Sponsored

Dashcam hardwire location?

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I set about installing my dashcam tonight (from my old car), but fell down at the fusebox hurdle as the type of fuses are something ive not seen before... apparently they are called 'modified ATM' and some of the buggers have 3 prongs!

That means my current 'mini' fuse tap system wont work. :(

Id be interested to hear from anyone who has done a hardwire install, where exactly did you tap in for the 12V....?

Sponsored

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I set about installing my dashcam tonight (from my old car), but fell down at the fusebox hurdle as the type of fuses are something ive not seen before... apparently they are called 'modified ATM' and some of the buggers have 3 prongs!

That means my current 'mini' fuse tap system wont work. :(

Id be interested to hear from anyone who has done a hardwire install, where exactly did you tap in for the 12V....?

Check out this thread from [MENTION=8914]Big_G[/MENTION]

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
The fuses for the 2015 Mustang passenger compartment fuse box are Micro2 type. They have 2 prongs which are closer together than a mini use and longer than a Micro fuse. Halfords have no knowledge but they can be ordered from a Ford parts dept.

For the fuse taps I ordered Micro2 Blade ATR Fuse Adapter tap Dual Circuit Adapter Holder 12v Micro II from eBay USA but that item is not listed now so I can't link to it.

For supply connections using the 2015 Mustang passenger compartment fuse box (RHD) use Fuse 2 for permanent +12v and Fuse 23 for ignition switched +12v. It is very tight for space and if you use the fuse taps mentioned above then they fit snuggly next to each other when plugged into the fuse locations. One thing to be wary of is fitting the fuse taps the right way otherwise the supply will not be across the fuse and luckily the natural orientation is correct.

P1010812 (Medium).JPG

P1010844 (Medium).JPG

P1010845 (Medium).JPG

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Great stuff. Will get a new fuse tap ordered up.

Thanks!

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
I did the cowboy way for now, wrapped the dashcam wire around the leg of the fuse and pushed it back in. Works fine (for now)

Sponsored

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I did the cowboy way for now, wrapped the dashcam wire around the leg of the fuse and pushed it back in. Works fine (for now)
Love it. Proper old school stuff.

Pretty much how I wired every bolt on goody with my 74 magnum powered Vauxhall Chevette.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1

Sponsored

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
The fuse tap in the main picture does not look like Micro 2 but it may be a generic picture because the fuse tap in image 5 does look like Micro 2 and they describe a Micro 2 fuse correctly in the description.

It would depend on your dashcam for if one of those kits would work. For example the Thinkware F750 does not use a Mini USB power connector for power. It does use a Mini USB but that is for the 2nd rear camera video and power cable.

Note that to use parking mode many dashcams require 2 power connections. A continuous +12v (for parking mode) and an ignition switched +12v for recording while driving the vehicle.

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Is Micro2 not a standard ?
It a standard but it goes by many names which confusing no Micro 2, MM2 and APT, ATR, APS which applies to other fuse types.

More importantly you can't buy them anywhere. I tried Halfords and a motor factors and they didn't recognise them. The Think Ford parts counter did order me a selection for next day collection.

This is the most descriptive I have found (note you cannot order from these links).
http://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/automotive-passenger-car/blade-fuses/327.aspx
http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/a...e/blade-fuses/littelfuse_micro2_datasheet.pdf

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This sounds like it's going to be a ball ache
Sponsored