OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 - Oxford White
Which speakers did you end up going with?
Turns out the Kicker setup I had orginially selected wasn't going to fit in a number of ways. The main factor was with the tweeters, in that they're too large of a diameter to fit in the holes for the factory tweeters on the A pillars. I didn't want to cut out or modify the car just to fit some speakers so I opted for a setup that I knew would fit in the A pillar and doors. I ordered the following setup with the help of Crutchfield, which should arrive tomorrow:

Rear Deck
JBL GT7-6 6-3/4" Car Speakers

Front Doors/A Pillars:
JBL Club 6500C 6-1/2" Component System

Still working on the amp, as some of the reviews I read about the Pioneer have shown frequent issues with the RCA outputs going bad after a short period of time. With the reduced RMS requirement from the JBL's I'm likely going to go with a JL audo 4 channel amp, but will update once purchased.
Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Turns out the Kicker setup I had orginially selected wasn't going to fit in a number of ways. The main factor was with the tweeters, in that they're too large of a diameter to fit in the holes for the factory tweeters on the A pillars. I didn't want to cut out or modify the car just to fit some speakers so I opted for a setup that I knew would fit in the A pillar and doors. I ordered the following setup with the help of Crutchfield, which should arrive tomorrow:

Rear Deck

Front Doors/A Pillars:

Still working on the amp, as some of the reviews I read about the Pioneer have shown frequent issues with the RCA outputs going bad after a short period of time. With the reduced RMS requirement from the JBL's I'm likely going to go with a JL audo 4 channel amp, but will update once purchased.
Thanks for the all the info and updates. I will be doing a speaker and amp upgrade soon. I know nothing about car audio anymore, so I will likely go with your setup provided you like the results. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the all the info and updates. I will be doing a speaker and amp upgrade soon. I know nothing about car audio anymore, so I will likely go with your setup provided you like the results. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.
No worries. I dont do any major mods myself but like to tinker and the forums are my main resource for information when I'm doing something new. I provide my own experience, when I can, just to do my part.

cattivo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geno
Vehicle(s)
17GT350
That looks great. Do you know what components you used? I had two jl 12's in my 2016 GT, a bit much but I think just one will be fine.
The sub is a JL 12T-W3-D4. I cannot recall which JL amp I have but it's the same I had powering 2 of these subs in my previous car. I can tell you in all honesty, being one who loves bass, the one, installed as I have it, hits more than hard enough. I also went with JL C2-075 tweeters, and JL C2-650 Component speakers up front and rounded it out with JL C2-650X 2 ways in the rear. I also have a bass control knob installed in place of the cigarette lighter. My music is always my first mod, and this set up works and sounds very nice!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
How are you fellas integrating an aftermarket FRONT component speaker crossover if using the factory wires (i.e.: NOT running new wires from A-pillar tweeter to crossover and new wires from door speaker to crossover)?

Nice setups and chosen components!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are you fellas integrating an aftermarket FRONT component speaker crossover if using the factory wires (i.e.: NOT running new wires from A-pillar tweeter to crossover and new wires from door speaker to crossover)?

I haven't looked at the wiring from the amp yet, but being that it's already a component system, I would assume it's already wired through a crossover. The 9 speaker system isn't likely to run separate channels for the factory front woofer and tweeter but I could be wrong.

**Edit - Just found this link re: 9 speaker install on a GT... Looks like the tweeters are bridged off the 3.5's in the doors. If that's the case then all the wiring should be in one spot, for the crossovers to be hooked up.**

Last edited:
OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

When I did the install, I noticed that the tweeters are powered from the 3.5" mid range speakers in the doors. The tweeters actually have a small resistor installed in the speaker to block out the bass. The problem I'm seeing though is that the larger door woofer didn't have any type of crossover and I'm wondering where to connect the crossovers now too.

basically, there are two speaker wires coming from the amp, 1 set for the woofer in the door and the other set for the 3.5"mid and tweeter (I assume it branches off at some point to the tweeter). Not sure if I should install the crossover at the amp so the woofer gets only the low end and the tweeter and 3.5" only get the high end... any thoughts?

OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*Updates* Switched LOC to DSP, installed speakers/amp, planning on new harness

So after quite a bit of research, shop visits, and at home garage time, this is where i'm at in perfecting the Shelby's audio situation.

My first try at fixing the audio quality issue (poor bass, poor audio qaulity from factory) I updated the stereo with a JL micro sub, LC7i LOC, and mono Amp. It worked to get some of the bass back from the factory speakers still didn't live up to their role in a premium sportscar:

Remote on wiring for the LOC

The issues persisted and I decided that the best way to get the sound I was looking for was to replace all the factory speakers. I decided not to replace the 3.5"s in the doors or the center speaker because there weren't any tested speakers to fit those locations (as of my research). I did replace the pillar tweeters and 6.5" lower mid speakers, and the coax speakers in the rear. I chose the following:

- Metra 72-5602 speaker harness
- Metra 82-5605 Ford Spkr Bracket

- Metra 82-5605 Ford Spkr Bracket

The tweeters fit the appropriate locations but needed a bit of dremel work to clear out the hole enough for flush fitment:

Stock Tweeter -

popping out the tweeter you'll see a bunch of bracket in the piller that needs to be cut out

Tweeter Removed Front-

Tweeter Removed Rear- basicalyl cut it all out

Installed the new tweeter so it sits flush in the pillar

New Tweeter front-

The 6.5"s did not fit the metra adapters provided, not sure why because crutchfield and everyone else said they should fit, but no matter how I lined up the holes there was just something a off. The problems were the tabs inside the adapters so I got rid of them with a dremel. Just cut them out and sanded them down.

