP all have a straight pipe in the muffler for the sport mode then the only 2 differences are pipe diameter and resonator. We all know pipe diameter doesnt make anything louder which implies taking the resonators out will make the stock exhaust sound as loud as the FP system.

Cfirekirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You aren't paying 10x more for the same thing. With the FP you get
-to avoid taking a sawzall to your stock exhaust
-higher quality steel
-larger diameter
-true x-pipe
-hp gains
-better quality mufflers with increased flow
-weight savings
-although the sound may be similar to a res delete, I imagine many of the above would
combine to produce a slightly different tone

There was a small group by for this exhaust at $1800 not long ago.
Sponsored