Which Halfshafts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
curious to know why you guys in the US are so keen on changing drive shafts.
are US drive shafts historically not good quality or is it a vanity thing ?
this just does not happen in Europe
ive had loads of European ( ie Porsche, lambo, Ferrari ) sportscars and had them extensively upgraded but never have had to change drive shafts
same on impreza's or skylines

Americans do more drag racing than Europeans and drag racing puts a huge amount of shock load on the drivetrain.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
United States
Americans do more drag racing than Europeans and drag racing puts a huge amount of shock load on the drivetrain.
Yes and some of the cars he listed dont have a driveshaft.You also have to take into account the price on those cars are over double, leaves more money for beefier componets.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Just to share, I have the FRPP Shafts in my 2015.

We have been using G-Force for a long time in our personal cars, as well as using them for private label, and selling them to thousands of customers over the years.

I cannot say which is better, per say, but I can tell you that the FRPP Halfshafts for these cars are extremely nice. I believe that FRPP made the right choice, in choosing G-Force for this specific part. Also keep in mind, FRPP doesn't just pick someone and start selling parts. They test them extensively, as you can imagine being affiliated with FoMoCo.

Here are some shots showing the difference:

We have been designing, engineering, and offer parts for IRS cars since 2004 - so we have a good grip (literally) of what is good, bad, or not needed on most IRS platforms (domestic). The halfshafts for these S550's is a must if racing on a sticky tire, IMO, and the G-Force Shafts have met and exceeded our expectations in terms of design and quality.

I don't think you can go "wrong" with whatever path you choose - but I cannot help but favor the G-Force/FRPP Product due to our experience with them on our personal test cars.

Good luck!

OP
OP
evo8904

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Thanks for everyones input. It was a tough decision but if you are going to do something, go all in. I ordered the Ford Racing shafts this morning. :headbang:

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
I am certain you will be happy with your choice.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
United States
I will be posting some info on how the DSS parts are built and what sets them apart.DSS uses 300m on there parts,not the cheaper , weaker 4340 its not strong enough for todays IRS cars. Stay tuned and look for our post with some facts that will intrest you

Gforce Engineering

Ford Racing supplier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Gforce1320.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Musatang
We make the half shafts for Ford Racing.
Ford came to us last year and the PRI show after hearing about our innovative designs and impressive track record on our parts holding up to severe punishment.
Our Lifetime warranty was what really caught their eye. After all, if your gonna offer a Lifetime warranty you know your doing something right.

We started working with Ford Racing almost a full year ago in testing and evaluating what would work best on the Mustang platform.
We spent numerous weekends at the race track helping Ford test our axles making 100's of launches, some of these launches and passes where the very same ones shown in the videos that Ford released.
We would tear down the Halfshafts after every 100th or so pass to inspect and after close to 300 passes they still looked brand new!
To date, nobody has ever broke a Gforce Level 5 Outlaw Half Shaft, ever!

Buying Ford Racing Halfshafts your getting the baddest, strongest axles on the planet hands down. Plus your getting 2 great companies that will stand behind these products, Ford Racing and Gforce Engineering.

What makes our half shafts stand out is how they are made and the materials we use.
The Ford Racing half shafts that we make are what's known as our Level 5 Outlaw series.
The Outlaw series is also what we supply with our 9" kits.
The Outlaw series shafts are 31 spline and are the biggest on the market, larger then 28 or 30 spline.
We didn't stop there, our Outlaw series uses our own designed and manufactured cv center stars and components that you cant buy anywhere but from Gforce.

The Ford Racing Halfshafts are exclusively available through Ford Racing though so please contact your favorite Ford Racing dealer or Ford Racing directly.

Here is a comparison showing the difference between our Outlaw cv center star and an off the shelf star that you will get other places.

OP
OP
evo8904

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
We make the half shafts for Ford Racing.
Ford came to us last year and the PRI show after hearing about our innovative designs and impressive track record on our parts holding up to severe punishment.
Our Lifetime warranty was what really caught their eye. After all, if your gonna offer a Lifetime warranty you know your doing something right.

We started working with Ford Racing almost a full year ago in testing and evaluating what would work best on the Mustang platform.
We spent numerous weekends at the race track helping Ford test our axles making 100's of launches, some of these launches and passes where the very same ones shown in the videos that Ford released.
We would tear down the Halfshafts after every 100th or so pass to inspect and after close to 300 passes they still looked brand new!
To date, nobody has ever broke a Gforce Level 5 Outlaw Half Shaft, ever!

Buying Ford Racing Halfshafts your getting the baddest, strongest axles on the planet hands down. Plus your getting 2 great companies that will stand behind these products, Ford Racing and Gforce Engineering.