The GT-7s Front

GT-7s rear
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2486/32859082782_99e36a8e86_c.jpg[/img

To make sure that the aftermarket speakers had enough power to them, I paired them up with a 4 channel Alpine amp with an output of 75rms per channel.

Alpine MRV-F300 50W x 4 Car Amplifier

After powering it up, I still wasn't happy. There was an insessant hiss coming from the tweeters and every speaker up front. I thought it was a bad ACM or bad connection somewhere, but after looking at all the connections and doing some research, it turns out that its the factory head unit (HU) sound processing. I thought purchasing a JL Fix86 DSP would clean up the signal enough to fix the issue... but I was wrong. I purchased the DSP, replaced the LC7i with it, and had that installed with the amp and speakers. The hiss is still there and the issue with the Fix86 is that its meant to be controlled by the (optional) remote knob for volume.. you calibrate it with your factory radio at certain settings and then leave it, controlling the volume with the knob.. this pretty much kills any use of steering wheel controls and your headunit's use. Either way, this is where I am at the moment:

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2910/32973126976_d7d7009fa4_c.jpg

The reality is, you can't come out of the factory HU to the factory amp and then to aftermarket amps, and still expect to have good sounding audio. It's just not possible with this car. So for that reason, I'm returning the DSP and going with OEMRadio's Aftermarket Amp Harness, which converts the speakers (all of them) to line level outs directly from the HU and then runs those connections directly to the amps via RCAs.. no need for a LOC, no need for a dsp (although it can help), and best of all, no audio processing at the factory amp..

It's been a long road but I'm hoping the new harness will solve the annoying hiss and provide quality audio to the speakers. I'll update once that's done as well.

A helpful diagram to understand the wiring schematics of the speaker inputs...Center channel is created after the factory amp (expect to lose it) and door 3.5"s/tweeters run off the same line (thanks ford)

Theodora at the shop:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finished Product -
The JL Audio Fix 86 didn't get rid of the static sound I was experiencing so my last ditch effort was to go with an Audison Bit Ten Digital Sound Processor. While the audio tech was in the car, I gave him a call and said I wanted this to be the final attempt at perfecting the sound and he also suggested to ditch the JBL's for a Morel 3-way setup. It was a bit more expensive but he assured me it would be amazingly different. So this is what the final product looks like:

33892587216_4d3c9460c3_b.jpg

The speakers I switched to are the Morel Vitrus 603s and they fit perfectly in the doors with only a tiny bit of sanding required for the tweeters on the a pillars. The tweeters fit fine but I had to remove some of the extra junk with a dremel.

The end product is phenomenal! The ability to change the timing on the sound projection makes it feel like the music is inside your head. The low and mid end bass is just what I was looking for and would be even better with a slightly more powerful 4 channel amp. I'm done with this setup though and think that anyone who wants to make this system really shine, the Bit Ten is a MUST. Good luck to those on their way to building a system, I wish I had done my setup this way from the start.

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
Thanks for the update. I'm waiting to install all the equipment I bought more than a year ago. Waiting mostly for a dash kit so I can add an aftermarket head unit. Now that those are available I'm hoping I can avoid all the fuss with sound processors.

OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the update. I'm waiting to install all the equipment I bought more than a year ago. Waiting mostly for a dash kit so I can add an aftermarket head unit. Now that those are available I'm hoping I can avoid all the fuss with sound processors.
I've wanted to keep her looking as stock as possible, otherwise I would have gone with the Tesla style screen that some of the folks on here are switching too. I really don't mind the headunit, I think my issue is with the quality of crafstmenship for whoever put these vehicles together. I have a pretty bad ground loop somewhere in the electrical system which is causing the feedback that I have in the speakers. The sound processor was able to get rid of some of it and I'm happy with the end result. If you don't already have the static issue I'm having, then you're already light-years ahead :)

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
I've wanted to keep her looking as stock as possible, otherwise I would have gone with the Tesla style screen that some of the folks on here are switching too. I really don't mind the headunit, I think my issue is with the quality of crafstmenship for whoever put these vehicles together. I have a pretty bad ground loop somewhere in the electrical system which is causing the feedback that I have in the speakers. The sound processor was able to get rid of some of it and I'm happy with the end result. If you don't already have the static issue I'm having, then you're already light-years ahead :)
Oh, did you have the static before the upgrades? I don't have any hissing/static and everything's still stock.

OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, did you have the static before the upgrades? I don't have any hissing/static and everything's still stock.
ya, unfortunately. It was rather faint from the door speakers but after amplifying them and installing higher-end speakers, its much more pronounced. When you start your car up with the music turned off, check and see if there's any "noise" coming from the speakers after the headunit starts up. I haven't sat in any GT350's so i can't speaker to them in general. You'll be lucky if you dont have it though
Sponsored