Ford Mustang only gets two stars in Euro NCAP crash safety tests

RMS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 EB, custom pack
thanks Ford, thought that I had bought a safe car, test shows it isn't. What now?

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
It loses one or two stars due to lack of active safety systems (i.e. no active city brake, no ped. alert etc).

So in reality, its prob a 4* car for most things.

The rear seats submarining isnt ideal, but its systematic of 4-seat coupes with limited rear leg room.

The NHTSA tests have been available for a long time for all to see.

I, personally, am not worrying about it. I would suggest if it bothers anyone that much (and it shouldnt) then the best thing to do is sell the car ;)

ps. dont crash, and then everything will be OK :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
laardilla

laardilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT FB 2015 EU
Yes, I agree - after a bit of studying of the NCAP report - that majority of points loss is due the missing assistents.
Iam not worried about the 1st row safety, seems pretty OK for me, and not to much about second row and adults either (they cant survive more then 30 min trip imho anyway - at least I cant :)

What bothers me a bit more is the low points score in children safety.
I know Mustang isnt ideal car for children, but honestly - it could be a lot better OR they should give isofixes on the front passenger seat...

Anyway - best is not crash at all :) And - as i was looking for some similar cars - cant find them i NCAP! No other muscle found...

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
thanks Ford, thought that I had bought a safe car, test shows it isn't. What now?
The test actually shows that the crash safety is quite decent, except for rear seat passengers where it's below average.

Unfortunately Ncap has developed into a bullshit electronics and pedestrian safety circus instead of a genuine crash test facility.

That being said I'm actually quite amused that Ford gets this beating, because they refused to give us blis and adaptive cruise control and I have cursed them for that since day one.

And if the results still worry you then just ask yourself in which car you would rather be in a collision, a 5 star Hyundai i10 or a 2015+ Mustang?

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
That being said I'm actually quite amused that Ford gets this beating, because they refused to give us blis and adaptive cruise control and I have cursed them for that since day one.
I still dont understand why they didnt offer this as on option.

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Euro 2016 Mustang Ecoboost MT Triple Yellow
I hate all the electronic safety stuff new cars are getting.

Friend of mine: "I need an auto emergency stop on my next car. Saved my life 4 times in my last car while I was texting". OR JUST DONT TEXT :frusty:

Glad the mustang doesn't have them. Keeps you alert

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
It gets a poor score on things that never happens in our car anyway. Like people sitting in the rear seats? And pedestrians? Really: getting hit by a fast moving car is NEVER going to be safe.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
If you read the test results carefully you'll see that the only thing that really matters, which is driver and front passenger crash safety, actually scored 4 out of 5 stars.

The rest of the test areas are really quite irrelevant to most of us, except for those with kids and no mommy van perhaps.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have seen photos from some incredibly nasty accidents where the driver and passenger walked away totally fine. Don't worry so much about government tests. Be glad they're there so your cars aren't built like Yugos, but... common. This is a safe car.

Sponsored

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
there are other good reasons to not crash too... FORD can't deliver spare parts!!!

yes.

I'm salty.

My bumper is still broke.

(And my navigation/Sync is still US spec'd with EU maps)

(other than that the NCAP doesn't bother me since my Mustang scored bad on doodahs I don't have/use and child safety which I'm way beyond... and wouldn't use it for anyhoo, it actually made the news up here - I just hope folks manages to actually READ the report instead of laughing at 2*s)

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
EU Mustang GT Fastback/Auto/Ruby Red/PP/Alarm
Couldn't give a toss about the Ncap rating.

Why Ford does not offer BLIS to us in Europe is a very strange thing. Adaptive cruise is only good when traffic allows, never mind allowed (Belgium).

My A6 can drive, steer, accelerate and brake by itself but one still has to pay attention to the road conditions. If you drive like a lunatic and thinking the car will save you due to all these systems, then you probably should not drive at all!

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
I agree with Eric, Ford didn't give us those features and now all media reports the title "Mustang got only 2 start in euroncap crash tests". It's a very bad advertising for them, and very few people will go reading through the entire ncap report.

The stupid "Active hood" they filled into EU Mustangs is not enough, and it's probably useless.

Italian media are full of this articles http://www.alvolante.it/news/crash-test-euroncap-volvo-s90-v90-ford-mustang-350053

"Ford did not expect Euro NCAP to test the Mustang and chose not to fit safety technology in Europe which is available to its American consumers, and available on several other sports cars for that matter. Such an attitude to safety should trouble Ford’s customers, whether they are buying a high-powered muscle car or a regular family car."
:ninja:

Maybe Ford will learn something with this episode.

Edit:
"NCAP says in its report that Ford is making some changes to standard content on these cars later this year; in particular, Pre-Collision Assist (which includes Detection, Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking) and Lane Keeping Aid will be no cost options on all orders filed after May."
http://jalopnik.com/the-ford-mustang-scored-a-pathetic-two-stars-in-europea-1791620670

Last edited:
OP
OP
laardilla

laardilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT FB 2015 EU
Yea, its a shame for Ford mainly.

On other hand - i can already imagine my friends laughing about my decision to buy mustang...

...and on second hand - maybe it mean less people will buy this model so our car will be more rare to see :))

NicoMCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EU GT 2015
2018 models should bring more security tech as well, in EU no clue :shrug:

But ya never understood why we did not get BLIS or adaptive cruise control (maybe because of regulations? :shrug: but other makes have those techs on theirs cars :doh:). Since EU cars all have the performance pack as "'stock" I do not know why those options have not been included to enhance the "premium" aspect of the EU models.

I'll ask the Garage St Christophe in Develier who sells US and EU models, he goes to SEMA and his invited to all Ford major events in EU, he might know why or heard of something.

Anyway the mustang had good results compared to the camaro and challenger in a pure crash test a year ago so I would not care much for this test. I can tell you the generation 6 feels more secure than the 5th.
Sponsored