Count Down to Detroit Auto Show 2017!!

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
You might want to practice what you preach. All he said was that the V8's days were numbered. He didn't say it was ending tomorrow, or that the new mustang wouldn't have a V8, he just said the days were numbered. Thats not a revelation, anyone taking a look at the availability of v8's now vs 10 years ago could deduce the same thing.
Maybe you you should read my post too. Lol

I clearly stated in the very first sentence of my post that I was referring to his numerous posts (which I incorrectly said), not just the one I quoted. I also stated, in the 2nd sentence, that it wasn't happening anytime soon, but we're not oblivious to the fact it will happen.
As far as your statement referring to the availability of V8's now vs 10 years ago, hindsight is 20/20 and I'm pretty sure that's all you got.
Others have stated in other posts how Ford is making the Ecoboost through out their lineup as well as going to smaller sized engines. I don't argue this at all for their whole lineup. What I think they fail to see is that it doesn't mean they have to change the Mustang too. The primary reason for this corporate move is fuel economy standards.
Let me try to educate a little bit about those standards. They are set for a fleet average and there are different tiers according to the different classes of vehicles. Therefore the goal is to get the largest sales volume models as efficient as possible. The mustang doesn't stand alone for this measurement. It's lumped together.
As has been the case ever since the mustang appeared in 1964, the smaller displacement models outsold the larger ones. This translates well to today's CAFE standards and is why I believe we will see an even smaller Ecoboost arrive in the Mustang eventually. It also means that there's no reason to announce the demise of the V8 anytime soon.
I would assume the immediate response to my statement above would be, "yeah, but Ford puts it in their Halo car, the GT, therefore they want to do it in everything." I find that statement highly irrational and generalized for the masses. Anyone who knows anything about car sales has heard the term, "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday. " Well, that doesn't work as well as it did when your choice of TV programs was very limited compared to today. But just like that period of time, the Ford GT brings the people to the dealership or the website to see what the fuss is about and then they buy what fits their needs. Showcasing your longterm strategy for the whole lineup in your Halo car is smart, but it doesn't mean that Ford is just going to walk away from an iconic powerplant.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
GT500TT

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Where the hell is the MUSCLE in Detroit!!?? All I see is lame ass hybrid crap and mini vans! Seriously this is the freakin " motor city" right! WEAK!!!!! No ZR1, Hellcat much less Halo Stang! WTF? And I thought the LA show sucked! Seriously not one exciting car as of yet!

Lucky13Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Purple
Where the hell is the MUSCLE in Detroit!!?? All I see is lame ass hybrid crap and mini vans! Seriously this is the freakin " motor city" right! WEAK!!!!! No ZR1, Hellcat much less Halo Stang! WTF? And I thought the LA show sucked! Seriously not one exciting car as of yet!
He kinda has a point ^lol

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Didn't someone post earlier saying ford has some big news at the end of the event?

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06

I clearly stated in the very first sentence of my post that I was referring to his numerous posts, not just the one I quoted. I also stated, in the 2nd sentence, that it wasn't happening anytime soon, but we're not oblivious to the fact it will happen.
As far as your statement referring to the availability of V8's now vs 10 years ago, hindsight is 20/20 and I'm pretty sure that's all you got.
Both Voodoo and you have stated in other posts how Ford is making the Ecoboost through out their lineup as well as going to smaller sized engines. I don't argue this at all for their whole lineup. What I think both of you fail to see is that it doesn't mean they have to change the Mustang too. The primary reason for this corporate move is fuel economy standards.
Let me try to educate you a little bit about those standards. They are set for a fleet average and there are different tiers according to the different classes of vehicles. Therefore the goal is to get the largest sales volume models as efficient as possible. The mustang doesn't stand alone for this measurement. It's lumped together.
As has been the case ever since the mustang appeared in 1964, the smaller displacement models outsold the larger ones. This translates well to today's CAFE standards and is why I believe we will see an even smaller Ecoboost arrive in the Mustang eventually. It also means that there's no reason to announce the demise of the V8 anytime soon.
I would assume the immediate response to my statement above would be, "yeah, but Ford puts it in their Halo car, the GT, therefore they want to do it in everything." I find that statement highly irrational and generalized for the masses. Anyone who knows anything about car sales has heard the term, "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday. " Well, that doesn't work as well as it did when your choice of TV programs was very limited compared to today. But just like that period of time, the Ford GT brings the people to the dealership or the website to see what the fuss is about and then they buy what fits their needs. Showcasing your longterm strategy for the whole lineup in your Halo car is smart, but it doesn't mean that Ford is just going to walk away from an iconic powerplant.

