Sponsored

Tow Hooks - ZL1 Version

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I had no problem with the grill, the tow hook mount aligns perfectly with the grill pattern and no mounting components came close to the grill surface. I didn't even need to use the supplied drill to clear any flash on the grill.
Sponsored

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
This is a bitch to install. I did my MGW shifter in far less time than it's taken me thus far, and I still have a ways to go...

I can't get the bumper off, but I can get it to hang enough that I can access the mounting points for the receiver. I now have the receiver in place, but have to buy a 1/2 hex to get the bolt torqued adequately. I'm not looking forward to putting the bumper back in place to find the correct grill alignment. I'm not sure if I'll be able to access the 13mm nuts to tighten them.

I popped the temperature sensor off but really can't see it. Hopefully I can figure out how to reinsert it. The probe points to the passenger side, correct?

I usually like wrenching, but this sucks.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I have just received my front and rear ZL1 titanium tow hooks. I'm not happy with the mounts themselves. The quality and workmanship are poor to say the least. The tow hook rings are nice though.
On the front mount I do not trust 2 tiny bolts and nuts supporting the weight of the car when being towed, also they use five 1/4-20 allen cap screws that are just randomly placed without any accuracy of placement. I can tell this thing will flex and crack the grille honeycomb. To insert the tow hook ring you have to file or sand the honeycomb opening to screw the hook ring into the receiver. Any flexing of the hook will put stress on the grille and stress it.
On the rear hook receiver it's a 3/8" thick steel flat bar stock with a piece of angle iron welded to it and a 5/8" coupler nut welded to the bar stock. Both have Poor weld quality. I don't understand why they didn't just make it from a one piece of 3/8" thick steel plate bent on a press break.
I'm going to machine my own or see how the quality of the ford performance hooks are when they arrive Tuesday. From the pics I seen of the FP hooks the rear hook quality looks poor also.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Freaking finally... but does this look right you folks? Seems to stick out farther than what I've seen in pictures.

I was able to position the coupler such that no trimming of the grill was required. The only downside to that is the temperature sensor would no longer fit above the coupler. I ended up moving the temperature sensor to another location and securing it with heavy duty outdoor 3M double sided tape. I'll see how it holds up with the heat of the engine and Texas summers.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Glad to see you finished OK, that amount of projection is exactly where I have mine mounted. I mounted my temperature sensor to the plastic cover above where it was originally mounted. Just drilled 2 new holes in the plastic about 1 inch offset from the hook body. It all works great.

Sponsored

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
That's right. You have the long tow hook shaft, which screws in all the way to the stop. There is a short shaft as well, which doesn't stick out as far, but which also doesn't screw in all the way, so with the short one you need to cut off a small bolt to create a positive stop for it.

If the double-sided tape doesn't work for the temperature sensor, the best option is to mount it on top of the crossbar, in the same holes, without the angled spacer, instead of hanging below it like it does in the stock position. No additional holes needed.

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Ill need tow hooks as well- but this sounds like a royal PITA! How many shop hours are folks getting hit with for front/rear?

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I had a body shop do mine - looks awesome. I noticed traffic getting out of my way in the left lane all of a sudden :lol:

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Ill need tow hooks as well- but this sounds like a royal PITA! How many shop hours are folks getting hit with for front/rear?
I'm glad I did it myself, because I know it was done right (all fasteners torqued to actual spec), but it sucked.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
For those that do this mod in the future, just remove the temperature sensor from the mounting bracket, remove the mounting bracket entirely, and install the temp sensor right where the mounting bracket was. Put this little bracket in the box with other items you have removed.
IMG_0308.jpg

Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I have just received my front and rear ZL1 titanium tow hooks. I'm not happy with the mounts themselves. The quality and workmanship are poor to say the least. The tow hook rings are nice though.
On the front mount I do not trust 2 tiny bolts and nuts supporting the weight of the car when being towed, also they use five 1/4-20 allen cap screws that are just randomly placed without any accuracy of placement. I can tell this thing will flex and crack the grille honeycomb. To insert the tow hook ring you have to file or sand the honeycomb opening to screw the hook ring into the receiver. Any flexing of the hook will put stress on the grille and stress it.
On the rear hook receiver it's a 3/8" thick steel flat bar stock with a piece of angle iron welded to it and a 5/8" coupler nut welded to the bar stock. Both have Poor weld quality. I don't understand why they didn't just make it from a one piece of 3/8" thick steel plate bent on a press break.
I'm going to machine my own or see how the quality of the ford performance hooks are when they arrive Tuesday. From the pics I seen of the FP hooks the rear hook quality looks poor also.
Have you seen the version by Rocket Science Racing?

koopatroopa781

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue
It isn't actually that bad. I think it took me about 2.5 hours, that's including reading the crappy instructions, playing with my kid, and posting to Facebook. I went from under the car, and removed my air splitter and belly pan. I would recommend doing it yourself, you kind of appreciate the car a little more. You get to see the brake ducts, and how the air funnels through the various areas of the car.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Any tips on how to remove the front bumper? Id like to install these but dont want to damage my paint.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Any tips on how to remove the front bumper? Id like to install these but dont want to damage my paint.
No need to remove the front bumper. Only the front splitter and belly pan

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hmm lol well thats a tip:-D.

You have to remove the bumper for the rear hook right?
Sponsored