Sponsored

Failed Auto transmission after just 3 weeks and 400 kms!

GTcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Mustang Fastback
Has anyone experienced, or heard about this problem?

After finally picking up my new GT auto Mustang 3 weeks ago here in Australia after a 12 months wait, and having just driven 400 kms, the car would not move in Drive or Reverse.

With a push, it was able to be driven very very slowly at high revs.

My dealership service department said it is definitely a problem with the TRANSMISSION - probably the torque converter and/or pump!

They will know more tomorrow after they have fully drained the oil and examined the transmission.

FEELING FRUSTRATED AS THIS IS MY FIRST EVER NEW CAR!
Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Sorry to hear, that totally sucks. A pretty rare occurance as AT's are not very failure prone.
Getting the problem diagnosed is one thing, having your car down forever waiting on parts could be another. Good luck in getting this resolved in a timely manner.

Jack79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda's
hopefully they have a spare sitting down at the Melbourne headquarters...

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
This is NOT normal. Something went very wrong. It could be as simple as a foreign object in the pump system (Manufacturing failure to properly clean the parts) or even a lack of proper fluid level.

There are multiple pumps in these autos and the torque converter giving up sounds very possible.

Sorry to hear your auto quit...

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Infant mortality can happen in any device. My buddy who flies a brand new airplane had a landing gear actuator split after 30 hours of time. Happens. I'm sure you'll get fixed up and running in no time.

Sponsored

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
To chime in on this guy's I was changing tunes with them sct tuner. and forgot to set it back to stock. well now they car gives me code P163F and states transmission I'd block corrupted not programmed. I'm really bummed out will it ever worked again

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
To chime in on this guy's I was changing tunes with them sct tuner. and forgot to set it back to stock. well now they car gives me code P163F and states transmission I'd block corrupted not programmed. I'm really bummed out will it ever worked again
Say what?
1463595860.46099018.jpg

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Has anyone experienced, or heard about this problem?

After finally picking up my new GT auto Mustang 3 weeks ago here in Australia after a 12 months wait, and having just driven 400 kms, the car would not move in Drive or Reverse.

With a push, it was able to be driven very very slowly at high revs.

My dealership service department said it is definitely a problem with the TRANSMISSION - probably the torque converter and/or pump!

They will know more tomorrow after they have fully drained the oil and examined the transmission.

FEELING FRUSTRATED AS THIS IS MY FIRST EVER NEW CAR!
Sorry to hear that! At least it's covered under the warranty...I wonder if the fluid might have been underfilled at the factory, or maybe if it developed a leak?:shrug:

Unless you've been doing something like drag racing, I definitely wouldn't suspect user error...had you been putting it in Drive, or shifting with the paddles? About 95% certain there's no way to destroy the automatic (i.e. the computer will force a shift into another gear if you do something really bone-headed). Any line locks? :D

OP
OP

GTcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on gearbox failure....

Sorry about not updating my problem with auto gearbox.

After the car was up on the hoist for 3 weeks, and no problem found with the gearbox (torque converter & pump both OK), Ford in Melbourne finally sent a new gearbox to the service department to have installed.

All been going good since then, which was in May 2016.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
So they never found the issue and just swapped in another gear box? At least it has been running well now, just a bad unit which you pulled the unlucky straw on :(

Sponsored
OP
OP

GTcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So they never found the issue and just swapped in another gear box? At least it has been running well now, just a bad unit which you pulled the unlucky straw on :(
The Service Dept cleaned up the torque converter and pump, and could not find any fault with them. They did not want to put it all back in and the same thing happens.

With the car just over a week old and after 3 weeks in the Service Dept, I contacted Ford Aust myself and they said were waiting on their engineering department to make a decision.
I lost my patience and said that I needed a resolution to this.

A new gearbox was then sent up from Melbourne that day, and installed that week.

It appears no-one else has had this problem in Australia or the US, and you guys are over a year ahead of us in getting these new Mustangs.

It always happens to me - if there's a one in a million chance of something going wrong, it will happen to me!

Anyway, its been a good story to tell people!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I am gonna guess something in the wiring is loose.
Sponsored