Sponsored

Count Down to Detroit Auto Show 2017!!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Did you guys see they released the Ford GT epa numbers and the best they could get was 11/18 mpg!! In a 2900 lb car! Honestly that's sad. The HC and Z06 get better mpg with SC V8's! I hope ford decides no need to put the Eco v6 in the mustang if you want 600+ hp.
Wow, the GT must have a TON of aero-produced downforce. Just imagine how awesome it will be at the track.

I guess this news means you won't be buying one after all? ;)
Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Ecoboost isn't just the V6 though. They could go to a smaller V8 with turbos and still call it ecoboost.
To this point they have never released anything larger than a 6 cylinder with a turbocharger, its not to say that they couldn't but if you listen to any of the global powertrain interviews you will hear that all drivetrains are moving towards smaller size not larger. They also stated that there was a physical space constraint for this car leading them to the 6 cylinder.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Wow, the GT must have a TON of aero-produced downforce. Just imagine how awesome it will be at the track.

I guess this news means you won't be buying one after all? ;)

Like you and everyone else here I won't be getting one but that certainly is not the reason why. I highly doubt the downforce is so much that it causes 11 mpg in the city. My guess would be the amount of boost required to make 600+ Requires a ton fuel.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
In my opinion the volumetric efficiency of the Eco 6 is pretty good. That said, air and fuel make power. I would thing this engine will make closer to 750hp with those numbers.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
So Ford is going to present a Big show at the Detroit auto show and some BIG surprises at 9:05 am Monday. I wonder what surprises Ford has kept so secret ?

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
So Ford is going to present a Big show at the Detroit auto show and some BIG surprises at 9:05 am Monday. I wonder what surprises Ford has kept so secret ?
Nice. I swear I checked the schedule like 2 weeks ago and that wasn't scheduled.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Reading your posts over the last few days tells me you're ready to give up on the V8....as of yesterday. It's not going away that quickly, just like oil isn't going to disappear for good next year and just like stopping all countries from producing any type of emissions is going to have a widespread effect on the weather in the immediate future.

Repeating your view, which you are entitled to, doesn't make it come true, no matter how many times you say it.
Those of us who still want a V8, are not oblivious to the fact that there eventually will be a time when the V8 will be forced, due to the always invasive government, to finally disappear. That time is not now and isn't in the near future either. For those who think it is, I think you're sorely mistaken and are oblivious to all the reasons why it's not going to happen that quickly.:crazy:

I don't mind you having the choice of a Ecoboost 4 cylinder or a V6, but don't try to tell me that the V8 is going to disappear because it's a foregone conclusion that a turbo 4 or 6 is the only way to accomplish government fuel economy standards.
Thirty years ago people would have laughed at someone claiming 500hp out of a naturally aspirated V8 with a little over 300 cubic inches. Yet today we have one in the GT350 and it's a FPC too. Unheard of for a domestic produced engine. That would have been laughed at just 10 years ago!
Adding a turbo to an engine to gain power has been around for a long time.
In many ways, Ford took a lazy approach to accomplishing the government mandated fuel economy standards by adopting turbos across a broad range of engines. This early adoption was smart because it allowed them to create a brand identity that has remained consistent for the last few years. Whether it's true or not, people now equate Ecoboost with fuel economy.
Look,
I have a 2012 5.0 F150 FX2 and a 2016 2.7 ecoboost F150 sport. And also a 2016 GT350 track pack. Not to mention a 1956 F100 272 Y block V8 and I just sold my last fox body 1992 LX which I bought new and transformed it into a 401 SVO blocked Windsor with Yates heads runing 8.30s NA.
With that said I love V8s. And I also love the sound and power they make. I'm not rushing for the end of the V8. But you're blind if you think it's days are not numbered. You have just one V8 option in the F150, one V8 option in the mustang if you don't count the limited production GT350. Ford does not offer the V8 in any other car or truck smaller than the F150.
The ecoboost 4 and 6 cylinders are here to stay like it or not.
If you don't believe me that's fine but do you really think for dumped a ton of money and r&d into the GT ecoboost? If history repeats itself again, the ecoboost will be in the next GT500. After all the GT40 5.4 was in the GT500.
When the GT500 does come with a 3.5 ecoboost I'll be in line for one. I'm not judging a cars performance on sound for Christ sakes.
You wouldn't judge a Porsche or a GTR because its use of a 6 cylinder engine. Why would you a mustang. Last I checked a GTR weighed over 3800 pounds.
Besides they just mentioned a hybrid mustang and f150.
By the way, I never said the V8 was going away tomorrow or in a few years. But it's days for cars and the F150 are numbered.
Get with the times people.

