Sponsored

LED Switchback for the EU Mustang - Yes it's real! (and almost plug'n'play)

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
If the switchbacks you bought have the right connector, instruction list is very short:
- replace original turning lights bulb with the new switchbacks
- connect original connector from car to the switchbacks connector
- connect the third (spare) wire to '+' wire from parking lights (the small square next to turning lights)
- done :)
There's a wire loom & tap which connects the sidelights together? one loom with a short red cable no connector on it? then into a black connection box with 2 white cables with spade connectors .. one is really short, the other quite long which apparently runs across behind the crash bar to the other side light. No idea what to do with that loom
Sponsored

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
So you don't have the right connector..
The wire loom is used to connect both 'white' side of the switchbacks to a single point, but you don't need it since your parking lights are next to the turning lights.
Other connectors should be red on '+' wire from turning lights and black to '-' wire from turning lights.
But a kit with the correct connector (7440) would have been easier to install.

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
So you don't have the right connector..
The wire loom is used to connect both 'white' side of the switchbacks to a single point, but you don't need it since your parking lights are next to the turning lights.
Other connectors should be red on '+' wire from turning lights and black to '-' wire from turning lights.
But a kit with the correct connector (7440) would have been easier to install.
I have the right kit apparently, if you check back to my picture you can see what they've supplied. 2 sets of switchback led with correct connectors, then an additional loom with wire tap

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Oh I didn't see the connectors... so how much spare wires do you have? You should have only one spare wire per bulb (except the spare loom).

Sponsored

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
I think they've just supplied one tap to connect to the sidelight. Use this to connect to both switchbacks and voila!

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
this just looks soooo muc better... I wish Ford would hurry up and fix my car (at this point I could've bought a new one and had it delivered) so I can get to planning and trying out these "simple mods"...

Luckily I'm mostly INSIDE my car so I don't see those horrid "yellow" blobs they have put upfront...

BTW... what does this with fog lights? yours seems white here... not sure if that's just DRL or what not ...

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
This is the supplied kit. Red cable has no connector on it, i assume thats what the blue wire tap is for although i dont know what to connect that to. Looks like the longer of the 2 white wires runs across the other side?
lights.jpg

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
You can forget the white\red extension if you don't need it. The theory is to power the white side of the switchback with the '+' wire from the parking lights.
That extension could be used to connect the two switchbacks white wires to a single power source.
If you read my walkthrough, I had the same kit - I cut that white extensione wires and used to connect to the parking lights. It's the same situation.

Sponsored
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Right! As John said, it's difficult for the seller to give you instructions because you can connect the power for the white side wherever you want, depending on what type of setting you need.

Szilu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Szilard
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost 2016 Oxford White
Hi John577,

For my better understanding could you please post some pictures on how you managed to connect the switchbacks' common red wire to wiper power? How did you route the wire?
Thanks!
Szilu

Last edited:

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Fastback Mustang GT
Hi John577,

For my better understanding could you please post some pictures on how you managed to connect the switchbacks' common red wire to wiper power? How did you route the wire?
Thanks!
Szilu
Will try to take you some pics over the weekend. but it'll be hard to have good pictures as everything is now hidden behind the bumper ...

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Fastback Mustang GT
I Szilu,

Sadly as said, everything is now hidden so not able to take good pictures of my work.

An example of a switchback kit :
attachment.jpg

Take care, the following description uses the color of the above kit, colors may change from one kit to another !

I've made the following description :

You have 2 choices, to the wipers power signal to have them constantly on, or to the parking lights to have the switchbacks on with the parking lights.

Here were to find the Wipers Signal :

Then route the wire via the fender to the bumper like the above blue cable :thumbsup:

Hope this helps :cheers:

Szilu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Szilard
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost 2016 Oxford White
Hi John577,

Thanks for the extremely comprehensive guide I think everything is clear now! I really appreciate it.
Now I have the clue to how/where to connect to the wiper power and quite sure after the set arrived I can install it by myself.

:cheers:
Sponsored