Safe temps for stock summer tires??

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
NOOBIE here.....I have the stock 20" summer tires. Was thinking about trying some runs this weekend, high temps are supposed to be about 65...I expect temps to be Mid to upper 50's for my runs. The question is, will the stock summer tires have any grip?. On the street they seem to be crap below 60....
Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Air the rears down to 25psi warm. And for god's, if it starts to wheel hop LET OFF! I saw 2 Mustangs this past weekend at a local test and tune break their driver's side axle/halfshaft.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
the track is prepped so you'll have a little more traction. Air the tires down. Don't launch real hard. And if it gets squirrelly going down the track. Just get out of it.

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
Air the rears down to 25psi warm. And for god's, if it starts to wheel hop LET OFF! I saw 2 Mustangs this past weekend at a local test and tune break their driver's side axle/halfshaft.

I saw a guy that didn't let out on wheel hop this weekend, went back for second run and snapped the driver side axle trying to do a burnout!

OP
OP

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Fully stock setup will snap half shafts??? I thought you had to have Mods to break them.....

Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a guy that didn't let out on wheel hop this weekend, went back for second run and snapped the driver side axle trying to do a burnout!

Wait a minute....I met you!!!! :cheers: I had the black, skinny tire GT that barely broke into the 11's :frusty: Until they get some actual racing and prep because of it, Edgewater is a wash.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fully stock setup will snap half shafts??? I thought you had to have Mods to break them.....

#1 killer of half shafts is the oscillation your tires created when they lose and gain traction...regardless of power.

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
Wait a minute....I met you!!!! :cheers: I had the black, skinny tire GT that barely broke into the 11's :frusty: Until they get some actual racing and prep because of it, Edgewater is a wash.
Yes, that's me!:cheers: It was nice meeting you and your car was moving!

I need to get some tires to get the car to 60 for decent 11's!

Edgewater was a wash, the track was green and got even slicker as the day went on....:tsk:
Sponsored