One more thing, you said "30 years ago people would laugh at a 500hp NA production V8".
Well friend that goes for a 450hp 510tq v6 twin turbo pick up truck also. 10 years ago we had a 4.2 v6, 4.6 and a 5.4 truck. Today we have a 2.7, 3.5na and a 3.5 ecoboost and a 5.0na. Now we also have a 3.0 diesel F150.
The same rednecks would laugh if you told them 10 years ago ford was building an aluminum body truck too.
Yeah the times change huh.

Last edited:

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
Look,
I have a 2012 5.0 F150 FX2 and a 2016 2.7 ecoboost F150 sport. And also a 2016 GT350 track pack. Not to mention a 1956 F100 272 Y block V8 and I just sold my last fox body 1992 LX which I bought new and transformed it into a 401 SVO blocked Windsor with Yates heads runing 8.30s NA.
With that said I love V8s. And I also love the sound and power they make. I'm not rushing for the end of the V8. But you're blind if you think it's days are not numbered. You have just one V8 option in the F150, one V8 option in the mustang if you don't count the limited production GT350. Ford does not offer the V8 in any other car or truck smaller than the F150.
The ecoboost 4 and 6 cylinders are here to stay like it or not.
If you don't believe me that's fine but do you really think for dumped a ton of money and r&d into the GT ecoboost? If history repeats itself again, the ecoboost will be in the next GT500. After all the GT40 5.4 was in the GT500.
When the GT500 does come with a 3.5 ecoboost I'll be in line for one. I'm not judging a cars performance on sound for Christ sakes.
You wouldn't judge a Porsche or a GTR because its use of a 6 cylinder engine. Why would you a mustang. Last I checked a GTR weighed over 3800 pounds.
Besides they just mentioned a hybrid mustang and f150.
By the way, I never said the V8 was going away tomorrow or in a few years. But it's days for cars and the F150 are numbered.
Get with the times people.

One more thing, you said "30 years ago people would laugh at a 500hp NA production V8".
Well friend that goes for a 450hp 510tq v6 twin turbo pick up truck also. 10 years ago we had a 4.2 v6, 4.6 and a 5.4 truck. Today we have a 2.7, 3.5na and a 3.5 ecoboost and a 5.0na. Now we also have a 3.0 diesel F150.
The same rednecks would laugh if you told them 10 years ago ford was building an aluminum body truck too.
Yeah the times change huh.
I see what you're saying, but I did say we realize the end of the V8 will eventually arrive. I just don't think it's now or in the near future. Posters who repeat the premise are what infuriates me. I don't believe you are one of them.:cheers:

Last edited:

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
If you can't take the time to read what I wrote and you quoted, there's no sense in replying to your posts. Slow down and read.:headbonk:
You might want to practice what you preach. All he said was that the V8's days were numbered. He didn't say it was ending tomorrow, or that the new mustang wouldn't have a V8, he just said the days were numbered. Thats not a revelation, anyone taking a look at the availability of v8's now vs 10 years ago could deduce the same thing.

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I think ford is showing for BIG surprise is the new aluminum Expedition SUV.
Is it really that big of a surprise? The 2015 F150 was a surprise, and aluminum F250 seemed likely, then came to fruition. Expedition with new F150 front clips have been running around for a while. Aluminum body on frame full size vehicles with common components is a sure thing at this point for Ford.

While I love my families expedition, it doesn't have the brand recognition or following that the Mustang or F Series does.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Like you and everyone else here I won't be getting one but that certainly is not the reason why. I highly doubt the downforce is so much that it causes 11 mpg in the city. My guess would be the amount of boost required to make 600+ Requires a ton fuel.
I agree that aero drag won't enter into fuel economy at 20 or 30 mph.

It's hard to imagine this super light weight vehicle is going to get into boost much in city driving.

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
I'm just glad they're offering an F150 with a diesel finally! I'll snatch one of those up soon after release to go with my F250 diesel :headbang:

Will be exciting to see what gets announced today as I'm sure the forums will be crawling with I TOLD YOU SO posts :lol:

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Well there was a flash of the Broncos Badge, and nameplate.
There's a lot of time left at detroit for something else to show up but wow, that feels very bait and switch like. Did we get any info we didn't know?!
Sponsored