Sponsored

Strut Tower Brace missing from your engine bay?

bluestang21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
No, but if you're going to go through the trouble to do it at all, get the k-brace too. Read Mishimoto's strut tower thread to show how effective that piece is. The additive effect of both is quite significant.
Isn't the installation of the strut tower brace super easy? What about the k brace?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't the installation of the strut tower brace super easy? What about the k brace?
I did both in less than 30 mins taking my time. They're both easy, just need to be patient with taking clips out. Definitely worth it.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
Anyone have the part# of the mounting hardware for this part? I really need to know. Thanks.
[MENTION=20461]Less Weight[/MENTION] I installed this on my non-PP car and went to Lowes hardware section and got 4 bolts M8-1.25x30mm and some 5/16x1-1/4" fender washers. I wasn't able to find the bolts in the diagrams on ford parts website.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto
The back black brace is the one that does the work the shock tower brace that goes from tower to tower is pretty useless on its own. The rear one is what makes the front silver one do anything. Triangulation without the back brace there is NO triangulation for the silver brace. The silver brace alone is for looks not performance.
This is not %100 true. I installed just the Silver GT Strut Brace without the black back brace and a Steeda G-Force K-Member Brace on the lower sub-frame and got similar results. Much sharper steering response to the point that it is almost twitchy. It took a little while to get used the new steering feel. However I did order the Ford Racing Strut Tower Kit with both braces and plan to install the black back brace when the kit comes. I will sell the black Cross Strut Brace from the kit when it comes.

Sponsored

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Another photo. :cheers:
nk
Thank you for the part numbers. However I believe that these nuts will be included in the Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace Kit that I ordered from CJ Pony last week to get the cowl C-Brace. With the GT Cross Strut Bar I currently have install on car I used 15mm nuts that I bought at local auto parts store. It turns out there 3 different pitch 15mm nuts. The courses pitch is the correct one. I had to try all three to find the right pitch. Also I tried to buy the nuts at the ford dealer where I bought my car and they did not stock them. When I sell the black Ford Racing cross bar I will include the nut that I am now using. I will install brace when I install the Steeda Pro-Action Shocks & Struts that I ordered today. With the installation of these two items it complete all of the suspension mods I intend to add to my car. I can't lower my car because it already slightly scraps going in and out of garage.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Horse hockey
Just your opinion. I installed a BMW factory strut tower brace on a BMW Z4 before with no other mods and got a noticeable improvement in the steering feel. As long as you install a strut tower brace without any flex joints in it like some aftermarket strut tower braces you will see some improvement in steering.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
FWIW, I have an Ecoboost with PP which only comes with the brace that ties the strut towers to the cowl.

I added the strut to strut brace. It made a very noticeable improvement in the composure of the front end on broken pavement.

I then added the Steeda rear subframe braces, this did the same for the rear end and made a very noticeable reduction in wheel hop on hard launches.

I then added the BMR lower K frame brace. This made another noticeable improvement in the front end composure. But it creaked during low speed manuvers. I have checked the torque on the fasteners and they are tight. I am happy to say with some miles on the car the creaking has subsided and is almost gone.

Each of these changes has made an improvement i can feel and I am quite satisfied.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, I have an Ecoboost with PP which only comes with the brace that ties the strut towers to the cowl.

I added the strut to strut brace. It made a very noticeable improvement in the composure of the front end on broken pavement.

I then added the Steeda rear subframe braces, this did the same for the rear end and made a very noticeable reduction in wheel hop on hard launches.

I then added the BMR lower K frame brace. This made another noticeable improvement in the front end composure. But it creaked during low speed manuvers. I have checked the torque on the fasteners and they are tight. I am happy to say with some miles on the car the creaking has subsided and is almost gone.

Each of these changes has made an improvement i can feel and I am quite satisfied.
I agree each of the changes you made contribute to the overall handling improvements to your car. That is why I am adding the cowl brace in my round of suspension mods. I have the much of same mods you have. I have the Steeda G-Force K-Member lower brace instead of BMR lower K brace and I also have the Steeda rear subframe braces. All of these mods have played a part in the overall improvements that I have made to the handling of my car which is a GT Premium with an automatic transmission. I have an automatic trans because I am too old to want to make every gear change. Up until about 15 years ago you couldn't get to buy a car without a stick shift. I drove stick shift only cars for over 35 years and I am tired of shifting so that why my Mustang GT has an automatic trans and paddle shifter this works very well for me.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Hey all, new guy here. Just wanted to say that I found this thread very informative and helpful. Thanks to all who posted.

My 2017 GT Premium came with the metal cowl brace, but as you know, you can't just order the strut tower brace by itself. So I have the complete kit coming from American Muscle (best price, shipped, that I could find). I'll put my cowl brace up for sale once I've got the strut tower brace installed.

Car is only two weeks old but I've already got a Ford Performance by Borla Touring cat-back and the strut tower brace on the way. I am strongly contemplating an Airaid enclosed intake and a tune, but am worried about my warranty. The car is a daily driver and not a weekend-only toy (I wish).

Looking forward to learning lots from you guys!

Last edited:

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Test for sig pic? Oh, of course NOW it shows up. :/

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=20461]Less Weight[/MENTION] I installed this on my non-PP car and went to Lowes hardware section and got 4 bolts M8-1.25x30mm and some 5/16x1-1/4" fender washers. I wasn't able to find the bolts in the diagrams on ford parts website.
Thanks man. Much appreciated.:)

This photo is the strut nuts you need.... Hope this helps you. :cheers:
Thanks! :)
Sponsored