Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Have to redo mine...
Yours is really bad in that the top lip of the splitter is sitting below tabs that stick out on the fascia. I'll have pictures later. I'm recombobulating mine right now. I also don't see screw tips where I think there should be. You might have had a really lazy tech install yours, i.e. he didn't use all the fasteners.

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
As mentioned previously the service department where I bought my car (Lithia Ford of Fresno) decided to do a half-assed job of installing my splitter.

[ame]

Here's what it looked like this morning...

I followed the instructions in the Ford Service installation video in reverse to remove the long center piece of the splitter.

The splitter has a ~1/4 inch tab on it that must be seated in the associated hole on the facia to avoid droopage.

Reinstall following the instructions in the Ford Service video.

All better...

Tools you'll need...

(7mm socket for M4.2 screws, torx bit of unknown size - you'll figure it out.)

Here's some other information that might help you if you need to do this.

- This entire procedure can be done with the car on the ground (how I did it). You'll just be laying on your side a lot and you may get a sore neck. If you have a jack, chocks and jack stands it might be easier to raise up the front of the car a bit.

- Apparently, after making the video, Ford replaced the majority of the M6x15 hex head screws you see in the video, and that are used near the belly pan, with torx head screws.

- The lazy d'bag tech who installed my splitter did not follow the instructions when installing the outer wings either. For instance, he did not install the half-moon clips. However, after careful inspection I decided that the other fasteners should keep them securely in place. Be sure to take a look at yours when you have the center piece off.

- Before putting the splitter back in place ensure that all the j-clips are positioned and seated correctly. I checked them by using a screw of the appropriate size to thread in to them slighly and then back out.

- The hardest part of this operation is dealing with the "45 degree" M4.2x25 screws. It's somewhat difficult to get the socket on the screw head, especially with the car on the ground and you're "going blind". I found that using the 1/4" nut driver with a 7mm socket on it worked best. While driving in the two center screws be sure to push the splitter UP and IN, making sure the 1/4 inch tab near the center stays in its hole.

- I didn't use a torque wrench. I just hand tightened all the screws and then gave them an extra turn or two. By feel essentially.

That's about it. If you have any questions post them here and I'll try to answer them. I also have some other photos of the fascia and splitter. Post up here if you want to see anything else.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Good job!

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
I just installed my splitter today with the help of a friend. We are both capable of doing this work and I have to say its a bit tricky. We loaded the Ford video on his laptop and followed it through step by step. I can see how a person might not get the splitter tight to the mounting area where the use of the dead blow and shop rag is used. There is one tab that has to go up to get in its locating hole that is a bit tricky to get there. And there were screws missing from the fastener kit provided in the splitter box...nice job Ford! Oh and also there are 2 holes we didn't use that we could have if there were 2 more attachment clips provided. Its not a big deal because there are plenty attachment points along the bottom holding the splitter to the under tray. And we have a lift so were working on it at a nice comfortable height. Working on the ground would with the car up in the front would have been even tougher.

We also adjusted the parking brake cable that was very loose. Also a bit tricky since space is so limited by the exhaust being in the way. As Ed Chyna on Wheeler Dealers would day...a fiddley bit...and it was.

ddub68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
Any post correction pictures? Would like to compare to mine.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
It'd be nice if those last 3 pics worked :eek:

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mm, nope.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Bingo!

It's hard to see because of lighting, but is the top of the splitter 100% flush with the fascia now?

ddub68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
Can see them now. It's looks like mine. An even gap across. I didn't know if it was supposed to be flush. Guessing not.
Sponsored