Rear drivers side suspension squeak

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
[MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] I did remove the passenger side vertical link and install the factory one but the Squeak remained. I never gave the toe link swap a try because of the fact that I can't truly install the factory toe rod without losing the toe setting on that side. I honestly don't think it's the toe rods though.

I did some testing today with my Steelman ChassisEar and got some results but they are somewhat negligible. I placed sensors on the following locations:

- Sway bar link
- Sway Bar Bushing
- SP080 Spring Coil
- RLCA
- Camber to Hub
- CB005 well

I could hear the squeak pretty clearly on all of the sensors except the spring coil. One of them I could hear the squeak slightly louder than the others and that was from the Camber Arm to Hub location. I would love to say with confidence that it is the camber arm bushing but the problem is that the squeak is so loud and high pitched that 5 out of the 6 sensors picked up the squeak sound pretty clearly. The squeak is honestly so audible that one would think something is severely loose or would be easy to spot with a simple once over.

[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] Funny that you mentioned the Camber Arm Bushing, it may in fact be the culprit of my squeak. Did yours squeak similar to what I have described mine sounding like?

-Nick :cheers:
Mine was more of a creak than a high pitched squeak but nevertheless that could be the cause. What could have happened is that maybe the bushings were not completely clocked properly, which caused damage the camber arm bushing - which I believe is what happened to me. And I think suspension bind coupled with stiffer aftermarket parts in the rear eventually causes damage to that stock camber arm bushing.

I would recommend clocking everything again - then remove the camber arm, hit it with some lubrication and see if that does it. If not try replacing it with a new one. I had this happen on both sides actually even though I initially only heard it on the passenger side rear. The driver side I was able to lubricate it and it went away.

I'd also recommend looking into upgrading the RLCA with a bearing. This has been the final fix for me because it has removed a lot suspension bind which I think at least part is the cause of this damage occurring to the camber arm. It would just keep coming back - but after the LCA bearing upgrade it seems to have gone away and no clunking or squeaking or creaking present.

Get it up on a lift at a shop and try to isolate it. We were able to clearly isolate it to the camber arm.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
[MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] I did remove the passenger side vertical link and install the factory one but the Squeak remained. I never gave the toe link swap a try because of the fact that I can't truly install the factory toe rod without losing the toe setting on that side. I honestly don't think it's the toe rods though.

-Nick :cheers:
Nick, was that a mistake? Didn't you say the squeak was on the driver's side? Shouldn't you swap the driver's side vertical link?

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Nick, was that a mistake? Didn't you say the squeak was on the driver's side? Shouldn't you swap the driver's side vertical link?
Yup that was a typo. I meant to type drivers side there instead of passenger side :headbonk:

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Well damn.

I was actually hoping it was one of those parts so we could make it an easy fix. :(

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Mine was more of a creak than a high pitched squeak but nevertheless that could be the cause. What could have happened is that maybe the bushings were not completely clocked properly, which caused damage the camber arm bushing - which I believe is what happened to me. And I think suspension bind coupled with stiffer aftermarket parts in the rear eventually causes damage to that stock camber arm bushing.

I would recommend clocking everything again - then remove the camber arm, hit it with some lubrication and see if that does it. If not try replacing it with a new one. I had this happen on both sides actually even though I initially only heard it on the passenger side rear. The driver side I was able to lubricate it and it went away.

I'd also recommend looking into upgrading the RLCA with a bearing. This has been the final fix for me because it has removed a lot suspension bind which I think at least part is the cause of this damage occurring to the camber arm. It would just keep coming back - but after the LCA bearing upgrade it seems to have gone away and no clunking or squeaking or creaking present.

Get it up on a lift at a shop and try to isolate it. We were able to clearly isolate it to the camber arm.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the situation you had in detail. I'm going to install the Steeda RLCA this Saturday so it will give me a good chance to re-clock and double check everything.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You will find it dude. Took me several months and a lot of aggravation to get it. Just keep at it and keep us posted.

If you can't find it on your own - I'll bet [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] can help you to find it. Dude is a wealth of knowledge.

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION]. Found the squeak today while installing the Steeda RLCA's and BMR BK051 kit.

Cleaned the gunk/crud off the bearings and then lubricated them with some penetrating oil. Squeak free. Thank god!!!!

RLCA and BK051 completely changed the handling of the rear in a good way. Way more connected feeling and the rear end no longer shimmies when going over bumps in the road where only one rear tire engages the bump (i.e. Pot hole or manhole cover)

Thanks for all the help to those that gave guidance and motivation!!!!

Nick

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Congrats Nick! Glad you got that sorted out. I HATE squeaks!

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Nick you might want to ask Kelly for a recommendation on how they recommend lubricating the bearings in their adjustable toe rods unless you already did that after the penetrating oil. While the penetrating oil may get rid of it for now, it'll probably come back.

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Nick you might want to ask Kelly for a recommendation on how they recommend lubricating the bearings in their adjustable toe rods unless you already did that after the penetrating oil. While the penetrating oil may get rid of it for now, it'll probably come back.
Definitely will reach out to Kelly to see what he suggest. I remember seeing someone a few months again post about a silicone boot protector that perfectly covers the entire bearing portion. Seems like it would work really nice at keeping contaminants from entering the bearing.

I'm just happy that the squeak sound is gone for now and if it ever comes back, I now know where to look. Huge weight lifted off my shoulders today!

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I remember seeing someone a few months again post about a silicone boot protector that perfectly covers the entire bearing portion. Seems like it would work really nice at keeping contaminants from entering the bearing.
Oh yeah! I remember that, great idea! At the time, I wasn't sure where they would be used or how to buy them, if they came in different sizes and how to know which one to buy. For anyone that lives in an area with snow or even if you're going through any dirt, I think it's a nice idea. Maybe someone that knows about them will reply.

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
@BMR Tech . Where you at Kelly?!?!? :ninja::cheers:

-Nick
Hey Nick, Sorry man...I am doing everything in my power to keep up. Busy season is kicking my @$$!

Watching the video then seeing what resolved it, it appears that you definitely have some contamination going on which I will contribute to the road and weather conditions over there, more than likely.

What I suggest is for you to acquire some Seals-It Boots for the bearings to help keep contamination at bay, or something equivalent.

Of course, you do not need to install boots...but if you are in weather and road conditions that can cause this, I recommend cleaning the bearings occasionally with a mild dawn dish soap to water solution and then air drying with moving or compressed air.

Shoot me an email to [email protected]

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Hey Nick, Sorry man...I am doing everything in my power to keep up. Busy season is kicking my @$$!

Watching the video then seeing what resolved it, it appears that you definitely have some contamination going on which I will contribute to the road and weather conditions over there, more than likely.

What I suggest is for you to acquire some Seals-It Boots for the bearings to help keep contamination at bay, or something equivalent.

Of course, you do not need to install boots...but if you are in weather and road conditions that can cause this, I recommend cleaning the bearings occasionally with a mild dawn dish soap to water solution and then air drying with moving or compressed air.

Shoot me an email to [email protected]
No worries Kelly! With spring quickly approaching I can only imagine how busy you are :headbang:. Can't wait to see some upcoming new products you've been hinting of :ninja::ninja:

Germany definitely goes heavy on the salt use during the end of fall and winter. I'm sure that was a heavy contributing factor of the contamination. Will definitely look in to the Seals-it Boots.

-Nick
Sponsored