Sponsored

Wrong oil?

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My GT recently had it's first service at the Ford dealership where it was posted.

I noticed when I picked it up that on the itemised bill it said it had been filled with 'Eco Boost' oil. I questioned this at the the time but was assured it would have been the right oil put in and that 'eco boost' would just be the name of the oil.

Thing is, I don't really believe this! I'm attaching an image of the bill, has anyone had a service done at a Ford garage where it says either the same or different on their bill for a GT service?

Obviously, I'm going to bring this up with the garage but past experience tells me it's best to be armed with evidence to avoid being fobbed off.

Cheers
IMG_5457 (1).jpg
Sponsored

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Ecoboost oil is a Ford product and I think its 5w20. Must admit I thought GT was 5w30.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ecoboost oil might just be what they have it itemised on the system as?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
A Ford dealer in the UK will use this stuff for the GT:

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_5w20_ecoboost_magnatec_oil_5ltr__f_1009373_c_1044.htm

My service invoice had it recorded as 5w20 oil or similar, no mention of the Ford or Ecoboost branding. It appears Ford are using the EcoBoost branding for various things, cars, oil, engines etc at the moment. Its not a consistent product line that mandates the same spec oil by any means.

Its Castrol Magnatec 5w20 exactly the same as the stuff out of Halfords with the exception of having a Ford Ecoboost branding on the can. I checked with the mechanic before he filled it, and he showed me the can he was going to use for me to check the weight and make sure it matched the spec in the manual, which it does.

regards
Nick

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
My GT recently had it's first service at the Ford dealership where it was posted.

I noticed when I picked it up that on the itemised bill it said it had been filled with 'Eco Boost' oil. I questioned this at the the time but was assured it would have been the right oil put in and that 'eco boost' would just be the name of the oil.

Thing is, I don't really believe this! I'm attaching an image of the bill, has anyone had a service done at a Ford garage where it says either the same or different on their bill for a GT service?

Obviously, I'm going to bring this up with the garage but past experience tells me it's best to be armed with evidence to avoid being fobbed off.

Cheers
IMG_5457 (1).jpg
Shit man.....with ecoboost oil it's gonna be about 100 Bhp down now:shrug::):D

Seriously though, it doesn't matter if it's 5/20 or 5/30... as long as it's fully synthetic (which it will be) it'll be just fine...

This is one of the reasons I took my own oil though....I like to know exactly what's gone in:ford::D

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Ford use Castrol Magnetic 5W/20 ecoboost oil which meets the Ford specification for our car.

All that is important is whatever oil you use carries the specification which that oil does, there are also a few others with it. :)

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A Ford dealer in the UK will use this stuff for the GT:

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_5w20_ecoboost_magnatec_oil_5ltr__f_1009373_c_1044.htm

My service invoice had it recorded as 5w20 oil or similar, no mention of the Ford or Ecoboost branding. It appears Ford are using the EcoBoost branding for various things, cars, oil, engines etc at the moment. Its not a consistent product line that mandates the same spec oil by any means.

Its Castrol Magnatec 5w20 exactly the same as the stuff out of Halfords with the exception of having a Ford Ecoboost branding on the can. I checked with the mechanic before he filled it, and he showed me the can he was going to use for me to check the weight and make sure it matched the spec in the manual, which it does.

regards
Nick
The oil in that link I think is listed as EcoBoost because it is specified for use in the 1.0L EcoBoost engine. Confusingly, if this oil was used, it would be the correct viscosity for the 5.0L Coyote! To make it even more confusing, FordPartsUK is not part of Ford UK, but is part of the Foray Motor Group - so their branding/listing isn't necessarily the same as other Ford garages.

The handbook specifies 5w20 oil for the GT and 5w30 for the Eco Boost - so there is a difference.

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's fine, this is the stuff I used:http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Castrol...%3A6586f1ae15a0a6a5e9bf79faffed5a39%7Ciid%3A1

Correct for the GT, just so happens to be called ecoboost oil
I don't think it is called EcoBoost oil, it's just LISTED as that as that is one application for it. I'll just trust that my garage have decided to go with that system for their labelling. If it doesn't make too much difference either way. I'll just insist on seeing the container at the next service.

Sponsored

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible

Cheers
IMG_5457 (1).jpg
Out of interest, i assume this was done at the Leeds Ford dealership where we got ours from? Just checking what i should expect them to want in payment in a month or so when i will get mine done. Did you wait while they did it, or did they give you a loaner?

Cheers

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Looking at that invoice....how come they only charged £23 quid for the oil:confused::shrug:

They take 7.6 litres..:)

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at that invoice....how come they only charged £23 quid for the oil:confused::shrug:

They take 7.6 litres..:)
and since when did 4.6 x 7.38 = 23?

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Unknown.jpg
Sponsored