Sponsored

What does Mustang have in common with U2 spy plane?

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
On my flight to Sacramento yesterday, I sat next to a guy whose son was in the Air Force and stationed at Biele AFB which we were flying over at the time. He said U2 spy planes fly out of there. Because of the unique nature of this plane it needs a spotter during takeoff and landing. They employ a chase car and he said they use Mustang GT's. Pretty cool.

I checked it out on YouTube and did confirm that they employ chase cars. Seems different bases use other cars.
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think they've used corvettes at one time

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
They use a Camaro in South Korea. Just depends on what they get from the vehicle maintenance squadron.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
They used Camaros and GTO at Beale at some point - that I am certain as I saw those. They just need something that accelerates quick enough to keep up with a plane.

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
I was stationed at Alconbury AFB, UK back in the 90's and they used Mustang LX5.0 coupes for chase cars on the U2 planes. If my memory serves me correctly, they also put the wheels under the wings as they slowed down.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
That's incorrect, that would be way too risky to allow. The plane has skid plates on the wing tips. When the plane comes to a stop the crew chiefs will lift the wing up and place a pogo wheel under it and then lay on the wing while the aircraft taxis back to the hanger. It's quite amusing.

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
Thanks for the correction, I was given some bad information. I had never seen the cars in action, only worked on them.

Lbdyll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
That's incorrect, that would be way too risky to allow. The plane has skid plates on the wing tips. When the plane comes to a stop the crew chiefs will lift the wing up and place a pogo wheel under it and then lay on the wing while the aircraft taxis back to the hanger. It's quite amusing.
This is correct, except you don't always lay on the wing lol. That is only if the pogo doesn't latch into the wing because of a malfunction. Also I have done what is called a hand launch, basically on takeoff if the wing doesn't have enough fuel in it to keep the pogos in after pulling the pins. You literally hold the wing and take about 3-4 steps holding the wing up while the aircraft is taking off. Pretty scary the first time but after that a blast. (pun intended)

I worked the U-2 for 6 years. When I first got to Beale they were using 98-99 Camaros, then they got GTOs, and then G8s and now they are using new Camaros. Currently the only time they use other cars ie. corvettes, audis, or any other vehicles. Is when they are TDY.

JmalB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge NSRT-4, 2015 Mustang GT PP
I was stationed at Alconbury AFB, UK back in the 90's and they used Mustang LX5.0 coupes for chase cars on the U2 planes. If my memory serves me correctly, they also put the wheels under the wings as they slowed down.
Small world. My parents were stationed at RAF Alconbury from 88 to 92. So I went to high school there. :cheers:

Sponsored

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
On my flight to Sacramento yesterday, I sat next to a guy whose son was in the Air Force and stationed at Biele AFB which we were flying over at the time. He said U2 spy planes fly out of there. Because of the unique nature of this plane it needs a spotter during takeoff and landing. They employ a chase car and he said they use Mustang GT's. Pretty cool.

I checked it out on YouTube and did confirm that they employ chase cars. Seems different bases use other cars.
All previously mentioned cars have been used at one point or another including Fox body GTs, the current U-2 chase car fleet consists of the outgoing Pontiac G8s, Camaro SS and the newest cars added to the fleet are Police Package Chargers. No Mustangs currently or in recent years.

Current Beale AFB Airfield Manager

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Please enlighten me.
What is the purpose of the chase car?
Is it just communicating with the pilot on wing angle?

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Please enlighten me.
What is the purpose of the chase car?
Is it just communicating with the pilot on wing angle?
That and distance to ground (in 1ft increments) starting at 10ft to touchdown, as well as alignment with the centerline of the runway.

On take off they chase for wing angle, centerline alignment and to let the pilot know if the POGOs dropped out or not.

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
How was that youtube video allowed?
Public Affairs approval? Cant answer that one.

2 years ago we had the MythBusters crew out filming an episode, and there have been plenty of other media outlets that have covered it over the years. The U-2 has not been a classified Aircraft for many decades.
Sponsored