Tyre and wheel advice

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
11" +50 at standard ride height, standard camber, MPSS 305/30/20
The MPSS are a slightly wider fitment than most.
image.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
PG68

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Question- How does everyone find the ride quality / road noise etc etc after changing from stock 19" to 20" wheels??

The reasons are, I don't want a harsh car or noisy car. In stock form (19") the car is very comfortable for harshness and sound. I am not too concerned in lowering my car, I just want different rims / wheels with better tyre choices. The problem I am finding is that the rims / wheels I like only come in 20" which means the side wall of the tyre will decrease approx 15mm compared to the stock 19". That is why I ask this question about road comfort / noise.

Over the last couple of days I have been using the tyre calculator trying to work out the best combination, keeping in mind my "Gnome" spare / revolutions per mile etc.
I love the Vossons and also the Velgens wheels in the 9 spoke look.

I am content to stick with the stock width tyres if I have to, otherwise I would go 9" fronts and 10.5" rears. The advantage in sticking with stock width is that nothing changes if I go 20". Outer diameter stays the same because the same 255 & 275 profiles are kept, the only difference is that the sidewall of the tyre decreases!!!

Maybe I am thinking about this way to much for my own good!!

Again your thoughts, comments and ideas are much appreciated

Thanks everyone

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Honestly there is very little difference in ride quality. Its not like you're going from a 16" wheel to 19" where there is a huge difference which would be noticeable.

Road noise will also depend more on the tread pattern and compound than physical size of the tyre, again I noticed very marginal/if any difference in road noise. I have toyo's in 295/30 19 on my Falcon ute and Pirelli's in 295/30 20 on the Mustang and the Pirellis are practically silent compared to the Toyo's which are noisey.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I am content to stick with the stock width tyres if I have to, otherwise I would go 9" fronts and 10.5" rears. The advantage in sticking with stock width is that nothing changes if I go 20". Outer diameter stays the same because the same 255 & 275 profiles are kept, the only difference is that the sidewall of the tyre decreases!!!

Maybe I am thinking about this way to much for my own good!!
Changing wheels/tyres is really either for looks or performance (or getting sick of cleaning PP wheels...). Keeping stock width doesn't really change either of those two things. Sure, you can get a different design wheel, but putting on some fatter, better rubber and filling out those guards is the aim of the game imo

Changing the diameter by a few % really isn't a big deal, not worth trying to match it, and there's a few ways to fix any speedo error

For interest sake, I'm waiting on 20x9.5 +30 and 20x11 +55, and plan on putting on 275/35 and 305-315/35 tyres (yes the rears aren't quite legal ;))

Edit: all the cars I've ridden in with 20" wheels have had better ride quality than stock, which is probably attributed to the aftermarket springs

Last edited:
OP
OP
PG68

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Hi Ed & Matt,

Thank you, you both now have me convinced, 20" and a wider set of rubber is the way to go and maybe some of Fred's springs 25mm. You are both right with what you say.

Thinking maybe 10.5" rear / 295/30/20 or 295/35/20 and front - 9 or 9.5" 265/35/20

This Mustang stuff / mods is addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit.................Edit.......Edit
20's not 18's, What a tool, What was I thinking ??????

Last edited:

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Ed & Matt,

Thank you, you both now have me convinced, 18" and a wider set of rubber is the way to go and maybe some of Fred's springs 25mm. You are both right with what you say.

Thinking maybe 10.5" rear / 295/30/18 or 295/35/18 and front - 9 or 9.5" 265/35/18

This Mustang stuff / mods is addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!!
18"??? :eyebulge:

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
I'm confused Paul.

I think you'll be getting 20's :D

I will later too.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I very strongly thought about 18s, but I think you meant to type 20 there? If not, you might want to recheck your tyre profiles haha

OP
OP
PG68

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
I deserved that, lol
What a tool I am :doh::doh:

I meant 20's not 18's. What the hell was I thinking when I typed that.

Just after I typed my reply I jumped in my Stang for a ride, as it was a couple days since using her, good excuse, my mind was else where.

Na bad excuse.. Still a tool :doh:

;)

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Don't be too hard on yourself mate...

Does anyone know of a decent / professional place to do a wheel alignment on the stangs?

Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Don't be too hard on yourself mate...

Does anyone know of a decent / professional place to do a wheel alignment on the stangs?
What state/suburb?

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Melbourne north / east / immediate south area?

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Melbourne north / east / immediate south area?
In the North I would try Reade at Hakon Suspension in Sommerton. Used to have my track car aligned by him when he had a Pedders store and he always did a great job. Never trusted anyone else.

Or else Centreline Suspension in Thomastown has a really good reputation. No experience with them myself.

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Has anyone in Aus gone with a square set-up? Given our limited options for the phat stuff anyway?

The benefit or running 275 front and rear sounds attractive. The car understeers anyway, so arguable wider front tyres would be warranted? and you could have same rims on the front and back - deep dish on both?

Plus you will have the benefit of being able to rotate your tyres.

Is this thinking flawed?