Whipple discussion

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
In fact, With the blower fitted, an engine back exhaust ceases to make sense because it will
Only get you another 15 or so Kw's
My point being, PLAN YOUR MODS and spend your money WISELY.
can you clarify this statement? getting a blower is more reason to get a full exhaust...

I don't think anyone would recommend supercharging without supporting mods, if you've seen the stock manifold then you'll know why

good research btw, that's a good price and much better than local offerings :cheers:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
can you clarify this statement? getting a blower is more reason to get a full exhaust...

I don't think anyone would recommend supercharging without supporting mods, if you've seen the stock manifold then you'll know why

good research btw, that's a good price and much better than local offerings :cheers:
Hey mate,
I base that conclusion on a couple of things...
Yes, you can fit a full exhaust to your supercharged vehicle if that's what you REALLY want to do, but, in the case of this example eg. Stage 1 Whipple kit -you'd be much better off spending your $3500 - $5,000 on larger TB, fans, injectors etc..
Those parts will not only gain you more than the measly KW returns of the full exhaust, they will also cost you less..
My point being, that if you haven't already invested in the full exhaust, you'd really want to consider the value for money in the equation.
I'm quoting my power figures directly from KPM's website. Take a look for yourself. Adding the exhaust will get you 15Kw's...if you have the blower but 90 odd if you don't.
Frankly, I wouldn't spend $1000 to gain 15kw
Each to their own of course. If you're chasing every single last Kw and money is no objective, go for it!
It's important to remember what the main purpose of an extractor is.
You're trying to increase the scavenge effect of your engine. Now, if you're literally pushing the air through what is essentially a big air pump, how much scavenging is occurring? Or more importantly, to what extent are you relying on the flow and pulses of the exhaust to help you with cylinder filling?
I'm no authority on the matter. I'm just trying to help people to make informed choices before they start throwing cash at their car.
What I'm advocating here is that each of us tries to get as much "bang for your buck" as possible.
If you're gonna stay NA, grab some headers for big gains.
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
I don't recall seeing any turbocharged vehicles running tuned length exhausts, yet they seem to go just fine.
I hope this clarified my position a little.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Having said all of that Matt, if the stock exhaust literally breaks from the extra heat, or cats burn out etc. yes, an aftermarket system suddenly makes more sense.
But the stock system is good enough for Hennessey...

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Valid points, I guess my stance is that if you're spending that much on a blower, you might as well ensure your system is flowing as much as possible

Given the stock manifold bottles and turns down so much, I would've thought the gains would be more substantial (talking headers & cats of course)

Just had a look through the forced induction section and lots with stock headers/cats. Interesting, my last car was a VE SS, exhaust was pretty much 100% a requirement if going the blower route

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Valid points, I guess my stance is that if you're spending that much on a blower, you might as well ensure your system is flowing as much as possible

Given the stock manifold bottles and turns down so much, I would've thought the gains would be more substantial (talking headers & cats of course)

Just had a look through the forced induction section and lots with stock headers/cats. Interesting, my last car was a VE SS, exhaust was pretty much 100% a requirement if going the blower route
Mate, I could be WELL wrong. I'm just reading between the lines and using my understanding of NA vs FI.. Oh, and the information provided by KPM..
Call it speculation.
This is a LARGE, efficient blower, making good power with relatively little boost.
It may well work differently if you were using a smaller, less efficient unit, pushed hard.

Last edited:

Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
haha don't worry, so could I. And I'm in no position to spend anywhere near headers/cats or charger money, just interested.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just bumping this one back near the top in case we have new members who missed it.

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just stumbled upon this, any other updates to what's mentioned in here or is it better to PM or find you on facebook Burkey?

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
This sounds very interesting indeed.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well yeah but nah, but yeah...
Ok, so we needed to get quite a few on board in order to do it and for various reasons we weren't able to get the numbers....
As a group, we shared the pros and cons. Warranty became a big issue for some (most?)
The pricing was certainly right and there is always the chance that this could get up again at some point in the future, but at this point in time, all of the original contenders have withdrawn.
Sorry guys.

Sponsored

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys, I've found a Queensland supplier of Kenne Belle 2.8L chargers for about $6500 aud delivered! They are still developing their website so all the info isn't up there.

Once I know more I'll let you know

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well yeah but nah, but yeah...
Ok, so we needed to get quite a few on board in order to do it and for various reasons we weren't able to get the numbers....
As a group, we shared the pros and cons. Warranty became a big issue for some (most?)
The pricing was certainly right and there is always the chance that this could get up again at some point in the future, but at this point in time, all of the original contenders have withdrawn.
Sorry guys.
Damn, thats a shame. If it ever gets going again I would be seriously interested.

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys, I've found a Queensland supplier of Kenne Belle 2.8L chargers for about $6500 aud delivered! They are still developing their website so all the info isn't up there.

Once I know more I'll let you know
Definitley interested in hearing more about this

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang

The Whipple 2.9 can make over 850hp with the correct supporting mods and full exhaust.

It can also make approx 690 hp safely and reliably with a cat-back exhaust only.
To try and push for further power with only a cat-back exhaust is definitely possible, however at the detriment of best reliability due to high , hot intake pressures and temperatures.

This is why Streetfighter recommend a Full exhaust for all our packages over 700 hp. The Streetfighter headers rectify the restriction and imbalance in the factory headers to be able to uptune to high levels. The Streetfighter high flow metal cats will also cope with the higher demands of the extra power and flow.

Reactions: ssb
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Whipple 2.9 can make over 850hp with the correct supporting mods and full exhaust.

It can also make approx 690 hp safely and reliably with a cat-back exhaust only.
To try and push for further power with only a cat-back exhaust is definitely possible, however at the detriment of best reliability due to high , hot intake pressures and temperatures.

This is why Streetfighter recommend a Full exhaust for all our packages over 700 hp. The Streetfighter headers rectify the restriction and imbalance in the factory headers to be able to uptune to high levels. The Streetfighter high flow metal cats will also cope with the higher demands of the extra power and flow.
Thanks for the info David!
Reading between the lines a little, the vast majority (the sane people) aren't gonna need aftermarket headers in order to have a seriously ridiculous street car....
Sponsored