Sponsored

Recall for first EU Mustangs (door latches)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Maybe you didn't heart of the currenct recall of the Mustang. There can be a problem with the door latches, so the doors could open while driving. According to the build date the first EU cars are affected by this recall - Mine was build on April 23th 2015.

Since german magazines are also reporting this I think we will get a call from the dealers soon.

2016-ford-recall-door-latch.jpg

Ford is conducting a large recall in North America for an estimated 828,053 vehicles, sold or registered in warm states, due to possible faulty door latches.

The recall covers certain 2013-2015 C-Max, 2013-2015 Escape, 2012-2015 Focus, 2015 Mustang, 2014-2016 Transit Connect and 2015 Lincoln MKC, whose pawl spring tab in the side door latch could break, preventing the door from latching and, in some cases, allowing it to unlatch while driving, which would increase the risk of injury.

Aware of one reported accident and one injury that could be related to this condition, the Blue Oval will start notifying owners soon and, since "the rate of reports is higher for vehicles in states with higher ambient temperatures and solar loading", as the automaker explains, "the recall is focused primarily in Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Oregon and Washington."

There are 766,682 vehicles equipped with the faulty door latches in the United States and federalized territories and 61,371 in Mexico, for which dealers will replace the parts free of charge. Moreover, Ford will provide a one-time free replacement for any vehicle that exhibits a broken door latch, outside the scope of this recall.
Source
Sponsored

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
That's odd, mine was build in the build week of 13/05/'15, the recall only states untill 30/04/'15 and still I'm going in next week or so to replace my door latch and plates behind them. It takes two times to properly close my door from the inside and to open it keeps going into a loop lock. At the store they said it's because of temperature changes, hot day then rainy day etc. but now I might think there is more to it.

vieirinha33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
André
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Race Red
thanks Ace... I've also seen it but I need to check when my car was build... I've got it on august... so I believe I'm also affected with this issue. :ford:

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks Ace.
I will call the dealer, as I highly doubt they will inform me of anything.

FinMus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost
Hold your horses:
"Because the rate of reports is higher for vehicles in states
with higher ambient temperatures and solar loading, this recall
is focused primarily in Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California,
Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico,
Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Oregon and Washington."

Sponsored

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Hold your horses:
"Because the rate of reports is higher for vehicles in states
with higher ambient temperatures and solar loading, this recall
is focused primarily in Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California,
Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico,
Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Oregon and Washington."
Correct, my dealer only had 2 issues with the door handles so far, 1 on a car that has been in the sun for a long time during a trip to Italy and on mine.

That's said, I think I'm up to something here...
Since the recall mentions the door latch and the spring used in it I figured today I had the chance to investigate this a bit more. On my 15 I noticed that the spring is much thicker and larger in diameter that on the 16GT that I compared it with this afternoon. The GT was delivered last week to a friend of mine.

The picture is taken on my 15 and unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the 16 door handle/spring. Maybe some of you could have a look at your 16 and take a pic?

Lastly, when pushing against the spring I could trigger the issues I have with my door handle as well. Still I'm not supposed to be part of this recall since mine was built after April 30th.
But notice the attached PDF, they say after 26/08 there will be a separate notice for this recall.

Cheers!
S550 Door Latch Spring MY15.jpg

Attachments

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
I should be in the clear then? (Will check the spring today)

Sauron_EH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 156 & Mustang Fastback Ecoboost
I'm not sure about mine. Which is the built date? In production date? Our Awaiting shipment date?

zNc8wof.jpg

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
I'm not sure about mine. Which is the built date? In production date? Our Awaiting shipment date?
Should be 24\4 but I think the 'official' build date is reported in the window sticker.