Sponsored

engine bay heat extraction

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
what is everyone with FI doing to lower the temps under the hood? saw the roush vents that can take the place of the ones on PP hoods but most reviews said they are basically just for looks. any good suggestions? car is 15 GT with PP and stage 2 roush blower. thanks :cheers:
Sponsored

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I'm still naturally aspirated for now but the RTR upper and lower grills made a significant difference in my IATs in the West Texas heat.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I did a grill delete with mesh and a 170 tstat. Worked wonders.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
While I changed to the Roush vents, they do little to no change from the stock setup. However, I gutted the Roush vents and opened up my hood passage as well. My first goal was to help elimate lift but heat is also extracted at a much better rate. I no longer get hood lift at the track and this is speeds up to 140mph. Rain or washing the car is a non issue since my air box is closed on the left and nothing is affected on the right. I also have a grill that allows full flow of air across it.

Before adding edge trim.

Trim protection added.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
[MENTION=20657]db252[/MENTION]

Nice work. I may bust out my grinder and do the same.

Sponsored

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
A grill delete will let more air get to the radiator, but it will also lead to higher static underhood pressure. The stock grill is designed to flow enough to cool while minimizing pressure drag. Realistically, a grill delete or open mesh won't significantly impact you, unless youre running airstrips where aero is effective. If budget allows, Tiger Racing, Trufiber, and Anderson Composites each have extractor hoods. Theyll improve aero and radiator flow by venting underhood air.

Question for the mods:
I feel like ive seen a couple threads in this section where the OP (no offense) has FI but is asking a general question that applies to all owners. What makes a thread FI specific? Here, for example, the question is about reducing temps through body mods, which seems more body/cosmetic to me. If it was about excessive temps on roush/vmp cars I would have no questions. Sorry to detract cdq85.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
[MENTION=20657]db252[/MENTION]

Nice work. I may bust out my grinder and do the same.
Thanks. It was pretty easy to do and the results are exceptional. From the outside it doesn't look any different unless you are looking for it.

5.O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I've been thinking about heat extraction for a while and it's nice to see what others doing

so I can see what works and looks best for me.

OP
OP

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
Question for the mods:
I feel like ive seen a couple threads in this section where the OP (no offense) has FI but is asking a general question that applies to all owners. What makes a thread FI specific? Here, for example, the question is about reducing temps through body mods, which seems more body/cosmetic to me. If it was about excessive temps on roush/vmp cars I would have no questions. Sorry to detract cdq85.
No offense taken. I guess I was just looking for creative solutions for anyone with FI in general. Obviously, IAT's and heatsoak are much more of a concern than someone who is NA so that is why I posted it in the FI section. I just threw the roush extractors out there as an example but the answer doesn't have to be only cosmetic fixes as other answers could be larger intercoolers, thermostats,etc.

OP
OP

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
oh and [MENTION=20657]db252[/MENTION] , i also agree that is a great job with those. not sure i want to cut the hood but who knows.

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
oh and [MENTION=20657]db252[/MENTION] , i also agree that is a great job with those. not sure i want to cut the hood but who knows.
Yeah I wasn't sure either but I knew it wouldn't screw anything up and it was a first line attempt before switching entire hoods. Already having the Roush vents and a dremel made this a no cost operation and the results are benefiting. I wish I could measure the heat and pressure release but bottom line, it's working.

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
Id probably go through 3 pairs of pants making cuts to a metal body panel.

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
what is everyone with FI doing to lower the temps under the hood? saw the roush vents that can take the place of the ones on PP hoods but most reviews said they are basically just for looks. any good suggestions? car is 15 GT with PP and stage 2 roush blower. thanks :cheers:
I installed a Roush front bumper on my car.. Helped with the under hood temp and I love the look.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I wonder if you could modify the roush hood scoop or any kind of hood scoop to be open on the back and then cut a hole in the hood to allow heat to be pulled out from the back right above the supercharger.
Sponsored