rancherogt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 Track Pack, 07 Volvo V70, 82 f350
The OEM aluminum 350 hood is over $2200.00

If you can make the front corners stronger to prevent hood flutter and lift at 100+ mph that some stock hoods experience would be awesome.
Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
That is one of the big advantages of Carbon Fiber, it will be very strong on the outer edges. I will ask Todd for the exact spec. However the roll he used to make a BMW roof last night was certified aerospace grade carbon.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
[MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION]

Your observations are correct. The hood is close, and looks good from about 15 feet away. However the fender to hood differences between a regular Mustang and GT350 are substantial. Enough so the are it drive lots of misalignment through out the rest of the hood, sides and the front.

We had our sacrificial clone on the car before I took these pictures. We couldn;t lower it because of the hinge studs, which we removed on the OEM piece. So we put the OEM Piece on it to confirm our suspicions.

I also need a new phone it didn't capture half the pictures I took, and barely takes good ones. Maybe I'll actually get a new one tomorrow and take more photos.

In the picture below, the orange overlays are gaps. The blue is physical interference where the hood is resting on the fenders.

The GT350 has much much more shape around the fenders and cowl than the regular mustang. The misalignment from the fender to hood interface causes most of this. What it also does, is drive the hood father forward. So in this picture you can see the hood is some what flush with the front bumper cover.

The hood is about 6mm too far forward in relation the the hinges, and cowl. So there is actually a large gap in the front as well. You can actually kinda see how much of the hood overlaps the headlights. It looks like the angry headlight inserts all the VW guys do. In addition to the gap, the profile is different. The GT350 has more of an arch on the leading edge than the regular mustang.

I am confident there is no changes to the hood fender profile though.

Could you get a OEM aluminum hood to work on regular mustang? Honestly probably not. Not without pouring money into custom body work. As you have to add and remove material. Hope this answers your question.

I will say this. It's a much prettier hood to look out over. And you can see more aswell. Although I have alot of money tied up in it. And there is going to be alot of time an money to get our fiberglass one to fit. To build Carbon ones. I have no doubt it will be worth it to have the same profile, and cut weight and not just a GT350 style heat extractor.
Thanks for the description! Scientific curiosity as to what was different... :thumbsup:

So if I am reading things correctly, you plan to make a hood for the standard S550 using the OEM 350 hood as a base? Will the fenders need to be installed as well in order to use your hood? I have been looking for a 350 styled hood for sometime and never quite found what I wanted. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

PS: If you need another car for test fitting.... :D:D

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I hear ya. I have seen the Mustang torn down to its base components, and this to me was the last mystery. What was changed on the front end of the GT350.

The intent is if one wants a GT350 style hood, they can have the closet thing that fits with a regular Mustang. To include fenders.

So if one just wanted fenders and wanted to retain stock hood and fascia they could. When I finally decided I wasn't going to buy a GT350. I started researching what it would take to get fenders on the car.

I found this test mule pictures, ans decided I really liked the Mustang Hood, and Fascia, with the GT350 Fenders, and Diffuser. In my mind this is what a 1LE fighter would look like.

However if you notice that car as a unique set of fenders, ones that don't have the swept provisions for the GT350 hood.
GT350 Mustang 2.jpg
GT350 Mustang-1.jpg

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I priced out the conversion myself and for all said parts it came out to be around $4500 unpainted, which is a bit pricey for some cosmetic mods. I'm not a fan of any of the knock-off versions so i'm just gonna stay with my GT appearance for now. lol
Keep going.

The hood even at the cheapest I've seen it is $1650. Then $300-400 to freight ship it (from experience buying OEM hoods in the past)

Fenders are $773 each. (PLUS $160 shipping for 2)

Front bumper easily $1,000-1,500 if you can even find one. I haven't seen anyone able to order one separate yet. Tack on shipping as it isnt a small item.

The core support is carbon fiber so equals expensive. I bet that core support alone is $500 easily.

You probably have EASILY have more like around $6k in parts after all the nuts and bolts and extra pieces before paint. And that's just the front end without the rear valence or spoiler.

Simply not worth doing. Better off using the $ that you would've put toward a GT plus that $7-8k extra in parts/paint (not even addressing the real valence, spoiler or wheels) and get a real base GT350.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Last time I checked it was 1300.00

Each Fender shield is 290.00
Even worse then.

So you're looking at like $7k just in parts (major parts not even nuts and bolts and tiny support pieces) before paint.

It simply no sense to do an OEM front end conversion like in the S197 days where the shelby parts in a "kit" were $3k total because everything was the same but the hood bumper w/grills and fogs and headlights and a foam bumper insulator. You could do the front end for $3k in parts plus paint. The parts were always super cheap for the 05-09 and used the same fenders and overall shape.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Levvittown can get you a pretty good deal on the parts. But your still looking at probably 7-9 after paint.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Levvittown can get you a pretty good deal on the parts. But your still looking at probably 7-9 after paint.
Those were Levittown prices lol. So that's the CHEAPEST you'll probably see it.

Hood is $1685 plus freight (300-400)
Fenders are 773 each (160 shipping for pair)

Guessing on the bumper cover since it's not available yet.

The 350 prices on parts are just high everywhere

Sponsored

zzj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H1828
very interested in real GT350 hood with carbon fiber finish. Did a lot of search but only be able to find carbon fiber GT350 "style" hood which will not fit GT350 at all.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Im buying the front bumper, what else has to be changed
Front fenders, bumper beam, bumper cover, both grilles, fangs, core support, radiator, inner wheel wells, belly pan, splitter, rocker panel trims etc etc. it's not worth it for you or anyone to convert a mustang to a GT350.

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
If it were me I'd just buy the aftermarket stuff and have a good body shop make it fit right. If you don't do that they usually turn out looking like the Fox Bodies with that Cobra knockoff fiberglass kit that it seemed everyone had and installed with drywall screws and bondo...

toddc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in process
very interested in real GT350 hood with carbon fiber finish. Did a lot of search but only be able to find carbon fiber GT350 "style" hood which will not fit GT350 at all.

If you're looking for a GT350 Carbon Hood for a GT350, we can help you.
We have a primer race hood in stock, very light weight, no cores, built as a proto for race only use.

We are in the middle of laying up a GT350 street hood that is full carbon with cores that should be ready in a few days.

Big difference here, gt350 and stock mustang are very different as has been pointed out many times.

If you're after the GT350 look that fits the stock mustang, it's not far away.

Regards,

Toddc
Sponsored