Sponsored

Jeff B's GT350 Manifold / JLT Intake and Lund tune install

bobbyh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If his linked build journal is up to date, this is what I copied from it....

Exhaust (Stealth Mode):
- Stainless Power Catted Headers (silver ceramic coated)
- Borla 60561 Resonator (instead of the x-pipe that came with my cat-back system)
- Ford Racing Touring exhaust with black tips

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
If his linked build journal is up to date, this is what I copied from it....

Exhaust (Stealth Mode):
- Borla 60561 Resonator (instead of the x-pipe that came with my cat-back system)
- Ford Racing Touring exhaust with black tips
Yes that's the current Exhaust setup. Switching to that Borla resonator really DEEPened the sound signature.

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Jeff brought his car down from Detroit to Cincinnati for us to put some mods too.

He opted for a gt350 intake manifold, JLT Cold Air Intake, and Lund Racing 93 octane custom tune.

Team Beefcake Racing supplied the parts, and our partners at Finish Line Performance handled the wrenching.

Jeff wanted to make sure his engine was up for the RPMs, so we got after it with some Billet OPGS, Crank Sprocket, and an IW balancer!

When all was said and done, some very impressive results up top on this car!!!

This install:
- GT350 JLT
- GT350 Throttle Body
- GT350 intake manifold
- Innovators West balancer
- TSS oil pump gears
- TSS Crankshaft Sprocket Gear
- Lund Tune

Exhaust:
- Ford Racing Touring exhaust with black tips - Borla 60561 Resonator (instead of the x-pipe that comes w/Touring cat-back system)

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I think the difference is the coupler for the larger throttle body on the JLT.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Honestly, seeing that the setup also has headers, the numbers are low.

Was this a dyno tune or an etune?

WestCyril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
Good gains. Catted headers don't really shine as well as Catless. Interesting to see OPG and Crank gear done to only rev out to 7500 rpm. Would expect 7800+

OP
OP
beefcake

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

yes, picking up 60hp up top on an intake / tb install is pretty low............

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
yes, picking up 60hp up top on an intake / tb install is pretty low............
Honestly, he should be making more power. TQ is low across the board and it isn't from the manifold.

Was this an etune or a dyno tune? Can anyone answer this?

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Besides force induction there is not much torque to be gain out of these systems. Stock manifold with full exhaust and intake gives the highest NA torque curve but falls short on top end. Either bigger displacement or force induction is the way to go. Now the 18 mustang will be a different story.

RomanB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0

At 6500rpm the stock manifold peaks at 413hp then falls on its face. From 6500rpm The GT350manifold continues to climb with another 1300rpms of useable power band and and peaks at 436hp. Don't get wrapped up in hard numbers because every dyno is different. The Gt350 manifold completely changes the character of the coyote. 23 HP peak to peak isn't bad, and getting another 1300rpms of pure pull is huge.

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Good gains. Catted headers don't really shine as well as Catless. Interesting to see OPG and Crank gear done to only rev out to 7500 rpm. Would expect 7800+
Those are mods that I wanted done, regardless. Longevity.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
At 6500rpm the stock manifold peaks at 413hp then falls on its face. From 6500rpm The GT350manifold continues to climb with another 1300rpms of useable power band and and peaks at 436hp. Don't get wrapped up in hard numbers because every dyno is different. The Gt350 manifold completely changes the character of the coyote. 23 HP peak to peak isn't bad, and getting another 1300rpms of pure pull is huge.
For sure. I think we're absolutely on the same page in terms of the role dynos play as tuning tools and what a manifold change will do to the powerband.

My comment stems from seeing a couple of recent threads showing Lund dynos with what I perceive to be low TQ for the mods. My questions are based on the desire to figure out if this is all in my head, or if etunes just don't allow for the massaging necessary to achieve optimal VCT manipulation. To be fair, I have self interest in this because I plan to transition to an intake/tune very soon and I'm trying to figure out which vendor will offer the best optimization, or if I should just look for a proper dyno tune from a shop with coyote experience.

OP has a well thought out mod path and I would do a similar set of mods if I was ready to take that direction for my vehicle. Doing the OPGs is safe insurance and I did it on my '14 5.0 soon after swapping on my CJ manifold. The extra powerband is fantastic and it will change the driving experience. Assuming he has 3.73s, that FD will now shine.

OP
OP
beefcake

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Honestly, he should be making more power. TQ is low across the board and it isn't from the manifold.

Was this an etune or a dyno tune? Can anyone answer this?
sure it's from the manifold. thats exactly why torque drops from the before and after

Besides force induction there is not much torque to be gain out of these systems. Stock manifold with full exhaust and intake gives the highest NA torque curve but falls short on top end. Either bigger displacement or force induction is the way to go. Now the 18 mustang will be a different story.
yep, and a flex fuel upgrade with some e85 would help make up where the intake drops,

:)

For sure. I think we're absolutely on the same page in terms of the role dynos play as tuning tools and what a manifold change will do to the powerband.

My comment stems from seeing a couple of recent threads showing Lund dynos with what I perceive to be low TQ for the mods. My questions are based on the desire to figure out if this is all in my head, or if etunes just don't allow for the massaging necessary to achieve optimal VCT manipulation. To be fair, I have self interest in this because I plan to transition to an intake/tune very soon and I'm trying to figure out which vendor will offer the best optimization, or if I should just look for a proper dyno tune from a shop with coyote experience.

OP has a well thought out mod path and I would do a similar set of mods if I was ready to take that direction for my vehicle. Doing the OPGs is safe insurance and I did it on my '14 5.0 soon after swapping on my CJ manifold. The extra powerband is fantastic and it will change the driving experience. Assuming he has 3.73s, that FD will now shine.

the end result is what the change is, not an exact # as every dyno is different
Sponsored