Sponsored

FRPP X-pipe vs. Borla Resonator Catback W/Headers (Videos)

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Had FRPP Touring by Borla catback and thought it was great. Then added Kooks catted headers and it brought out some rasp. Bought the Borla resonator to quiet it down and it did. A lot. Inside I can barely tell I have exhaust even with the headers. This is way to quiet for me but wanted to show the comparison for others. I'll try to get an in cabin video but it might be silent...

Comparison (All videos have the Kooks headers):

[ame]

Borla Resonator Driving:

[ame]

X-Pipe Driving:

[ame]
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Great job with the videos!

The mid-muffler/resonator definitely made a huge difference. I prefer a sharper exhaust note but that does sound very nice overall.

OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks, so much is preference. I want something with the tone of with the Borla resonator but much louder, thought the headers would get there but still too quiet. Looking at louder axlebacks to pair up with the resonator, anyone know if that will make much of a difference or not really?

OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Here's some in cabin revs and WOT 1st & 2nd gear. Windows up then windows down.

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'll add them to my watch list. So do you think changing mufflers alone will make a significant difference (I'm assuming axleback and mufflers are the same)? I'm still trying to learn exactly what each part of the full system affects the overall sound. That resonator quieted down everything way more then I thought.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
very nice

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
My ears enjoy the Borla the most TY!

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Borla touring with the kooks sounds amazing! Do the kooks require a tune with highflow cats?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Borla touring with the kooks sounds amazing! Do the kooks require a tune with highflow cats?
I was able to use the same Lund tune from my intake and exhaust to adding the catted hi flow long tubes. Still way to quiet for me but going to leave it for the drag tonight and road course next week then probably add roush axle back. Would like to test a sport exhaust so there's no cutting but pretty hard to do that.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thanks for posting this! I have an S-Type catback, but was a little hesitant to add headers down the line because I thought it would be obnoxiously loud (I was actually looking at Kooks catted headers as well). Looks like I'll just buy the Borla resonator if it's too loud for me. :thumbsup:

Now if I can just get over my hangup about tuning a car that still has a warranty... (and the cost and hassle of installing headers...)

arcadewilco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Race Red
[MENTION=13650]Mark5825[/MENTION] Where did you buy the resonator? I have your exact same set up - Kooks Green Catted Headers and Ford Racing Touring. Its way to raspy and annoying now.

I'd like to go for a deeper tone at a few decibals lower. However, it seems that the borla resonator is too quiet. Any other options you'd consider?

DanVoels

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'll add them to my watch list. So do you think changing mufflers alone will make a significant difference (I'm assuming axleback and mufflers are the same)? I'm still trying to learn exactly what each part of the full system affects the overall sound. That resonator quieted down everything way more then I thought.
If I were going to do it all over again, I might just leave the stock mufflers and spend only $50 to $75 on having the resonator replaced with straight pipe at a local shop. I went the other direction:

Flowmaster 40's welded in. Deep, but too quiet.
Replaced resonator with straight pipe. FFS, it's louder than a 505 now.
Put the resonator back on while awaiting an X Pipe.
This, too, will probably be a mistake. We'll see tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the best sounding S550 that I've heard thus far was one with stock manifolds, stock mid pipe and a Ford Racing cat back. Deep. Loud but not obnoxious. No drone.

My two cents,
-D.

Update: Welded in the Ford Racing X this morning - finally sounds proper! Love it

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Borla website. I'm going to buy either the roush or Borla s type axleback (probably roush in a couple weeks) to replace the frpp touring. I've heard plenty systems that sound great but without headers. Whenever most people show off their exhaust at meets its parked revs or low speeds so even the raspy ones sound good. Even with 50ish 2015's last night I don't think very many had headers.
Sponsored