Whipple induction modifications.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I just wanted to share this project here as I've been in IAT Kill mode for some time now. Winter is long and projects get wacky, I like to try shit. This by no means is refference to a poor design or exceedingly hot temps form the Whipple kit, in fact I can't be sure it will have much affect except for the closed air box and snorkel ram air system I already did which for sure does reduce inlet temps.

The material I used is double bubble insulator, same stuff I used to enclose the air box. This time I wrapped the inlet elbow completely and also did the inside of the box and lid. The system is now completely insulated from underhood engine heat and only draws air from the ram air snorkel setup. I covered the inlet with some material for now, but will be making a proper sleave with Velcro that is removable. I'll post back in the spring with the results with some IAT data. This of course is mostly effecting IAT1 inlet air but in the end that effect IAT2 post blow temps as well.
Sponsored

Last edited:

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
Looks good. I am wanting to do this to mine. I will have to find my stock intake to rob the snorkel from. I have a roll on reflectix bubble wrap and aluminum tape sitting in my shed.

What is the black stuff you covered the intake tube with?

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
looks legit
Looks good. I am wanting to do this to mine. I will have to find my stock intake to rob the snorkel from. I have a roll on reflectix bubble wrap and aluminum tape sitting in my shed.

What is the black stuff you covered the intake tube with?
Your gonna laugh, it's a piece of spandex cut to size and is temporary until I have a cover made to fit with Velcro. I want the entire thing be be removable.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Your gonna laugh, it's a piece of spandex cut to size and is temporary until I have a cover made to fit with Velcro. I want the entire thing be be removable.
I never would of guessed but it looks good and hides the double bubble insulation. I never did like the look of insulated intake tubes but yours looks good wrapped like that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Thanks again and here is my light show. Also the drivers side is the functional ram air inlet and the pass side is a copy just for looks and symmetry. Velostech made it
for me and is now selling kits like mine for the front grill look.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
how effective is this?
Only the closed air box has been tested and that is a reduction alone of 25 degrees at least at hot engine idle and slow traffic driving where heat builds up. The full insulation of the airbox and the inlet has not been tested yet as I'm in winter storage.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally decided to pull the air box out and try this. I noticed the other day sitting in traffic for about 10-15 minutes the intake temps climbed pretty quick to 50-60 degrees above ambient. I found the stock intake and cut the snorkel from it. I cut it about 3.5" from the gasket. I sealed the box up and lined the inside and lid with insulation. I also left the very bottom with no insulation and drilled 2 water drain holes in case water does some how get in there.

On my short test drive the intake temps only got 3 degrees above ambient.

In order to get the air filter back on I had to build the whole air box outside the car then put it in and position the snorkel gasket over the air inlet. I also rotated the MAF housing and the MAF sensor comes straight in from the bottom now.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Zuki Dan thanks for posting your pics, looks like a really I nice job my friend. Now 2 things for me post a pic of your MAF orientation since you say you turned it. Also could you get a really good hot reading on your intake like get the engine heat soaked and then Park for 5 minutes after a good solid cruise basically like pulling of a Hwy from 50 mph. Then get a temp reading and time how long and at what temp it rises to over ambient.

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I just wanted to share this project here as I've been in IAT Kill mode for some time now. Winter is long and projects get wacky, I like to try shit. This by no means is refference to a poor design or exceedingly hot temps form the Whipple kit, in fact I can't be sure it will have much affect except for the closed air box and snorkel ram air system I already did which for sure does reduce inlet temps.

The material I used is double bubble insulator, same stuff I used to enclose the air box. This time I wrapped the inlet elbow completely and also did the inside of the box and lid. The system is now completely insulated from underhood engine heat and only draws air from the ram air snorkel setup. I covered the inlet with some material for now, but will be making a proper sleave with Velcro that is removable. I'll post back in the spring with the results with some IAT data. This of course is mostly effecting IAT1 inlet air but in the end that effect IAT2 post blow temps as well.
Haha, you just can't leave well enough alone. Always tinkering. I'm surprised you havent tried placing the filter in the fender yet.
Keep it up man :cheers:

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good stuff Zuki. I just got to measuring today and was going to make a step by step how to but yours does the trick. Now, just have to get the sound tube back in and do Shawn's sound mod haha

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Haha, you just can't leave well enough alone. Always tinkering. I'm surprised you havent tried placing the filter in the fender yet.
Keep it up man :cheers:
Long cold winters here keep me in project mode too long. I just can't seem to leave well enough alone. :crazy:
Good stuff Zuki. I just got to measuring today and was going to make a step by step how to but yours does the trick. Now, just have to get the sound tube back in and do Shawn's sound mod haha
LMK how you like the sound tube, and please post pics with your impressions and or video on the sound tube DIY thread here. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43352&highlight=Whipple+whine

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT