suspension upgrades without lowering

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
Like the title says im looking to do some suspension upgrades and NOT lower the car much if at all. As is i scrape on some of the roads and driveways i travel, plus i dont really like the lowered look on these cars. I want to firm up the ride a bit, but its a dd and i take it on long trips frequently so i still want to keep it comfortable with as little nvh added as possible.

Coil overs are not in the budget right now.

Ive already got a set of pp springs and im working out a deal for a set of pp sways. I like the sound of the cradle lockout so that will probably come soon as well.

any suggestions on shocks/struts? should i look for a set of pp dampers or spend a bit more for konis?

thanks
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Like the title says im looking to do some suspension upgrades and NOT lower the car much if at all. As is i scrape on some of the roads and driveways i travel, plus i dont really like the lowered look on these cars. I want to firm up the ride a bit, but its a dd and i take it on long trips frequently so i still want to keep it comfortable with as little nvh added as possible.

Coil overs are not in the budget right now.

Ive already got a set of pp springs and im working out a deal for a set of pp sways. I like the sound of the cradle lockout so that will probably come soon as well.

any suggestions on shocks/struts? should i look for a set of pp dampers or spend a bit more for konis?

thanks
Nick, where are you located precisely?

I have a 2016GT PP that I daily drive with a few mods, you could swing by our place and take the car for a spin to see how you like the PP Spring, Damper and Bar combo with the IRS mods.

I REALLY like my set-up right now.

2016 GT PP
-CB005 Cradle Lockout Kit
-Camber Links
-Vertical Links
-BK051 Diff Lockout

Of course, I am going to end up with a full blown suspension system...but for only these few mods, I really love the car. ;)

OP
OP
jekyllrider@aol.com

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
Nick, where are you located precisely?

I have a 2016GT PP that I daily drive with a few mods, you could swing by our place and take the car for a spin to see how you like the PP Spring, Damper and Bar combo with the IRS mods.

I REALLY like my set-up right now.

2016 GT PP
-CB005 Cradle Lockout Kit
-Camber Links
-Vertical Links
-BK051 Diff Lockout

Of course, I am going to end up with a full blown suspension system...but for only these few mods, I really love the car. ;)
im on the East coast actually (PSL), but ill definitely keep this in mind if om over that way!

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I definitely recommend the cradle lockout kit (CB005) from the guys over at BMR. Excellent product that provides improvements in almost any situation. The enormous slop in the cradle is one of the biggest weaknesses in this car IMHO. Like I could feel it moving during DDing, even just accelerating from a stop - the car goes and the rear end literally has to catch up.
And then in cornering, the cradle can move especially if you're on the throttle. That can cause drastic changes to the feeling of the car and hurt some performance and safety in those situations. You don't want to be turning one way and end up pointing the other direction - trust me it's happened to me and luckily I was able to save it. This part will help a lot in this area.

Other parts such as vertical links, toe knuckle bearing and sway bars will improve cornering ability as well. But if you're not getting too serious, I'd just go with the CB005 and see where you're at.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
+1 with the CB005

Huge improvement, wheel hop is gone and rear feels much more planted.
Fairly inexpensive, and easy to install.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd add in doing the rear LCA bearing as well, which is more complex, although from all accounts, definitely worth it.

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
What's the going install price for CB005 Cradle Lockout Kit?
-Camber Links?
-Vertical Links?
-BK051 Diff Lockout?

I am local to the BMR shop too.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I'd add in doing the rear LCA bearing as well, which is more complex, although from all accounts, definitely worth it.
This went a very long way for me, as you know [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION]. Made maybe the biggest improvement of any mod by itself. Even after all the other mods I did, I still noticed a huge improvement.

The cradle lockout still may be the most important - because if the entire cradle moves, everything does.

For the LCA bearing - I would leave that to advanced drivers and just plain idiot nerds (ME) who are bothered about hitting every T. This I think is the best kept secret, the final piece to go from good handling to "dialed in".

The average driver may not care and may not want to make their vehicle react lightning quick. Which is why I wouldn't recommend most ppl do this first. But the improvement is nonetheless very surprising. It will change completely how your car feels.

Also, I highly recommend BMR suspension. I'm not a fanboy and I will try other parts (and I have) but I am a fan. They engineer things based on real experience rather than mathematical engineering, which while just as important, real world experience yields results you can hold in your hand. Which is why at some point it seems if you're racing big time you will end up coming there eventually. I find them to be very honest and forthright about what matters and what doesn't. And BMR does a lot of testing. They just try to break stuff over and over to see what happens. Plus you get a experienced helper and friend in Kelly Aiken who has enormous passion in what he does. Literally, just watch what he posts about and does everyday.

Yes, I may be biased towards BMR and I openly admit that. But it's only bc I've gotten quality, reasonable prices and great customer service from them. So if you're gonna buy suspension bits you can have confidence in getting them from these guys.

Steeda makes some great stuff as well and I have a few of their parts on my car. You really can't go wrong in this game if you do your research. Both of these companies make great stuff and have nothing bad to say about either of them. It's all subjective as to what parts you choose and what you feel afterwards.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What's the going install price for CB005 Cradle Lockout Kit?
-Camber Links?
-Vertical Links?
-BK051 Diff Lockout?

I am local to the BMR shop too.
Not sure they do installs there. It takes about an hour on jackstands.

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Wow. Thanks [MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] that means alot. Holy smokes!

OP
OP
jekyllrider@aol.com

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
ok lots more positive vibes for the cradle lockout. thats sounding like a no brainer lol. any thoughts on shocks struts to go with that and the pp springs and sways?

thanks again.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
ok lots more positive vibes for the cradle lockout. thats sounding like a no brainer lol. any thoughts on shocks struts to go with that and the pp springs and sways?

thanks again.
I'd have to recommend the Steed Pro-Action fixed valve shocks and struts with the stock springs. The ride will be far more controlled, with the floatiness gone, and no loss in comfort.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda or Koni adjustables would be on my list. I've got the Konis and no regrets.

OP
OP
jekyllrider@aol.com

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
I'd have to recommend the Steed Pro-Action fixed valve shocks and struts with the stock springs. The ride will be far more controlled, with the floatiness gone, and no loss in comfort.
Stock meaning base or pp springs?
Sponsored