Sponsored

engine bay heat extraction

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
db252 and this guy above...have you guys noticed any temp differences with those cut up like that? Seems like something easy to do and can still fully retain OEM functionality...but if it doesn't do much (besides reduce hood lift) then it's probably not worth my effort as I'm going for purely functional purposes.
Just to start, reducing lift is a 'functional' purpose and a benefit. I don't have any way to measure a temp change within the engine compartment both before or after the mod but with increased openings, it is unavoidable to have air flow not increase out the vents therefore remove more trapped heat. Having a more open grill than stock also changes these factors as more air in increases pressure helping to push out more air. Obviously some of the designs above and aftermarket hoods will allow and produce even better benefits. In regards to just mine, I have no doubt lift is reduced due to better air exiting which takes more heat with it. My hood no longer lifts at higher speeds on the track up to 140.
Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Just to start, reducing lift is a 'functional' purpose and a benefit. I don't have any way to measure a temp change within the engine compartment both before or after the mod but with increased openings, it is unavoidable to have air flow not increase out the vents therefore remove more trapped heat. Having a more open grill than stock also changes these factors as more air in increases pressure helping to push out more air. Obviously some of the designs above and aftermarket hoods will allow and produce even better benefits. In regards to just mine, I have no doubt lift is reduced due to better air exiting which takes more heat with it. My hood no longer lifts at higher speeds on the track up to 140.
I didn't get to test mine out yet, but my theory was the same as you described. Bigger vents, . . . . more chance for heat to get out, and reduce hood flutter at higher speeds (which I noticed). I'm not much of a "bling" type of guy, so just about everything I do to this thing has a purpose in mind. Plus I just like to try some new things. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. You won't know until you try.

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, ProCharged
On newer S550s, I'd also double check that the hoods are properly secured and aligned correctly. We had one new S550 come in from a local dealership and the pass side hood mounting bolts were only finger tight and the bump adjustments were uneven. I didn't drive it before we took it in , but that car's hood would have been all over the place @75mph

H1shawn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY
This is one of my favorite posts on the whole forum, and led me to buy the Anderson Composites Roush styled heat extractors for my AC cowl hood. It made a significant difference in hood shake.

If you are thinking about it, do it.

tienlo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black Manual GT, S2000, 350z, MT-03
Velox hood louvers

Hi, just wanted to mention that I recently had Velox hood louvers installed, with the help of Eastside Automotive. These are vents made for the hood that doesn't come with any vents (Australian delivered car).
They're incredibly well engineered, even curved perfectly to fit the curve of the hood. Good instructions and really helpful stickers to assist with placement and cutting.
Hope you like the pics :)
IMG_20170405_011104_624~01.jpg
FB_IMG_1491487600893~01~01.jpg
FB_IMG_1491487539684~01.jpg

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Wow those are huge and look really.

DrDane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT A6 400A 3.55
Just did my Scott Drake vents, cut out the hood like above. Works nice, Can feel the het coming out when you stop. Might have dropped IAT a degree or two as well.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
sub'd

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Trust me the hood still lifts. I got it on my gopro this weekend. Ill upload a video to show how much. Its insane.

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Trust me the hood still lifts. I got it on my gopro this weekend. Ill upload a video to show how much. Its insane.
No doubt and we just saw it for ourselves. Shawn and I just finished up at Thunderhill raceway and still saw the lift albeit not as bad as before. He also showed me the video you sent him of your car blasting down the roadway. Ultimately anyone would need as much of a air exit as an air intake coming through. I'm good for now.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No doubt and we just saw it for ourselves. Shawn and I just finished up at Thunderhill raceway and still saw the lift albeit not as bad as before. He also showed me the video you sent him of your car blasting down the roadway. Ultimately anyone would need as much of a air exit as an air intake coming through. I'm good for now.
Yea that blast cost me a short block. Lol

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I got the hood lift on my GoPro this weekend. Here are screenshots from 0mph, 60mph and 140mph. This is insane! Not too sure what we can really do about this? I have full grill delete, no hood liner or the molding in the back, full mesh extractors and I completely cut out the stock vent opening.

Link to video. Its a lil long but if you watch it all you can see some of the other cars out there.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Last edited:

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
So I got the hood lift on my GoPro this weekend. Here are screenshots from 0mph, 60mph and 140mph. This is insane! Not too sure what we can really do about this? I have full grill delete, no hood liner or the molding in the back, full mesh extractors and I completely cut out the stock vent opening.

I'm uploading the video now. Ill edit this post with the link.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg
Wow that is crazy that you are seeing that much hood lift at speed. Mine must be doing the same but at 140 I'm busy slamming gears and watching the road to notice.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow that is crazy that you are seeing that much hood lift at speed. Mine must be doing the same but at 140 I'm busy slamming gears and watching the road to notice.
I always saw it do the flutter or shake but until I watched this vid I had no idea.
Sponsored