Sponsored

Tracking my car

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
I'm interested in running my car on an area track. Newby at this and have heard of sebring and desoto raceway that seem close enough. Really looking for a slalom type course that is safe from idiots driving shit boxes and looking to find out what mods my car will need, insurance adjustment, track cost and a good spot not too far from Sarasota. Thx
Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Closest road course would be Sebring. You also have Palm Beach, Homestead, The Firm in Starke (east of Gainesville). Check out Motorsportsreg.com for locations, dates and costs. I've been to Sebring a couple of times and go to The FIRM a lot - twice a month. :)

Drag racing would be Desoto/Bradenton.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I have yet to track my car, but very interested in the FIRM, Sebring, and Daytona as well as the parking lot mafia autocross stuff.

Any info on getting started? I've read onto some of the websites and it seems like there are different helmet requirements. Wondering what would satisfy all of them? Next up would be getting certified to get on the track.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Drag racing also in Orlando at Speed World.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I have yet to track my car, but very interested in the FIRM, Sebring, and Daytona as well as the parking lot mafia autocross stuff.

Any info on getting started? I've read onto some of the websites and it seems like there are different helmet requirements. Wondering what would satisfy all of them? Next up would be getting certified to get on the track.
Get an SA2015 rated helmet. Some locations will allow motorcycle helmets, others won't so just go with the most recent and up to date and eliminate any concerns. You can find them from $150 and up. I highly recommend somewhere you can try them on so you know what's comfortable.

I've only been to The FIRM and Sebring, but for first timers I'd highly recommend The FIRM over Sebring unless you want an instructor with you each time you are on the track. Some people like that idea, others don't.

The FIRM is a much more laid back, no frills, atmosphere. It's a smaller, tighter track that, in my opinion, helps build your skills more. Not to mention it is about half the cost and I don't feel the need for track insurance there.

I'll be there again tomorrow morning with video to follow. :)

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Drag racing also in Orlando at Speed World.
And Clearwater, Lakeland, Gainesville, Palm Beach. :). We are blessed in Florida with options.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I will second The FIRM, been 4 times and have had a blast each time. Never bought track insurance as I don't feel it's needed and there is only one wall on the whole track.

We need to get a bunch of us out there while it's still nice out here soon.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I have been to PBIR, Sebring and Daytona.

The Firm is on my near future bucket list!!

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
I would recommend Sebring or Homestead with Chin Motorsports. Chinmotorsports.com

The novice program is very structured to help you get the most from your on track experience as well as keep you safe. There's classroom instruction as well as an in car instructor. Chin instructors are not doubled up with students so your instructor will only be working with you all day. Chin has some of the best instructors (I know, I trained many of them.;))

Rental helmets are available for $20. Don't buy a helmet until you can try it on. I made that mistake on my first helmet. There will be someone selling helmets at the track so if you decide you want to do this again, you try several on and buy the one that fits you best. It's not just how they fit your head, it's also how the eye port lines up with your face.

Novice registration sells out fast. It's best to get your membership taken care of and then be ready to register as soon as the event registration opens. Opening dates and times are posted on the website.

I'll be at Sebring with Chin the last weekend of January. Novice is full but if you'd like to just come out and see what it's all about, I'll show you around. I'll get you set up to ride a long as a passenger and take you for a ride.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I know Steeda does a couple/few track events out at Sebring every year. I almost went to the last one, but just wasn't able to make it.

I'd be down for an event. Just need time to plan it out.

Good advice on the helmets. There's one on Amazon that looked good and the price was right. But just like with buying shoes online you never know how it will fit.

I'd definitely like time with an instructor who knows the course and give me tips on skills. We all know how to drive, but this is a whole new ballgame. As an old boss once told me, nobody has a patent on knowledge.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MarkH

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
I didnt see any action on this post a few days ago but good to see the great feedback here. I won't be interested in drag racing, sounds like Sebring may be a good place to pick up techniques and then head to the firm. But if sebring is full I may just head out to the firm. I'll have to check to see if both tracks allow stock verts. Thanks for all the info so far.

OP
OP
MarkH

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
The FIRM looks good in the Stoli videos but it's a drive for me. Sebring looks like I can get some valued training and it is closer. I just registered for Chin on 02/19 as a novice at Sebring and will see where it goes from there. Something I noticed during registration is Chin notes extra risk for a vert and wondering about insurance cost and how to get it. If anyone knows off-hand pls clue me in, otherwise I will make some calls and find out.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
The FIRM looks good in the Stoli videos but it's a drive for me. Sebring looks like I can get some valued training and it is closer. I just registered for Chin on 02/19 as a novice at Sebring and will see where it goes from there. Something I noticed during registration is Chin notes extra risk for a vert and wondering about insurance cost and how to get it. If anyone knows off-hand pls clue me in, otherwise I will make some calls and find out.
I used Lockton when I went to Sebring. Roughly $175-200 per event depending on your coverage.

https://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance

You'll have a blast!

OP
OP
MarkH

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Worked for me. Understand the policy will cover both days.
lockton screen shot.JPG
Sponsored