Sponsored

My first track day in the Mustang

ou701

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
For the first time, I selected ‘Track Mode’ and left it there! Traction Control? Who needs it? Certainly not me, with my helmet on and a flag marshal ready to give me the ‘go’ signal…

I had always intended to use my Mustang GT on the track occasionally, just to be able to really wind it out, without having to worry about speed limits, or cops hiding around the next corner. I have enjoyed track days in the past with previous cars and I thought the S550 Mustang had the potential to handle my daily commuting chores and, with a few carefully chosen modifications, work pretty well on the racetrack too. When the car arrived, I delivered it straight to City Performance Centre in Artarmon, Sydney to add a few enhancements from my ‘wish list.’ They fitted ST XTA fully adjustable coil over suspension (made by KW in Germany), a Steeda ‘Stop The Hop’ kit for the rear end and a Steeda G - Trac under-body brace to stiffen up the body.

Then went on to add a set of 20 inch HRE FF01 wheels and Michelin Super Sport 2 tyres, rather than my initial choice of Michelin Cup 2 tyres - the CPC crew warned the ‘Cups’ didn’t like wet weather at all. Probably a wise choice as my Mustang is my daily driver, not a weekend sunny day ‘toy.’ Finally, I also asked CPC to raise the brake pedal so I could heel and toe more easily and fit a Steeda clutch spring. Everything else is mechanically standard, including the engine, exhaust and brakes.

After 9 months of ownership, I took the plunge and decided to try the car at Wakefield Park, near Goulburn - unfortunately on a hot February day, with temperatures in the mid-thirties. Wakefield is a bit tight and twisty for a big, relatively heavy car like the Mustang, but it’s a pretty safe circuit and I know it quite well, having taken part in a few track events there in the past. The plan was to discover more about the car and just have fun rather than to attempt any quick lap times.

Passengers were allowed on the day and my wife (an enthusiastic passenger, luckily for me) came along for the ride while I explored the capabilities of the car, doing my best not to scare either of us. Fortunately, the Mustang felt very confidence inspiring and well balanced right from the start, although getting the power down out of the two tight corners demanded some patience and, especially out of the ultra tight ‘Fish Hook’ corner - an early shift into third was the only way to avoid the back stepping out. Overall, it was about as predictable as you could wish for and, to be totally honest, it’s something I’d found hard to discover on the road because, at most sane/legal speeds, it just goes around corners with masses of grip and next to no roll, except in the wet, of course, when it demands some respect.

The brakes coped pretty well, although the combination of a tight circuit, four hard braking points and an ultra hot day saw the pedal go a bit ‘soft’ after about eight reasonably fast laps. I deliberately braked a little early through the day and made a mental note to consider competition brake fluid, pads and JLT cooling ducts for any future track outings at Wakefield.

After a few more sessions the heat on the track kept on rising, along with the water temperature gauge. Rather than push my luck, I brought it into the pits before the end of a couple of sessions had finished before everything got too hot, although just slowing down for a couple of minutes saw the needle return to ‘Normal.’

The day was organised by a bunch of friendly Alfa Romeo historic racing fanatics (not natural Mustang fans you might imagine), nevertheless the car attracted plenty of attention and compliments, with a few people saying it looked impressively sorted on the track. Interestingly, it was no quicker down the main straight than a couple of fast Golf Type R’s, with 4WD traction out of the entry corner and possibly ‘breathed on’ a little, but I could pull away from them through all the quicker corners. The standard V8 is hardly slow, but who doesn’t want more power? Overall, I’m very happy with my chosen handling – biased set-up, although I know there are countless alternative suspension choices available out there. That’s the great thing about Mustangs – you can make them whatever you want them to be, for less money than most competitors.

I was blown away with how the Mustang went on the track. It was great fun to drive, felt safe (my wife said it felt much less scary than my previous BMW M3 E46) and, apart from my rear number plate falling off (found it in the long grass, luckily), it didn’t put a foot wrong all day. Afterwards, we cruised comfortably home to Sydney, with the air con and seats set on full cool mode as the outside temperature gauge hit 52 degrees (indicated) as we hit the city traffic.

It’s one of the nicest everyday road cars I’ve ever owned (over 55 cars so far, and counting!) and even better than expected on the track. I can’t wait to have another go, hopefully with a set of track ready tyres and brakes. Then, later on, maybe I’ll look for a bit more power…

That’s the trouble with track days – they’re addictive. I’d just had a great day out with my wife, driving the Mustang as fast as I dared, mostly with a big smile on my face and nothing to worry about other than getting the line right for the next corner. For me, that’s about as good as a day can be.
Sponsored

V8 coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Black 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Sounds like a good time. Any photos?

OP
OP

ou701

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Hi,

We didn't take photos, but there was a professional filming with a drone - I'll find out if I can get some footage.

Cheers,
Ian

OaG_sGm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6-speed Manual AUS
Good story.

What is your spring preloads on your front coilovers if you know them

OP
OP

ou701

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Hi there,

I'm afraid I don't have any tech. info. about my coilovers, sorry. I know City Performance Centre said they used the standard setting recommended by ST Coilovers from the factory. Since then, I've had my suspension raised slightly and stiffened at the front because my G-Trac underbody brace would bottom out too easily on road dips. I might consider a strut tower brace later on.
Cheers,
Ian

Sponsored

Mqrko

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marko
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016
Hi Ian,

So how do you find the car as DD compared to the stock?
I also contacted CPC to install my BMR parts and they also offered me to install the ST XTA coilovers as well as the full steeda package.
I'm only interested in the coilovers :)

OP
OP

ou701

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Mustang demo

Hi Ian,

So how do you find the car as DD compared to the stock?
I also contacted CPC to install my BMR parts and they also offered me to install the ST XTA coilovers as well as the full steeda package.
I'm only interested in the coilovers :)
Hi Marko,

Did you get my reply re. demo ride? Contact me on [email protected]

Cheers,
Ian

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
Track report

Hey Ian, thanks for the great report.