I agree with you and I don't think a lot of people understand how cafe works. With the rather poor epa numbers for the GT I don't see why they would feel it a must to go to the V6 eco boost for the mustang. I bet they'll sell a hybrid that gets 30+ mpgs and that'll be sold to all the rental car companies and it'll raise their numbers a bunch, but they could easily have a couple V8 specialty cars. I can't see Ford walking away from V8's unless chevy and dodge do the same.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GT500TT

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Didn't someone post earlier saying ford has some big news at the end of the event?
Something about a secret journalist only meeting tomorrow? What the hell! With them bound to secrecy for 2 weeks after. Makes no sense! If it exists let's see it!!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm not sure but let's quit the beating behind the bush ford. Let's just see it..

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Hey FORD, one GT500 is sold if you build em!

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Just got a GT500 but is a 2014 Haha. $21K under $67K MSRP with 2900 miles black/black /black. Performance pack ,Track pack ,electronics package and Recaros. 11.5 1/4 and 3.5 60. I'll buy a used 18/19 GT500 in the future. I'm sure the future GT 500 will be faster.

Last edited:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Wrong forum for those pictures, this is about a possible future GT500, not a past gen one.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Wrong forum for those pictures, this is about a possible future GT500, not a past gen one.
So sue me. I said I'll buy a used 18/19 GT500 in the future. It's got to be faster then 11.5 and 3.5.
You are right no pictures. I was kind of making a joke.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself

I clearly stated in the very first sentence of my post that I was referring to his numerous posts, not just the one I quoted. I also stated, in the 2nd sentence, that it wasn't happening anytime soon, but we're not oblivious to the fact it will happen.
Both Voodoo and you have stated in other posts how Ford is making the Ecoboost through out their lineup as well as going to smaller sized engines. I don't argue this at all for their whole lineup. What I think both of you fail to see is that it doesn't mean they have to change the Mustang too. The primary reason for this corporate move is fuel economy standards.
Let me try to educate you a little bit about those standards. They are set for a fleet average and there are different tiers according to the different classes of vehicles. Therefore the goal is to get the largest sales volume models as efficient as possible. The mustang doesn't stand alone for this measurement. It's lumped together.
Its easy to make comments without referencing anything specific and just say "no I'm talking about what you have said in other posts", your previous posts says a lot without saying anything at all. Can you show me once where either Voodooo or myself said that Ford was walking away from the V8? I believe, actually let me rephrase, i know that Ford will keep the v8 as long as it remains 1. commercially acceptable 2. able to achieve future CAFE standards with it still in play

CAFE standards aren't complicated the only thing complicating them is the adjustments to the calculation that have been made over the past 5-10 years to address things like the UAW and domestically produced vehicles, the advent of "zero emissions" plug in cars etc. I think everyone (or most) understand that they are based on fleet, although separation does exist between passenger and light truck.

