Sponsored

UPR Vs. Mishimoto Catch Can? Any other options?

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
Hey all, been lurking the forums for a while and finally decided to register.

Long story short, I have a '15 Ecoboost Premium PP on order and want to have a catch can ready to install the night I take delivery.

Seems the only two offerings at the moment are from UPR and Mishimoto.

What are the pros and cons of each can and are there any manufacturers releasing a catch can in the near future worth waiting for?

From my research it seems the UPR is the better of the two but my only worry is that the placement of the can may interfere with a turbo upgrade later down the road?

Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated!​
Sponsored

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
flip a coin and pick. UPR is cheaper I do believe for the single can CCV side, their dual setup is like $250 I think and you might not need the PCV side

OP
OP

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
flip a coin and pick. UPR is cheaper I do believe for the single can CCV side, their dual setup is like $250 I think and you might not need the PCV side
It would be between the UPR Dual vs. the Mishi. I would want the most protection possible

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Hey all, been lurking the forums for a while and finally decided to register.

Long story short, I have a '15 Ecoboost Premium PP on order and want to have a catch can ready to install the night I take delivery.

Seems the only two offerings at the moment are from UPR and Mishimoto.

What are the pros and cons of each can and are there any manufacturers releasing a catch can in the near future worth waiting for?

From my research it seems the UPR is the better of the two but my only worry is that the placement of the can may interfere with a turbo upgrade later down the road?

Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated!​
Great plan with having a catch can ready to install before putting substantial mileage on the car. You have certainly been doing your research. Selecting the right setup is essentially a preference. We have no experience with the UPR unit, only testing results from our kit and product development.

We installed a catch can on both the crankcase breather and PCV lines for testing. After putting mileage on our 2015 EB (including both road driving and dyno runs), we found that the PCV accumulated a great deal of fluid while the breather line remained dry. We decided to offer a kit which spliced our baffled catch can into the PCV line. We retain factory PCV functionality and our kit is a complete direct-fit setup.

One of the big features of our catch can is the internal baffle system and bronze filter. We use a baffle to prevent fluid sloshing during hard cornering. Additionally, the baffle provides an additional surface for fluid to condense. Our 50-micron bronze filter, which is used within all of our catch can kits) has proven to be highly effective at separating contaminants. Our entire design/development process (including test data) is highlighted within our engineering blog at the link below.

http://engineering.mishimoto.com/?cat=207

We have numerous forum members running our kit, hopefully a few will chime in with their individual results. In short, we designed a very nice kit that has proven to be very effective for the EB. It is easy to install and quite simple to service.

Our opinion is a bit biased (we designed it!), so hopefully a few of our customers will chime in here with their thoughts.

Let me know if I can answer any questions about our catch can setup!

Thanks
-John

Sponsored

Diablocoastie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue EB (SOLD)
Would a universal catch can be safe or should I use ok to but and use. Serves the same purpose as the two specifically for EB Mustang right?

OVRKILL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built '91 Land Cruiser, '15 EB PP MT
I went with the UPR dual valve because it will evacuate the crankcase at all times instead of only under intake manifold vacuum. Boost is when you get the most piston blow-by anyway.

I'm sure that the Mishi is a solid product as well, I just prefer overkill.

If you do go UPR and you want it far away from a big turbo, you could always mount the can next to the radiator with a simple right angle bracket and run a slightly longer line to the turbo inlet. The oil pan line which I have routed by the fuel pump can go in front.

Last edited:

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Would a universal catch can be safe or should I use ok to but and use. Serves the same purpose as the two specifically for EB Mustang right?

I don't think a universal can will have the OEM disconnects that I know UPR uses, not sure about Mishi; if you use a universal and want to connect to the orfice on the drivers side there is no way you are going to get a clamp/screwdriver in there to tighten it, it is a challenge just trying to get the OEM line off and the new one on and it is just a push on connector.

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
That we are aware UPR are the only ones to have the proper system to correct the Ecoboost's pcv system(Dual Valve System).The dual valve system offers the greatest level of protection for the ecoboost engine. The Plug and Play Kit, offers good protection, but with a simplified system(Single Valve).
Secondly the UPR chambered cans have unprecedented oil seperation abilities. We have tested the UPR cans on all types of ecoboost applications and they do not disappoint.(I run one in my GT.)

UPR Ecoboost Catch Cans w/ Free Shipping:
http://www.makperformance.com/2015-Ecoboost-Mustang-23L-Catch-Cans_c_1101.html

OP
OP

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
Ok. And last question: Do any other companies have plans to release a catch can or have one in development? Cobb? Full-Race?

Sponsored

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
Universal cans while they may appear similar are usually not designed internally for substantial seperation. They are usually just hollow cans with a filter element inside.(Ebay universal Catch Cans).
All of the UPR cans are much more complex inside than your run of the mill universal can. In that regard while it will still catch something on your ecoboost, you will leave a lot to be desired from running on of those cans.

Here is a sample of the interior of a UPR Can.

TRACK-STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
black 2015 mustang ecoboost 6spd
Does anything need to be cleaned or just remove the can drain and reinstall do the upr duel valve catch can?

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
you just remove and drain catch cans then put them back on, unless you got a valve kit and hose then you just turn the valve and drain it into a pan.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
My UPR dual valve catch can came with a 1/4 turn drain valve, that screws into the bottom of the can. No need to spin off the can bottom to drain. The drain valve has a tapered outlet to attach a temporary drain tube. But I found the easiest way is to hold a small plastic cup under the valve to catch the couple of ounces of captured oil. Much more convenient than trying to dump the bottom of the catch can.