Rear drivers side suspension squeak

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Current suspension mods are in my sig.

Very high pitched squeak on sudden dips in the road that cause full travel of the rear suspension. All suspension parts have been installed for well over a year. Last month I noticed the squeak very faintly a couple times here and there, nothing that I thought needed attention. Over the past couple weeks, it has started happening more often and now to the point that it happens over almost every bump.

I have loosened and re-torqued all parts to ensure that nothing is loose, I have had my wife drive while I layed in the back seat and trunk to isolate the location. Best I can tell is that it is coming from under the drivers side rear seat/suspension area.

I also considered that it may be my exhaust since it sounds like metal on metal. Adjusted and re-torqued, no change. Also tried bouncing the rear of the car by pushing down on the trunk with 2 other guys. Couldn't get it to make a single noise other than the gas sloshing around in the tank. It's also worth mentioning that my trunk and rear seats are empty (no boxes, tools, etc..)

Being stationed in Germany, shops here are clueless when it comes to trouble shooting domestic suspensions.

Any other ideas from anyone where I should look next or focus on to find this damn squeak, it's a bit embarrassing as well to have a nice newer car making this kind of noise.

-Nick
Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Very high pitched squeak on sudden dips in the road that cause full travel of the rear suspension. All suspension parts have been installed for well over a year. Last month I noticed the squeak very faintly a couple times here and there, nothing that I thought needed attention. Over the past couple weeks, it has started happening more often and now to the point that it happens over almost every bump.

I have loosened and re-torqued all parts to ensure that nothing is loose, I have had my wife drive while I layed in the back seat and trunk to isolate the location. Best I can tell is that it is coming from under the drivers side rear seat/suspension area.

I also considered that it may be my exhaust since it sounds like metal on metal. Adjusted and re-torqued, no change. Also tried bouncing the rear of the car by pushing down on the trunk with 2 other guys. Couldn't get it to make a single noise other than the gas sloshing around in the tank. It's also worth mentioning that my trunk and rear seats are empty (no boxes, tools, etc..)

Being stationed in Germany, shops here are clueless when it comes to trouble shooting domestic suspensions.

Any other ideas from anyone where I should look next or focus on to find this damn squeak, it's a bit embarrassing as well to have a nice newer car making this kind of noise.

-Nick
Hi MoneyPit#53,

I know we’ve made arrangements with the Overseas Military Sales Corporation (OMSC) to assist with service-related issues. OMSC can help you find a participating service center, which should be able to assist you with the key. Please contact them at 1-800-669-6183 or 9-011-49-6173-704-256.

I hope this helps.

Deysha

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Hi MoneyPit#53,

I know we’ve made arrangements with the Overseas Military Sales Corporation (OMSC) to assist with service-related issues. OMSC can help you find a participating service center, which should be able to assist you with the key. Please contact them at 1-800-669-6183 or 9-011-49-6173-704-256.

I hope this helps.

Deysha
Deysha,

Thanks for providing the info, but with the mods in my sig, I think we both know that the dealer will just blame one of the many aftermarket suspension parts installed without properly diagnosing it. Not trying to sound like a "negative Nancy" but I just think it would be a waste of time. The newer Mustangs here just aren't common enough for the German dealers in my area

For example, I went to a well known shop in my area today and the tech looked under my car for less than 2 minutes, came and got me, pointed at the rear outboard camber bushing and then proceeded to tell me that I would need a complete new rear LCA (~$800 +Labor) :crazy::crazy::frusty:.

I asked him to show me what was wrong with the outboard rear camber bushing. He proceeded to shake it, and it made absolutely no noise and had no slack. I was ok, what's wrong with it. He replied back with "it shouldn't do that. I said "do what". He said "that". I had him lower my car and I just left.

-Nick

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Any words of wisdom from [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] or [MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION] ?

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I always recommend process of elimination.

Looking at your sig, I see two BMR components that "could" make noises if there were an issue with the pivot point.

Vertical Links and Toe Links can make noise during suspension travel, if the bearings are contaminated excessively or if they are prematurely worn.

What I would do if I were you is, I would replace the driver side Vertical Link with the factory one....test drive it.

If that does not fix the issue, then move on to the driver side Toe Link. Replace that with the OE Toe Link, and test drive it.

If those do not solve it, move onto other things like disconnect one side of the sway bar to ensure it is not a defective bushing (very common over the past 10 years for Mustang Sway Bar bushings to make noises) etc....

Keep me updated.

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Deysha,

Thanks for providing the info, but with the mods in my sig, I think we both know that the dealer will just blame one of the many aftermarket suspension parts installed without properly diagnosing it. Not trying to sound like a "negative Nancy" but I just think it would be a waste of time. The newer Mustangs here just aren't common enough for the German dealers in my area

For example, I went to a well known shop in my area today and the tech looked under my car for less than 2 minutes, came and got me, pointed at the rear outboard camber bushing and then proceeded to tell me that I would need a complete new rear LCA (~$800 +Labor) :crazy::crazy::frusty:.

I asked him to show me what was wrong with the outboard rear camber bushing. He proceeded to shake it, and it made absolutely no noise and had no slack. I was ok, what's wrong with it. He replied back with "it shouldn't do that. I said "do what". He said "that". I had him lower my car and I just left.

-Nick
I understand where you’re coming from, MoneyPit#53. Wish you the best outcome with your concerns.

