Auto Tranny Issue/Question

Ruby5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT, 50th Anniversary, Ruby Red
I have a 15 GT Premium with the 3:15 axle and at trans. So far I have 2200 miles on the car. It seems to me that whenever I am sitting at a light and it turns, as soon as i give it gas, the trans has to pick up slack before the car actually starts to move. It does this if the car is parked and you put it into gear and give it the gas too. Even driving stop and go, whenever I hit the gas pedal while rolling, it still takes the trans a half second to catch and go. Is this normal for these things ? I've never had a trans that required that much slack or time to engage to move. Thanks guys :cheers:
Sponsored

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Have you tried going into S and manually shifting with the paddles to see if it behaves the same? There is some delay built into the throttle mapping as you start to push the throttle. Sport tames this down some.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Have you tried going into S and manually shifting with the paddles to see if it behaves the same? There is some delay built into the throttle mapping as you start to push the throttle. Sport tames this down some.

It's not the throttle mapping.

What you are feeling is basically the car goes to N to improve gas mileage. When you begin to accelerate, it has to shift into a gear appropriate for the speed. If it bothers you that much, use sport + or, as he said, S on the shifter. But, in the shifter, if you use the paddle once, it won't shift itself then unless you go to D then back to S. Be warned, using S or sport+ mode will affect your mileage negatively.

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It's not the throttle mapping.

What you are feeling is basically the car goes to N to improve gas mileage. When you begin to accelerate, it has to shift into a gear appropriate for the speed. If it bothers you that much, use sport + or, as he said, S on the shifter. But, in the shifter, if you use the paddle once, it won't shift itself then unless you go to D then back to S. Be warned, using S or sport+ mode will affect your mileage negatively.
Have any documentation on the N thing? That is technically illegal, car's cannot coast in neutral last I checked. I've also never experienced mine shit into gear like that.

I think torque management and throttle control is what most are experiencing.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Have any documentation on the N thing? That is technically illegal, car's cannot coast in neutral last I checked. I've also never experienced mine shit into gear like that.

I think torque management and throttle control is what most are experiencing.

Err, no. You're right. Now that you say that, I'm thinking it's just as high a gear as possible.

When I data logged mine, it definitely wasn't throttle related. Just takes a hair of time for the trans to see what's going on and get in the right gear.

Sponsored

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well you quoted my typo, I can't fix it......I think it still fits :)

OP
OP
Ruby5.0

Ruby5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
So what I think I'm hearing is that as the car speed drops like for a stop sign or red light, the trans downshifts automatically (like all auto transmissions) only at a certain point, it floats into neutral to keep the idle at a better place for mileage purposes and then when you go to accelerate, the trans has to pick a gear, which takes a half second or so, but as you accelerate the trans tries to adjust/keep up which in reality appears like it is almost slipping until it does grab and then it is game on.
If there is a delay built into the throttle response, can someone (tuner) adjust it out of there ? If I was concerned about the mileage I wouldn't have bought a 2015 Mustang GT with the 5.0. When I hit the throttle, I want it to go, no hesitation, like the muscle cars are supposed to do. Imagine trying to get the best time possible at the drags when your transmission is hesitating before it grabs. That is unacceptable. I have to take it in soon for a something else, and will make it a point to bring this to their attention. If someone else has any other thoughts, please don't hesitate to let us all know.

rbarbieri_74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Focus ST
That hesitation you are noticing is your torque converter locking up after unlocking when you come to a standstill ie stopping at a light or what not. If your in D every time you stop for more than lets say 5 to 10 seconds the torque converter unlocks to save fuel. If the sensation bothers you try leaving it in S as others have said or grab the plus paddle and make the tranny grab first gear and it will keep the the converter locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ruby5.0

Ruby5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
rbarbieri_74, that explanation makes sense to me. I can see the torque converter unlocking as the car sits at a light. I do leave it in Drive most of the time, so that would explain the hesitation when it comes time to go. In fact, many times as the car is slowing for a light, I can feel the transmission seeking/hunting for the right gear. sometimes I can actually feel the downshift taking place. With all that said though, today on the way home, I started passing a new Corvette which promptly floored it, so I was obliged to do the same. I was amazed at how fast the 5.0 caught a gear and took off. By the time I actually saw I was pulling away from the Vette and looked at the speedo, it was passing through 140. For those that think this crazy, the road is a 4 lane with very wide grass median, straight for miles and nothing in front of us. It is way out of any town/city limits and in fact connects 2 counties. Anyway, I backed off and the guy in the Vette caught up and just gave me a thumbs up. By this time we were a couple miles outside the entrance to the small town I live so he went one way and I another. Pretty cool experience and am still amazed at how quick that car hit that speed.

CAPRI RS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 50th anniversary
My 2015 auto is lazy in the 1st to 2nd shift...almost like it flairs a lil bit...

Sponsored

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Get it check out by the dealer , my auto doesn't do anything like that ..

cantang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 auto
2015 V6 auto

hey guys, new to the forum.

i have a a similar problem but i see it when im shifting from reverse into D. it takes a hell of a time to get going, almost like there is no drive until it hits around 1200 RPM then it bolts, . the rest of the shifting is fine and its great fun in sport mode using the paddles but the lag from R to D is driving me nuts. FORD say that its normal but im not so sure. every auto trans i have ever used is instant drive when shifting from R to D, even made sure to check the wifes 2015 Escape, R to D instant drive.

anY IDEAS????:frusty:

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
TUNE!!!!
Sponsored