I'm keen to track mine soon at Sydney Motorsport Park (still Eastern Creek to me) and will do so soon. We have some similar mods, I have the Shockworks street adjustable coilovers and they have made a huge and positive difference to the cars handling. They are hand adjusted from 1 to 12. I originally had them set to 4 but the manufacture said that for normal street driving they were designed to be on 1, so I did that and it is even grippier now off the mark and around corners at reasonable speeds. The Mustang Motorsport's Targa Mustang GT has them fitted and when they race they have them set to 12 so I may try different settings at the track. But on 12 you need to be in the 150kpm to 250kpm range all day long. It must be like a billycart somewhat.

I have the stock tyres and that will be the next thing I change as soon as I can justify it. I imagine they will be OK in the dry at the track but I would prefer the new Michelin Sport 4 (or whatever they're called).

Mine is lowered about an inch and I have a very large throated Steeda CAI, catbacks and a really great tune, so it does have a bit of extra punch that is quite noticeable over stock.

Interesting that your wife thought it not as scary as the M3 E34, I thought that was a really well sorted track car. I had the V8 M3 E92 for four years and tracked it a bit , I found it so predictable and really quick. I had a mate with a tuned Golf R and he couldn't get near me once we were up and running & I could outbrake him as well which was surprising.

I would think you would need to keep the Mustang in the 4,000 to 6,000 rpm range the entire time on the track as under 3,500 it lacks the instant throttle feel that I'm used to or that you would want on the track. Did you find this to be the case?

I imagine it also sounds great on the track. And that would be worth the price of admission alone.

Lastly how did you find CPC at Artarmon? I think I'll add a GT350 throttle body and GT350 intake manifold plus another tune, and they are close to me.

Cheers,

Phil

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
I have my convertible in at CPC in Artarmon on Thursday for springs, exhaust and wheels. So far, over the phone they have been ok to deal with.

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have my convertible in at CPC in Artarmon on Thursday for springs, exhaust and wheels. So far, over the phone they have been ok to deal with.
Good to know, Please post your experience after you pick it up. Did you shop around price wise? As I've heard they are a bit expensive compared to others, but maybe they are quality, which is worth paying for.

Cheers,

Phil

Sponsored

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
Phil

I am lazy, so didn't shop on price, as they are relatively nearby for me.

However, I did ask about hourly rate = $130 per hour or thereabouts.

I doubt the guys out West are charging that ;)

OP
OP

ou701

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your response. A few answers to your questions/comments:
1. Right from day one I decided I would concentrate on getting the Mustang to handle and grip to my satisfaction and leave the engine mods until later although, interestingly, what you're doing is exactly where I might go - 350 GT intake manifold, throttle body etc.
2. I think my coilovers are still just a bit stiff around town, but great at high speeds, on track etc. Need to experiment more with them.
3. I'm pretty happy with the Super Sports, much better than the Pirellis, but you still have to be a bit careful when it's wet. Huge grip in the dry though. Thinking of getting Toyo R888's for track days eventually, using my original 19 inch wheels. The new Michelins will be excellent, if you fit some, I'm sure.
4. The Mustang does sound pretty good and, yes, you need to keep the revs high on track. I prefer the idea of more revs/power than sticking a big, heavy supercharger on top of the motor. Can't help the handling much, but lots of people just want grunt.
5. CPC seem to know what they are doing and I'm happy with their work so far. I've spoken to them about the GT 350 engine mods. Can't afford them right now as my air -cooled 911 has been costing me a fortune lately, sadly. First, the gear selector went, then the the alternator buggered itself and all the wiring melted in the engine compartment - nobody knows why it didn't catch fire (that's what usually happens, apparently!). I suppose I was lucky, but I still had to pay the repair bills - that's why a Mustang is a better DD - Ford parts prices, not Porsche.
6. My E46 M3 had R spec tyres and sounded pretty angry on track, and I drove it harder than the Mustang, I think that's why my wife felt less happy in it.
7. Interesting to hear you were happy with the brakes on your E92. The Mustang brakes are okay, but as I mentioned before, they begin to wilt after a few hard track laps and harder pads/comp brake lines are a good idea. Or, bigger brakes, if you can afford them.

Overall, the Mustang is my DD, so I don't want to screw it up just to gain a second or two per lap on track days. Keep in touch, please and let me know how you progress with your car, especially if you go the GT350 higher rev/breathing route.

Cheers,
Ian

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Ian,

Yes it sounds like we are on the same page and have the same taste in cars. With my M3 on the track, the tyres, Michelin Super Sport (circa 2007 - 2011) used to get spongy before the brakes did. I then had a 2010 Porsche Cayman S and it was the best track car I've owned. It was bullet proof and nothing went wrong. Although one day I saw a guy in an older Boxster come into the pits and then his engine caught on fire.

Mine is a DD as well, and I'm still investigating the GT 350 breathing system but want to make sure it is still perfectly drivable in all conditions, and that it adds sufficient grunt for the $. I don't want it to be jerky when cold and nor do I only want to only be able to notice any difference over 5,000rpm.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Cheers,

Phil
Sponsored