Deysha

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP

-Nick
I recently just started having the same issue. I just hit 3,000 miles and have had the mods in my signature since day 1, as the dealer installed everything. There has been a lot of salt and grime on the roads up here in PA, so I wonder if what BMR suggested with the vertical link bushings getting "contaminated" is the culprit. I'll let you know how I make out once I have a chance to take it into the dealer.

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
I recently just started having the same issue. I just hit 3,000 miles and have had the mods in my signature since day 1, as the dealer installed everything. There has been a lot of salt and grime on the roads up here in PA, so I wonder if what BMR suggested with the vertical link bushings getting "contaminated" is the culprit. I'll let you know how I make out once I have a chance to take it into the dealer.
Any update to your issue? Mine is still squeaking all the time. I'm danger close to saying the hell with it and just selling the car. It's embarrassing when people look at your car not because of how it looks but because it's squeaking like a hoopty.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Any update to your issue? Mine is still squeaking all the time. I'm danger close to saying the hell with it and just selling the car. It's embarrassing when people look at your car not because of how it looks but because it's squeaking like a hoopty.
We actually found what was causing the squeak. It was one of the contact points of the driver's side lower control arm. The shop sprayed it with some type of lube and it went away completely. I proceeded to take the car through a drive through car wash with underbody spray and the next day the squeak came back, but not nearly as bad. I called the shop and they said they would probably need to get in there with a heavier grease, as they had only used some type of penetrating spray.

I've had quite a few other side projects keeping my busy lately, but intend on getting back to the shop in the upcoming weeks to get it taken care of. I'll keep you posted on how I make out.

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
We actually found what was causing the squeak. It was one of the contact points of the driver's side lower control arm. The shop sprayed it with some type of lube and it went away completely. I proceeded to take the car through a drive through car wash with underbody spray and the next day the squeak came back, but not nearly as bad. I called the shop and they said they would probably need to get in there with a heavier grease, as they had only used some type of penetrating spray.

I've had quite a few other side projects keeping my busy lately, but intend on getting back to the shop in the upcoming weeks to get it taken care of. I'll keep you posted on how I make out.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you happen to know which contact point on the LCA it was? I have a similar issue when it comes to it reappearing when it's wet outside. The sound will go away for a couple days and then it will rain and the sound will reappear after the first decent jolt/jar to the rear suspension.

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Did you happen to do anything I mentioned below to ensure it isn't one of the two components?

Have you tried any troubleshooting?

I always recommend process of elimination.

Looking at your sig, I see two BMR components that "could" make noises if there were an issue with the pivot point.

Vertical Links and Toe Links can make noise during suspension travel, if the bearings are contaminated excessively or if they are prematurely worn.

What I would do if I were you is, I would replace the driver side Vertical Link with the factory one....test drive it.

If that does not fix the issue, then move on to the driver side Toe Link. Replace that with the OE Toe Link, and test drive it.

If those do not solve it, move onto other things like disconnect one side of the sway bar to ensure it is not a defective bushing (very common over the past 10 years for Mustang Sway Bar bushings to make noises) etc....

Keep me updated.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Don't give up on it. I've gone through similar issues. I had a squeak on the rear passenger side- turned out to be the camber arm bushing had gone bad. Stick with it - I know how it feels and you're not the only one. I feel your pain dude.

DS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, PP, Recaro Seats, 401A
I have the same squeak and and I believe I have narrowed mine down to the GT 350 rear. The muffler on mine rubs against the cosmetic pipe outlet. I will try and get a picture of the area and post this weekend for you. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Did you happen to do anything I mentioned below to ensure it isn't one of the two components?

Have you tried any troubleshooting?
[MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] I did remove the passenger side vertical link and install the factory one but the Squeak remained. I never gave the toe link swap a try because of the fact that I can't truly install the factory toe rod without losing the toe setting on that side. I honestly don't think it's the toe rods though.

I did some testing today with my Steelman ChassisEar and got some results but they are somewhat negligible. I placed sensors on the following locations:

- Drivers side Sway bar link
- Drivers side Sway Bar Bushing
- Drivers side SP080 Spring Coil
- Drivers side RLCA
- Drivers side Camber to Hub Bushing
- Drivers side CB005 well / Subframe bolt

I could hear the squeak pretty clearly on all of the sensors except the spring coil. One of them I could hear the squeak slightly louder than the others and that was from the Camber Arm to Hub location. I would love to say with confidence that it is the camber arm bushing but the problem is that the squeak is so loud and high pitched that 5 out of the 6 sensors picked up the squeak sound pretty clearly. The squeak is honestly so audible that one would think something is severely loose or would be easy to spot with a simple once over.

Don't give up on it. I've gone through similar issues. I had a squeak on the rear passenger side- turned out to be the camber arm bushing had gone bad. Stick with it - I know how it feels and you're not the only one. I feel your pain dude.
[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] Funny that you mentioned the Camber Arm Bushing, it may in fact be the culprit of my squeak. Did yours squeak similar to what I have described mine sounding like?

-Nick :cheers:

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
I have the same squeak and and I believe I have narrowed mine down to the GT 350 rear. The muffler on mine rubs against the cosmetic pipe outlet. I will try and get a picture of the area and post this weekend for you. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info but I'm using the Ikon GT350 rear diffuser with a set of quad tips welded on to a set of SLP LM2 mufflers. My squeak was also present way before I did the GT350 exhaust setup.

-Nick
Sponsored