Sponsored

paint chip touch up

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
After taking delivery of my car I noticed a paint chip. Brought to dealer thinking they would outsource the work, only to get called a few hours after dropping it off to be told "it's ready". Fuck, I thought to myself, it can't be properly done...

My color is lightning blue.

http://i.imgur.com/aqVV3Dy.jpg

Surely I can do better myself. I thinking of using LANGKA blob remover to get the GREEN PAINT BLOB?? off, then using Dr Colorchip method to fill it better. I know its not gonna disappear, but I can't imagine the end result will be worse then what the dealership returned to me.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
I've used Dr. Color chip in the front bumper of my Wimbledon White and it never looks perfect but if you keep repeating you can get close. Repeating over and over help get the paint flush so you can't see the chip. It takes patience and time. For me, the Wimbledon White color was a perfect match. They also matched the color of my wife's MDX extremely well too. I didn't have as much patience with hers :-)

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
that looks like a rush job and a bad color match

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Yea looks like they just dabbed a blob with the brush quickly.

I learned a trick a long time ago from and old body man and still haven't found anything to this day that works as well.

Get yourself a pack of matches. The 2cent paper kind and rip one out of the book.

Cut the end you just ripped off at a 45 degree angle leaving it come to almost a point.

Take your touch up and blob some on a post it note. Take your paper match and dip the cut end into the paint. Make sure there isn't a blob at the end. Touch/press the match into the chip and some paint will flow out of threach match like a paint brush. For a scratch fill the scratch in by lightly dragging the cut end thorough the scratch.

After a few times of practice and you nail it you'll wonder why you ever used those brushes or marker things to apply touch up! They make the chip more noticeable.

You don't want to leave a blob like they did there unless you want to wet sand it down then buff ect which is alot of work for a small chip and leaves more room for eff ups if you don't know what your doing.

Instead aim over a few applications to have the chip /scratch end up as level to the paint as possible for the least noticeable repair.

There's also Dr colorchip. But for a chip here and there I'll use the match trick any day.
Sponsored