Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
So NCAP give the Aygo 56% for Safety Assist because it has:
Seat Belt reminder, ESC and Cruise Control.....

Mustang gets 16% because it apparently only has:
Seat belt reminder?????

Having driven an Aygo I know which I would rather be in if in an accident!!:doh:
ESC and CC goes out the window when... err pzeros ;)!
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
So NCAP give the Aygo 56% for Safety Assist because it has:
Seat Belt reminder, ESC and Cruise Control.....

Mustang gets 16% because it apparently only has:
Seat belt reminder?????

Having driven an Aygo I know which I would rather be in if in an accident!!:doh:
But that is also a lie!

ESC, electronic stability control? If so we have that!
We also have cruise control, or are they meaning radar cruise?

If just regular cruise control, how on earth is it a safety feature?

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
NCAP are total rubbish, NCAP don't test sports cars because they are too expensive to crash, that's why only the Porsche Macan has an NCAP score the 911/Boxster/Caymen/KN have never been tested!

I wont go into the side airbag head protection the Mustang has in the rear but no surprise not in the Aygo!!

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Its two stars overall because the Mustang in the EU does not have the OPTION of safety equipment like Autonomous breaking (pushing its "safety features" down to 16%). Keep in mind I said option, as in they don't need to be standard equipment, which is lunacy as statistically very few people actually buy these options.

For adults in the front seat, its a four star car at 72%.

Capture.PNG

The 2015 Audi TT also had issues with the rear seats given it is also a 2+2 (rear seat passengers actually smacked their head off the front seat!), and is also a four star vehicle for front seat occupation. However, because it has many options available for safety equipment, it received 4 stars overall.

This is why you should always look at the test data in detail for cars tested under Euro NCAP. The results are always skewed as per my comparison with the Audi. Hell, Dacia actually have a statement on their website stating their cars are four star rated for actual occupant protection, but were knocked down to three because of a lack of optional safety features due to it being a budget car.

This isn't the 1960s, and this isn't some China-Special. The car is totally safe as (unfortunately) some have demonstrated on this forum.

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
But why have they omitted the ESC and CC on the Mustang? Unless they do not meet the E-NCAP requirements??? Ford advertise that the car has it yet they are not credited/accepted in the NCAP report??

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
But why have they omitted the ESC and CC on the Mustang? Unless they do not meet the E-NCAP requirements??? Ford advertise that the car has it yet they are not credited/accepted in the NCAP report??
Euro Mustangs have both ESC and cruise control fitted as standard. The suggestion that Ford deliberately deleted safety features that are available in the US is only partly correct and only applies to adaptive cruise control and blis. As a huge fan of adaptive cruise and hating Ford for not offering it I am pleased with this outcome. Serves them right.

Too bad there isn't any Euro Ncap point deduction for deleting tribar DRLs and red tail lights.

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
I can only see one safety related issue with the Mustang, and NCAP missed it. The Bloody tyres it comes on. Easy enough to make your Mustang safe, buy better tyres

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
With the NCAP star ratings alone, you are not comparing apples with apples and the number relates to performance vs peer group i.e. similar car type. It doesn't mean a 5 star twingo is better for you than a 4 star range rover:doh:

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Surely an after market exhaust is enough for pedestrians to get out the way ?

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
But how can they compare if they don't test (due to NCAP having to buy the cars) any/many sports cars?

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
A lot of it comes down to how heavy your car is relative to the other car in a crash, the Mustang does better than average in this respect!

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I have only just learned that the NCAP rating is partly weighted by the safety features "available" by the manufacturer? This is ridiculous.

Surely the car should be tested against how well it absorbs impacts and protects the occupants, not how well the occupants could be protected "if" the car was fitted with the optional auto braking, or "if" it had adaptive cruise.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
A lot of it comes down to how heavy your car is relative to the other car in a crash, the Mustang does better than average in this respect!
This isn't strictly true Mark, at least in some cases..

If I hit a wall at 20mph in my Defender, I would be seriously injured as the truck would stop almost instantaneously. However, if I were in a new Transit connect and hit the same wall at 20mph, I would probably walk away. The Defender is a much heavier van.

The Transit would absorb the impact and slow my deceleration. The Defender would "snap" me to a stop and probably break my neck.

It's the same with side impact protection, which is why you will always see that race saloons always have the seat mounts designed to move with the shell in a side impact, so that you move with the impact rather than get in its way.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
I'd like to think we can mostly agree... Euro NCAP is just a pile of bollocks and who gives a shite... it's a Mustang and we're having it anyway :D !!!

As Al Pacino once said... "you can get killed walkin' your doggie"...