Sponsored

73mm bbk throttle body upgrade!

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
Jon 3.7- As FUSE stated there is a Customer Service Program 16B32, which states-
"On your vehicle, the electric throttle body may develop contamination and result in the vehicle entering a protective low-speed mode......"
The letter advises to bring car or set up an appointment to get the TB replaced at no charge.
I was thinking I could buy the BBK 73MM unit and have Ford/dealer rereimburse me for the defective part, to offset my costs.
I have a 2016 V6
ive read that on some of the bbk reviews when i was looking at the product about the reimbursement but to me itll be too much of a hassle im a just upgrade it to that and be happy
Sponsored

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
did MPT have to make changes to your tune after you added the BBK

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
[MENTION=21409]markbento[/MENTION]

I actually emailed MPT about changing the TB and I was told that no changes would be made. An updated tune would only be required if there are issues having the BBK TB installed.

This was the email from MPT about BBK TB:

You should be fine. The two combined shouldn’t cause any issues. If it idles weird or responds poorly at low throttle, we can look into updating your tune for you. However, an update isn’t 100% necessary. If drivability isn’t good after the install of the throttle body, purchase a tune update. Do keep in mind that the update for the TB will not provide any extra power.

Duane Head
Customer Service Rep
#Edit: Forgot to add that I asked MPT about adding BBK TB to my JLT CAI.

Last edited:

Sponsored

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Tell me how the BBK TB feels. Right now I am on the fence about getting it.
I had one on my 2012 with the manual trans and it made a lot of difference in drivability. In cruise control it could pull any hill around here, which it couldn't do before the swap. In town there was a lot less need to be down shifting because of the mid range torque improvement. According to BBKs own dyno testing while there was a pretty good improvement in the mid range there was very little at high RPMs. When people that are selling high performance stuff talk they always talk about gains under the curve on their dyno sheets. And the throttle body has it from 2000 to 4000 RPMs which makes your car a lot more fun to drive. Since you don't spend much time in that RPM range in running the quarter mile, don't expect much improvement in your ETs. This is the reason the reason the guys that are only interested in WOT are always putting the BBK down. These observations are from driving a manual trans car, I'm not sure how much you would notice it with an automatic. Any opinions from someone with one in an automatic car.

Last edited:

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Mine should show up soon...ill give my feedback but i like what your saying...

Gurgles

Gurcules
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gur
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Oxford White
Im thinking of getting the bbk throttle body, but what is the point of the throttle body spacer?

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Nothing lol. Dont waste your money. Especially if your going to get the bbk tb. Most spacers arnt as big as the bbk....so youd just be restricting airflow

Sponsored

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Im thinking of getting the bbk throttle body, but what is the point of the throttle body spacer?
The point of a spacer is to increase the interior volume of the intake manifold, which in turn in some cases can increase the torque. The small size of our throttle body spacer is unlikely to provide little if any measurable increase. The little spiral fin thingies are more of a marketing thing than anything else I believe. I had one on my car, not for horsepower but for mileage cause most people who reviewed them did report an increase. Well mine didn't get any worse but no better either. If you want to try one yourself I'll give you mine for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested so we can keep this out of the thread.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
The point of a spacer is to increase the interior volume of the intake manifold, which in turn in some cases can increase the torque. The small size of our throttle body spacer is unlikely to provide little if any measurable increase. The little spiral fin thingies are more of a marketing thing than anything else I believe. I had one on my car, not for horsepower but for mileage cause most people who reviewed them did report an increase. Well mine didn't get any worse but no better either. If you want to try one yourself I'll give you mine for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested so we can keep this out of the thread.
Back in the TBI and Carburated days adding spacers (or in some cases stacking gaskets) made a big difference you can feel. They worked on those setups since you are moving the injector (for TBI) and the jet(s) (for carburated) further away thus promoting better fuel atomization. However with port injection and direct injection you are just merely adding plenum volume. Unfortunately the plenum volume you're adding with a spacer is minuscule and does absolutely nothing to add performance since its only a few inches. A lot of times these spacers also introduce unwanted turbulence. There are better mods that actually do add performance for the money.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Put my bbk tb on. Noticable gains under the curve and at part throttle. Car feels really strong and throttle is even peppier on response...i can also tell its responding quicker because the power is instantly there when speed shifting rather than a brief moment of stagnent power like before

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
That's in line with the posts about the BBK TB. Sounds good but I think I'll wait like the others until my TB goes bad to get one.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Well I just jumped on the bandwagon and got a TB of my own! The difference? I will be adapting a stock GT TB for use on our 3.7's... I could not bring myself to spend $400+ on just a throttle body. The GT TB's can be bought on ebay for around $50!!

It will not be a direct bolt on but a simple adapter plate should be all that's needed to make it work. I will keep you guys updated on my progress!
Sponsored