Sponsored

Disappointing dyno numbers

Jloui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Guard GT 50th anniversary pack 6MT.
Finally installed a Whipple on my GT and was surprised with the poor results.

Pre-mods dyno was 393rwhp and 364rwtrq.
Here's a list of what has been done so far:
- 2.9L Whipple+ 132mm throttle body.
- kooks LTH.
- SW catback.
- ID1000 injectors.
- JMS fule pump booster.
- Lund tune.

Last dyno run result was 500rwhp@ >6000rpm, as the rpm limiter was lowered for some reason!

Any idea on what might went wrong here?, as I was expecting over 570rwhp from what I have observed from other members results!

==========UPDATE!==========

Ok , the issue is clear and makes sense now.

Lundc Racing is taking the tune a step at a time, as its a Middle East spec motor that users deferent gade of petrol with deferent ECU setup, and it's a first tune for Lund on a ME spec car.
Last dyno run last night was 580rwhp@6300(limited)rev/min, Lund expects to see 620-650rwbhp once there done with the final tune with the rpm set at 7000.
image.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ruby red GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby red premium GT
Dyno hp numbers can very with the type of dyno. If you think there is a problem with the tune you can contact whipple or have it retuned by a tuner.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Advance trac on? Fuse pulled?

Pull made in 5th gear?
Advance trac and pulling fuses doesnt matter on the dyno, within 5 seconds of the rear tires spinning with the front stationary, all those systems default and shut down. I never did any of that on the dyno.

5th gear wont work, gotta use 4th otherwise the speed limiter kicks in. Which I wonder if was his problem with limiting at 6000?

Still should have been making like 570 like he was thinking even with stopping at 6000rpm... but Lund might not tune as aggressively for 93 as the Whipple house tune.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Dyno hp numbers can very with the type of dyno. If you think there is a problem with the tune you can contact whipple or have it retuned by a tuner.
Hes on a dynojet which is what most of us are comparing on.

Although most of us are using STD correction on this forum which would have given him another 10-15hp over the SAE it looks like they might be using based on his original graph.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Advance trac and pulling fuses doesnt matter on the dyno, within 5 seconds of the rear tires spinning with the front stationary, all those systems default and shut down. I never did any of that on the dyno.

5th gear wont work, gotta use 4th otherwise the speed limiter kicks in. Which I wonder if was his problem with limiting at 6000?

Still should have been making like 570 like he was thinking even with stopping at 6000rpm... but Lund might not tune as aggressively for 93 as the Whipple house tune.
With lund tune, speed limit should be set to 200mph. Also rev limiter is set to 7500 (at least the NA tunes are), so not sure why OP is only seeing 6000ish. Maybe, the speed limiter didn't get raised and, as you say, it is bumping off of that around 6000?

I'd do some logging and send to lund. Though you must have already done that for the SC tune?

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I just dropped $830 to get setup for a Lund tune... so hopefully I dont lose too much power myself. I did it because my car has been running super lean after 7000rpm (13:1 a/f at redline) for a few months now and I couldnt wait any longer for Whipple to get me an updated tune.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I just dropped $830 to get setup for a Lund tune... so hopefully I dont lose too much power myself. I did it because my car has been running super lean after 7000rpm (13:1 a/f at redline) for a few months now and I couldnt wait any longer for Whipple to get me an updated tune.
They were great to work with for my tune. I'd guess if you are running lean up top, you will lose a bit of power there when brought down to safe levels. But who knows, they will probably work magic and get you more overall.

OP
OP

Jloui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Guard GT 50th anniversary pack 6MT.
With lund tune, speed limit should be set to 200mph. Also rev limiter is set to 7500 (at least the NA tunes are), so not sure why OP is only seeing 6000ish. Maybe, the speed limiter didn't get raised and, as you say, it is bumping off of that around 6000?

I'd do some logging and send to lund. Though you must have already done that for the SC tune?
We have been sending data logging to Lund for a while, frist run was around 450rwhp! The speed limiter should be erased as I understood. If things don't work out within the next couple of days, I might seek a deferent tuner.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
They were great to work with for my tune. I'd guess if you are running lean up top, you will lose a bit of power there when brought down to safe levels. But who knows, they will probably work magic and get you more overall.
Well I sent them my current dyno graphs and they said flat out they will be de-tuning my 93 tune, and they dont want to run the engine as aggressive on 93 octane as my Whipple tune does. Although this might have something to do with Whipples custom programming allowing them to integrate more safety features, perhaps making it perfectly safe to push the tune harder. I dont know, but I trusted my Whipple tune until I put the LTH in and it started going so lean on top.

I will be moving to E85 immediately after we get my 93 tune squared away... so I wont mind losing power on 93 anyway, but I would prefer to still have maybe 650rwhp.

If I dont make at least a little more power on E85 with my Lund tune than I did 93 on Whipple tune, I will probably be quite a bit disappointed as I will have like $3500 invested in the tuning and fuel system changes to accommodate it.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
We have been sending data logging to Lund for a while, frist run was around 450rwhp! The speed limiter should be erased as I understood. If things don't work out within the next couple of days, I might seek a deferent tuner.
Not erased. Set to 200mph - at least mine was. Does it die at ~6,000rpm in every gear?

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
The last 1500 rpm is another 100HP. Make sure the speed limiter is off.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Also I suppose it is worth asking how long ago you sent the ECU in for the tune? Just so we can gauge how recent of a tune you have.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Make sure to run 4th gear.

Make sure to disconnect front wheel speed sensor to disable ABS system. The 2015's consistently grab the rear brakes on the chassis dyno and its hard to tell when in the vehicle testing.

On 93 octane, or your 98 octane, it should be around 700rwhp at 7500rpm if you have a manual. Auto would be down about 30-40rwhp.
Sponsored