Sponsored

LHD Mustang spotted today in Melb (with pic)

MisterZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT coupe, race red, 6AT
So this evening I was driving in Richmond and happened to spot my exact same car, but LHD! What's even more odd is that it has the export-style tail-lights, and not the US red coloured ones. Can anyone explain this car? Has anyone seen any LHD ones before?

Even more unusual is that a check on the plate (1CT6HS) returns a mysterious "error" on the Vicroads website (even though checking my own plate or any other plate works fine). The plate 1CT was issued in early 2014, by the way, which means the plate is older than the car itself.
LHDstang.jpg
Sponsored

GrabberS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
17' Ford Mustang GT Convertible Grabber Blue
This is most likely a Ford AU car that was brought in for testing before local release. Tail lights changed for legal reasons but everything else U.S. Spec would meet exemption rules for test mules with VicRoads.

OP
OP

MisterZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is most likely a Ford AU car that was brought in for testing before local release. Tail lights changed for legal reasons but everything else U.S. Spec would meet exemption rules for test mules with VicRoads.
Interesting. So if this car's purpose was for "testing", then why is it still being driven?? What possible testing could they still be doing at this stage?

GrabberS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
17' Ford Mustang GT Convertible Grabber Blue
Ford would pay an exemption fee unlike standard registration that they could renew for as long as 'necessary'. I can only assume it's not worth shipping back to the U.S. and can't be sold here so until it breaks down and isn't financially viable to repair they will keep paying the exempt fees to keep it a usable LHD vehicle in Oz. Probably the cheapest option and while Ford still does R&D in Oz they can do whatever they like with it.

Sponsored

Fingers

Can't re Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Various Ford vehicles
Or it will be driven as a hack at the proving ground like lots of other oddball stuff is

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang Fastback Race Red
Interesting. So if this car's purpose was for "testing", then why is it still being driven?? What possible testing could they still be doing at this stage?
Testing the Hybrid version in "Australian conditions" :lol:

OP
OP

MisterZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can only assume it's not worth shipping back to the U.S.
Why not? A 2015 GT Premium should easily fetch 25-30 grand in the US. Subtract shipping costs, and you're still left with 20-25 grand profit. The fact that it has export clear tail lights would also increase it's value/saleability in the US. But who knows how many kms it's done...

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
I reckon Ford Australia would still have the Triple Yellow LHD GT that did the tour of Australian Ford dealerships in mid 2015, still in their stock of test vehicles as well.

Sponsored

dingobreath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT orange
Some european countries drive on the left. Likely an eu model from european left hand market.

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
Some european countries drive on the left. Likely an eu model from european left hand market.
Skinny wing mirrors and the large GT badge on the back between the tail lights indicate this red one is not a normal export or European model.

ozengine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EB Ruby Red Convertible
Has the bump on the roof, so I assume not the original shipment ?

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Has the bump on the roof, so I assume not the original shipment ?
Hmm, good point. Could be a test mule. MY18 driveline in a current body. Testing for emissions, economy etc.
Sponsored