Lund Flex Fuel Tune - 93 octane vs. E85

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I wanted to share my experience on the Lund Flex Fuel tune and more specifically using regular gas (93 octane) and E85 ethanol.

I've had the tune several months now. I have had the tune reviewed several times by Greg at Lund (who has been fantastic by the way) and revised. One revision he did was on my request - to add some more timing advance earlier on in the RPM range. But I'm on an otherwise stock car besides a JLT intake and Gibson catback exhaust with an X pipe.

The tune makes really good power, especially after 3000-4000 RPMs. The shifts are very firm and direct (my Steeda diff inserts def helped a bit in this area). And the drive by wire settings are pretty good to where it doesn't always go right into engine braking right away and back on throttle isn't too jarring. Throttle response is GREAT, particularly partial throttle.

It's fast on 93 octane or E85. The air fuel ratio seems to adjust fairly quickly after switching fuels - it takes about 10 minutes to basically set in completely. Although after using E85 exclusively for a few weeks and then switching back to 93 octane, it takes quite awhile before it fully adapts back to 93 octane. It's taken weeks to fully raise back to 14.0. Probably because it takes awhile to completely burn off that last bit of ethanol.

I've switched back and forth and mixed the two to the point where I know kind of how the car runs. I'll put it this way- to me the car and the tune runs better on E85. I switched back to E85 tonight bc we've had such milder weather here in D.C. area. I can feel the extra power with the E85 - especially down low. The torque is definitely stronger and it jumps off the line and just keeps pulling.

On 93 octane it is less strong down below 3000 RPMs and once past 3000, gets into the powerband and it's like it jumps up abruptly. It's a bit less smooth. Also, the drive by wire settings are more sensitive - which makes it feel less comfortable. You wouldn't think that's a thing but I feel it.

On the E85 the engine just seems to run smoother. It gets up to go quicker and more smoothly and keeps going. And it seems to shut up much easier too. Maybe the drive by wire adjustments but it stops smoother and more easily.

So my observations are not just about more power but a smoother ride. I wonder if some of the parameters of the tune are compensated to run E85 really well and that's why 93 doesn't seem as good. Don't get me wrong it's still good but when I put it the E85 after a long stint of regular gas - man what a difference!

This tune is so worth it and I encourage others to try it. With what you get vs. other expensive tunes like the Ford PP1 and PP2's, this is a real bargain. Also, unintended result of the E85 - my exhaust note is smoother and sounds different. It's great to able to switch back and forth - 93 for a long road trip and E85 for having fun. Although I'm inclined to start using the E85 a lot more now because it's so nice to drive.
Sponsored

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
I just flashed a flex fuel tune as well about 3 days ago from Greg@Lund. Similar mods, catback and intake. I've only used 93 so far and AFR is around 11.2 at WOT. I noticed you said it takes a while after you switch fuel to go back up to 14.0.. mine moves around at 13.2-13.5 at idle/part throttle but he said it looks good hmm.

Anyway, I agree :cheers: - the tune woke the car up and is amazing to drive. I definitely feel a nice boost when I WOT above 3-4k rpms. Greg was very responsive and was more than happy to look over the datalogs and revise anything he thought necessary but he said he looked over the logs and the numbers were exactly where he wanted them.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I just flashed a flex fuel tune as well about 3 days ago from Greg@Lund. Similar mods, catback and intake. I've only used 93 so far and AFR is around 11.2 at WOT. I noticed you said it takes a while after you switch fuel to go back up to 14.0.. mine moves around at 13.2-13.5 at idle/part throttle but he said it looks good hmm.

Anyway, I agree :cheers: - the tune woke the car up and is amazing to drive. I definitely feel a nice boost when I WOT above 3-4k rpms. Greg was very responsive and was more than happy to look over the datalogs and revise anything he thought necessary but he said he looked over the logs and the numbers were exactly where he wanted them.
Let me know how you like the E85! My AFR fluctuates like that sometimes too. I've asked this question before and Greg has assured me everything is as he expected it to be.

The one main thing I've noticed about the Lund tune is the throttle response is on point. Something I wasn't happy about with the stock car.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
cars love alcohol!!!

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
cars love alcohol!!!
Me too! That's prob why I get along with mine so well :cheers:

[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] I've been running basically the same setup since January and getting similar results. It feels stouter across the power band and the exhaust seems to have a slightly deeper tone. The part throttle and pedal feel are great, I can actually cruise around parking lots in first gear without it being jerky and lunging. The engine braking is also slower now too, which took a little adjusting to as it coasts now off throttle, but it's no longer either on/off like stock so I can cruise easier if that makes sense.

The nGauge reads 91% alky so I do occasionally get some minor surging with cold starts on the colder days but 5-10min of warm up time and the oil temp is in the green and coolant is ~130-150* so off I go.