The point that you and many others seem to miss is that decisions related to drivetrain are not solely driven by CAFE standards, they are driven by public demand. The reason you have such a hard time with it is because to you a mustang means a thundering v8 so how is it possible that anyone would want anything less than that. Well in fact they do, and the population that does is getting larger and larger. That particular buyer associates ecoboost and soon to be hybrids not only with fuel economy but also with performance (ala GT, P1, 918 etc). Now many here have argued that ecoboost doesn't even really deliver better fuel economy, that they are still close to their bigger v8 or v6 brothers and if the money had been spent on the bigger engines they could have met the fuel efficiency requirements. Then people argue that hybrid cars are actually worse for the environment based on the environmental cost to manufacture blah blah blah. Maybe all of this is true but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. All that matters is consumer perception. And perception is that smaller engines are more fuel efficient, and hybrids are better for the environment. Hell even some people on this forum can't wrap their minds around the fact that a hybrid powertrain doesn't mean a car has to be like a prius.

Ford in my opinion is being very progressive within this space and so far it has been successful. Their decision to hybridize the mustang isn't about achieving CAFE standards so please stop beating that drum, Ford is using two flagship cars (F150 and Mustang) because they believe that the demand for hybrid vehicles is going to continue to grow. This is based on millions of dollars of consumer insights, not based off of reading posts off of mustang forums.

You can respond if you like but i'm done on this topic. You are obviously locked in on one answer because its the only one you understand and you aren't able to wrap your mind around how big business balance decisions between sustainability and consumer demand.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Its easy to make comments without referencing anything specific and just say "no I'm talking about what you have said in other posts", your previous posts says a lot without saying anything at all. Can you show me once where either Voodooo or myself said that Ford was walking away from the V8? I believe, actually let me rephrase, i know that Ford will keep the v8 as long as it remains 1. commercially acceptable 2. able to achieve future CAFE standards with it still in play

CAFE standards aren't complicated the only thing complicating them is the adjustments to the calculation that have been made over the past 5-10 years to address things like the UAW and domestically produced vehicles, the advent of "zero emissions" plug in cars etc. I think everyone (or most) understand that they are based on fleet, although separation does exist between passenger and light truck.

The point that you and many others seem to miss is that decisions related to drivetrain are not solely driven by CAFE standards, they are driven by public demand. The reason you have such a hard time with it is because to you a mustang means a thundering v8 so how is it possible that anyone would want anything less than that. Well in fact they do, and the population that does is getting larger and larger. That particular buyer associates ecoboost and soon to be hybrids not only with fuel economy but also with performance (ala GT, P1, 918 etc). Now many here have argued that ecoboost doesn't even really deliver better fuel economy, that they are still close to their bigger v8 or v6 brothers and if the money had been spent on the bigger engines they could have met the fuel efficiency requirements. Then people argue that hybrid cars are actually worse for the environment based on the environmental cost to manufacture blah blah blah. Maybe all of this is true but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. All that matters is consumer perception. And perception is that smaller engines are more fuel efficient, and hybrids are better for the environment. Hell even some people on this forum can't wrap their minds around the fact that a hybrid powertrain doesn't mean a car has to be like a prius.

Ford in my opinion is being very progressive within this space and so far it has been successful. Their decision to hybridize the mustang isn't about achieving CAFE standards so please stop beating that drum, Ford is using two flagship cars (F150 and Mustang) because they believe that the demand for hybrid vehicles is going to continue to grow. This is based on millions of dollars of consumer insights, not based off of reading posts off of mustang forums.

You can respond if you like but i'm done on this topic. You are obviously locked in on one answer because its the only one you understand and you aren't able to wrap your mind around how big business balance decisions between sustainability and consumer demand.
I do agree with most of what you say. How would you feel about them going to AWD? It'd be Progressive like no longer using a V8. Hybrid is exactly why I think the V8 can survive. They'll be able to make hybrids that get 15 to 20 miles or so of pure electric and then use the gas engine which will also help offset EPA regulations. There's also always a demand for people that want a V8 and that will never change. I think if they prematurely drop the V8 they could lose a lot of their faithful (fanboys as many call them) and would have to become much more reliant on getting new customers.
Sponsored