Sponsored

Is there a Tune for the AEM Brute Force Intake?

MustangDominance

Professional Fast guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Mustang
I currently have it and I've heard that there is no tune for it. Am I wrong? And if I'm not, why is there no tune for it?

I spent money on this CAI and I'd like it to benefit from the tuner and tuning services just like the other intakes. It's not much different than some of the others, so why do those have tunes?
Sponsored

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I currently have it and I've heard that there is no tune for it. Am I wrong? And if I'm not, why is there no tune for it?

I spent money on this CAI and I'd like it to benefit from the tuner and tuning services just like the other intakes. It's not much different than some of the others, so why do those have tunes?
Tunes arnt specific to certain air intakes, a tune on an AEM air intake will likely be very similar to a tune on a K&N intake. You can use a tune with this intake but you need to get the tune from a third party like MPT or BAMA. There are intake companies and there are tuning companies and sometimes there are companies that do both and sell a bundle deal. I believe AEM does not sell tunes so you'd need to find one from another company along with a handheld tuner. I'm sure there are others on here with more experience with tunes so I will let them chime in as well.

OP
OP
MustangDominance

MustangDominance

Professional Fast guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Mustang
Tunes arnt specific to certain air intakes, a tune on an AEM air intake will likely be very similar to a tune on a K&N intake. You can use a tune with this intake but you need to get the tune from a third party like MPT or BAMA. There are intake companies and there are tuning companies and sometimes there are companies that do both and sell a bundle deal. I believe AEM does not sell tunes so you'd need to find one from another company along with a handheld tuner. I'm sure there are others on here with more experience with tunes so I will let them chime in as well.
I have an unleashed tune, when I installed it and told Torrie he said "no change required." Whereas if I put an airraid in, there would be a revised tune.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I have an unleashed tune, when I installed it and told Torrie he said "no change required." Whereas if I put an airraid in, there would be a revised tune.
Now THAT is odd, I'm interested so let me look at these two intakes quickly.

*edit* I just checked both intakes out and I don't see why one would need a change and one wouldn't? They both allow more air into the engine so unless the airaid is a lot less restrictive than the AEM, one would think they both would need the tune updated.

OP
OP
MustangDominance

MustangDominance

Professional Fast guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Mustang
Now THAT is odd, I'm interested so let me look at these two intakes quickly.
On American muscle you'll notice the gains underneath the CAI and it says "with tune". The brute force has no mention of such thing. Only base, non tuned horsepower numbers.

Sponsored

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
On American muscle you'll notice the gains underneath the CAI and it says "with tune". The brute force has no mention of such thing. Only base, non tuned horsepower numbers.
I'm pretty sure those are just some marketing tricks done by the air filter maker. Seriously, it's just a cone filter plus a tube, what much difference can they make apart from sound? I can be convinced there is a tune difference switching from a paper panel filter to a cone filter. Different tunes for different cone filters? Nah I bet data noise factor has a larger difference.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
You'll be surprised, anything that potentially changes fueling can affect the tune. Perhaps not enough to cause safety issues with just a mere intake swap but it is always best to send your tuner a datalog to make sure everything is optimized. Vdyno is a good way to see if/what any changes were made by each mod from datalog to datalog (even if it's not entirely accurate) versus guessing.

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
The reason that some intake are tune require and some are not (Most are not) is simply due to the size of the maf housing. Only Intakes with Bigger MAF Housing sizes over stock require a recalibration to have the maf read properly and allow for the extra air around it otherwise you will throw a lean code. Anyone who tells you that you need a reflash from just a no tune required intake is either pulling your leg or misinformed. Nothing in our tunes changes from a "stock like cold air intake" I can tell you first hand

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
The reason that some intake are tune require and some are not (Most are not) is simply due to the size of the maf housing. Only Intakes with Bigger MAF Housing sizes over stock require a recalibration to have the maf read properly and allow for the extra air around it otherwise you will throw a lean code. Anyone who tells you that you need a reflash from just a no tune required intake is either pulling your leg or misinformed. Nothing in our tunes changes from a "stock like cold air intake" I can tell you first hand
If no changes are made in fueling for intake swaps that just further proves that most aftermarket intakes do little to nothing. :thumbsup:

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If no changes are made in fueling for intake swaps that just further proves that most aftermarket intakes do little to nothing. :thumbsup:
Yes i agree thats why we only sell certain ones on our site lol Only intakes with a bigger maf housing will truly give you performance gains. Some of the aftermarket might be a little less restrictive and sound better, but it is not changing your fueling maps or going to show anything substantial on the dyno.

Sponsored

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I think Phil was talking about inaccurate MAF reading due to changed MAF Housing size. Airflow rate can still be increased by a less restrictive intake filter, and the ECU adapts the fuel rate to the increased airflow, and then you have more power as long as the airflow rate measurement is correct .
Since we have professional tuners here, correct me if I'm wrong.

I did a quick search and found a nice tutorial:
http://blog.edgeautosport.com/stock-maf-vs-big-maf-housing

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Yes i agree thats why we only sell certain ones on our site lol Only intakes with a bigger maf housing will truly give you performance gains. Some of the aftermarket might be a little less restrictive and sound better, but it is not changing your fueling maps or going to show anything substantial on the dyno.
Speaking of intakes you sell, do you guys do any adjustments for the JLT intake?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Phil was talking about inaccurate MAF reading due to changed MAF Housing size. Airflow rate can still be increased by a less restrictive intake filter, and the ECU adapts the fuel rate to the increased airflow, and then you have more power as long as the airflow rate measurement is correct .
Since we have professional tuners here, correct me if I'm wrong.

I did a quick search and found a nice tutorial:
http://blog.edgeautosport.com/stock-maf-vs-big-maf-housing
Correct and I agree.

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of intakes you sell, do you guys do any adjustments for the JLT intake?
No it is the same tune with or without the intake. As others have said also, With these newer cars the ecu is self adaptive and can make any final adjustments it may need within reason
Sponsored