What are you seeing for spark and AFR? I'm seeing ~9AFR at idle which was odd but it seems like that is in the normal range for e85 according to some and spark goes from negatives to +30s. May run some logs and have them check it out but it feels fine and a combined 12MPG (been up to 14 with more Hwy driving mixed in) on e85 isn't bad IMO as 93 was 17MPG. I'm hoping to get it dyno'd in the next week, just waiting for a call back to nail down the day. That and the data logs should give me a good picture of how it's running.

Sponsored

new302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
16 PP GT
Thanks for the review op. A tune is on the list with longtubes, and I've been debating 93 vs flex.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Me too! That's prob why I get along with mine so well :cheers:

[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] I've been running basically the same setup since January and getting similar results. It feels stouter across the power band and the exhaust seems to have a slightly deeper tone. The part throttle and pedal feel are great, I can actually cruise around parking lots in first gear without it being jerky and lunging. The engine braking is also slower now too, which took a little adjusting to as it coasts now off throttle, but it's no longer either on/off like stock so I can cruise easier if that makes sense.

The nGauge reads 91% alky so I do occasionally get some minor surging with cold starts on the colder days but 5-10min of warm up time and the oil temp is in the green and coolant is ~130-150* so off I go.

What are you seeing for spark and AFR? I'm seeing ~9AFR at idle which was odd but it seems like that is in the normal range for e85 according to some and spark goes from negatives to +30s. May run some logs and have them check it out but it feels fine and a combined 12MPG (been up to 14 with more Hwy driving mixed in) on e85 isn't bad IMO as 93 was 17MPG. I'm hoping to get it dyno'd in the next week, just waiting for a call back to nail down the day. That and the data logs should give me a good picture of how it's running.
At WOT I was seeing an average of .85 lambda. From 5200-7000RPM timing was 29.5 and 29.75 on spark advance and spark advance v2. I hit 115.31mph in 3rd at 7039 RPMs. Avg. short term fuel trims were 1.00

On full E85 I was seeing about 10 for AFR at idle and about 8 at WOT on my car's dash gauge. I can get as much as 19mpg on the highway with E85 and about 11 all other time (a lot city driving, sitting at lights and time when I'm just idling). I could probably get slightly mpg in the city if was being economical. Max knock was 0 and minimum knock was -10. The minimum knock was -8.65 at WOT.

I don't know much but I do know that positive knock is bad and timing advance is good. Everything appears to be looking good. I love the E85. It even smells good.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I'm getting a Lund tune really soon but debating if I should get the Flex tune or the 91 tune. Will the car perform as good with the Flex tune running 91 fuel vs getting a dedicated 91 tune?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm getting a Lund tune really soon but debating if I should get the Flex tune or the 91 tune. Will the car perform as good with the Flex tune running 91 fuel vs getting a dedicated 91 tune?
I actually have asked Lund today about that. I don't run E85 year round, only in the summer really. I'll post what I hear back.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
^^ thanks a lot!
I'm only curious to feel the difference and I think it will be fun to run a tank here and there but my car is my daily and e85 is not that easy to get in my area.

Sponsored

Spartan_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT/PP M/T
Interested in this as well, I daily mine with 93, but wouldn't mind the ability to put a tank of E85 in here and there for some fun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes, you'll get the same performance as a standard 91 or 93 calibration but with the ability to run ethanol mixes that will increase the power output via increased timing. Let's not forget how awesome ethanol is in general for keeping the engine happy!

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I like the FF tune. I feel the same way as the OP. Mid range is where I feel it but according to the ngauge it definitely making more power. I went from 29 degrees max 3rd gear redline to 33 degrees max 3rd gear redline. Alch%was at 82 and now after refilling at HEB instead of Valero it's up to 91. Knock is no where insight.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
I've been debating going the E85 route as well since I just moved to Ashburn a month ago and am now 5-ish miles away from an E85 station. But I am curious about one thing with switching between the two gasses:

How far down should you run either tank (93 or E85) before filling up with the other? And if E85 burns faster/gets less mileage, how close should you safely get to empty before filling up?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've been debating going the E85 route as well since I just moved to Ashburn a month ago and am now 5-ish miles away from an E85 station. But I am curious about one thing with switching between the two gasses:

How far down should you run either tank (93 or E85) before filling up with the other? And if E85 burns faster/gets less mileage, how close should you safely get to empty before filling up?
Doesn't matter since the logic will adjust the stoich based on fuel trims. Just drive it around long enough after filling to let the adjustment learn fully.

I rarely ever run my car lower than 1/4 tank which is oddly when the idiot gas light comes on which is a bit concerning.
Sponsored