Thunk in Driveline

Mcgyver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic 6 Spd Manual
I was looking at a thread about the noise made by some manual transmissions. Has anyone in OZ had a similar issue.

Mine is just getting on to 800kms now and the noise is quite pronounced when changing gear - but also when moving from acceleration to deceleration in-gear.

It sounds like slop in the diff or something like that.

Anyone else?
Sponsored

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah pretty common mate, mine has always done it. I get it in 6th on the hwy when coming off light throttle and sometimes getting back on it

OP
OP

Mcgyver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Yeah pretty common mate, mine has always done it. I get it in 6th on the hwy when coming off light throttle and sometimes getting back on it
Thanks Phil,

So it is something to get used to ...and not to discuss with the dealer?

Have you raised it with Ford?

17Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Hey Phil I never heard anything when I went for a spin with you in your beast, but as you were on the rev limiter it was hard to hear anything :headbang::headbang::headbang:

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks Phil,

So it is something to get used to ...and not to discuss with the dealer?

Have you raised it with Ford?
Nah I haven't raised it, It does settle down a bit over time but yeah im supercharged now so ford wont want to know me. I will be replacing drive shaft and diff over time so no doubt will get that fixed up then

Sponsored

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey Phil I never heard anything when I went for a spin with you in your beast, but as you were on the rev limiter it was hard to hear anything :headbang::headbang::headbang:
hahah yeah its only when cruising u notice it

Freman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eco boost 21-10-16
Mine too, only on immediate change from gas to no gas (eg like you just left it in gear instead of changing to the next gear)

I also had (at the beginning) what I would describe as bearing noise from the back of the transmission area which I have not not noticed in a long time now.

You should mention it to the dealer just so it's on record.

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
I've noticed it on light acceleration at low revs when depressing the clutch, and changing from first gear to second. Not like a backlash feeling but just that small thunk sound/feeling. Probably related to the touchy throttle when I first drive the Mustang after driving my daily driver.

OP
OP

Mcgyver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Nah I haven't raised it, It does settle down a bit over time but yeah im supercharged now so ford wont want to know me. I will be replacing drive shaft and diff over time so no doubt will get that fixed up then
It looks as if they don't want to know anyone on this topic in any case.

Did you go with the Harrop supercharger? They seem resonantly well priced with a very well sorted product - but you need to spend quite a bit on tuning it on a dyno as they don't do a canned tune from what they tell me.

What was Your experience? Have you documented it in a blog?

Lastly - can you actually use the extra power on the street? I am struggling to get traction to handle track mode with the stock motor - I can only imagine that an extra 250 hp would make it hilarious.:eyebulge:

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It looks as if they don't want to know anyone on this topic in any case.

Did you go with the Harrop supercharger? They seem resonantly well priced with a very well sorted product - but you need to spend quite a bit on tuning it on a dyno as they don't do a canned tune from what they tell me.

What was Your experience? Have you documented it in a blog?

Lastly - can you actually use the extra power on the street? I am struggling to get traction to handle track mode with the stock motor - I can only imagine that an extra 250 hp would make it hilarious.:eyebulge:
Hey mate

yeah I went with Harrop directly. Best decision ever! Drove down to Melbourne, left the car with them for a week and drove back home. Tune is really good as they have made some revisions for the manual over time (auto is even better again).

I know they are working on a tune in which you can just load and away you go but it's pretty complicated so not sure on timing.

Yep can absolutely use the power hey, 1st obviously not, but second gear i can be rolling along and plant it and away we go. I do have some fatter rubber and other suspension work done so that should help but it's very nice either way

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mcgyver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Phil, the Harrop setup shies real OEM finish ( well they did the last Falcon for several years didnt they)
i imagine tbe instal and tune ran to $5k plus?

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks Phil, the Harrop setup shies real OEM finish ( well they did the last Falcon for several years didnt they)
i imagine tbe instal and tune ran to $5k plus?
yeah mate thats the other reason I went with them. Drive in/Drive out with warranty was $14,990

Cheers!

OP
OP

Mcgyver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Update on the "thunk" in my driveline. I took it to an engineer and took his report to the stealership. They are niw rebiulding the diff. They said it will take at least a week ??????? What a shocker on a car with 3,000 kms on it.

El Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
That's interesting. What were the general details of the engineer's report?

I just picked up my GT last week and I too was somewhat concerned with the thunk sound through gearshifting; for me the noise is most pronounced when shifting from second to third.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Looks like Fords usual drive line shunt is well and truly alive in our Mustangs. I had no choice in getting Auto in my vert and it might be a good thing anyway.
Sponsored