What makes our half shafts stand out is how they are made and the materials we use.
The Ford Racing half shafts that we make are what's known as our Level 5 Outlaw series.
The Outlaw series is also what we supply with our 9" kits.
The Outlaw series shafts are 31 spline and are the biggest on the market, larger then 28 or 30 spline.
We didn't stop there, our Outlaw series uses our own designed and manufactured cv center stars and components that you cant buy anywhere but from Gforce.

The Ford Racing Halfshafts are exclusively available through Ford Racing though so please contact your favorite Ford Racing dealer or Ford Racing directly.

Here is a comparison showing the difference between our Outlaw cv center star and an off the shelf star that you will get other places.

I can't wait to get these on my car!

Driveshaft Shop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1931 Ford
Guess it would not be much of a Poll with out all the facts, here is what makes the DSS parts stand apart

300M spline parts through out, time will tell and you will see a difference. The 800hp axles (made because most will not see more then this) are done with the Anti-wheel hop design like the RTR prototypes shown below. The 1400Hp ones are both the same size and done like this for a reason.

It’s been a long time since we have seen the Mustang with an IRS under it. Gone are the days when they used a Thunderbird V6 IRS suspension and put them under 400HP Cobras. The 2015 Mustang seems to have a decent differential under it. Rumor has it the diff is a "Super 8.8" (not sure what that means but we like the sound of it) and one of the best improvements I have seen is the introduction to a rolled formed wheel bearing. As most know the 03-04 Cobra had the same wheel bearing and spline size as the 6 cylinder Thunderbird, and after putting any HP into them the spline and bearing would break. We used custom hubs to stop the spline breakage but still the wheel bearing was an issue. Well say goodbye to both issues, as the new Mustang has a full 32 spline going into the hub and a beefy 34 spline into the diff, up from the 31 spline of yesteryear.

So what did DSS do to make this set of axles the best option available?
First we started with both the inner and outer splines going into the Hub and the Differential. We have been working with Ovaco steel out of Sweden and they came up with a material called Ovaco 300 that has been used by DSS in each and every IRS/CV driven world record breaking car to date (includes Mark Carlyle’s amazing Vette running 6.82 with a 1.1 60ft time and many other cars in the 7's ,8's and 9's also). So each spline is now made from this amazing 300m material (on both the 800HP and the 1400HP versions). We then made 4340 billet CV mounts and are using our proven 108mm CV with full 300m Billet Chromoly cages and races (with the 1400HP axles using the larger 30 spline bars). This along with Neo HPCC1 grease and with a higher durometer Neoprene boot, it will handle just about anything you can put to it. We didn’t stop there, the center bars we made are done with our CNC spline rolling process, which most people "in the know" will tell you that a rolled spline is significantly stronger than one that was done with material cut away because it is actually forging the spline and compressing the micro structure to make it even stronger. So what we have here is a proven design, and if that’s not enough so we also have taken the time to put end caps on the end of the CV housings in case they are ever taken apart (you guys pulling the diff will love this, as the 6 bolts come off and the diff will come out, try this with a stock axle) and the caps have blue RTV inside to ensure a perfect seal.
So here you have the best axles on the market for one of the coolest cars to come out of Detroit in a while, in stock and ready to ship…

Just a quick note, at this time 11/4/2014 we really do not know the limits of the stock axles or the diff, and the axles actually seem to be made from a decent material, but only time will tell. And let’s face it; most of you will not be happy with 400HP or 600HP so we have prepared these axles (and Drive shafts) ahead of time to be ready when you are. (funny as Bama broke there axle right after this was posted on our site and we brought the replacements to MIR for there record runs)

so we have both 800Hp axles and 1400Hp axles (Same design and size axles uses in the new Gymkhana 65 Mustang of Ken Block)

So when it comes to spending your hard earned money you want to ask, are the parts made from 300m or another material, is a very high grade grease like Neo HPCC1 grease being put into the CV ? are the boot covers and back cover sealed with RTV to ensure the grease will not come out. When we test parts it not average Hp cars, we actually 1st send them to a lab and get torsional reports and torque ratings (for a future conversation this is why the larger axles will not work as Anti hop) we then get this info and only after that the axles are then sent to some of the best shops in the world for real world testing in 6-7-8 second cars, only after all this is a part brought to market, take your time and do your research dont take our word for it. See what the DSS parts are in and why.....

(click here for a link to the Hoonicorn build info fro Hot Rod Magazine)

DSS prides itself on making the best axle, this is proven by not stating what it can do but showing proof in all record breaking cars from the fasted to the hardest (Mr. Block sure did test them and the car is still be punished)

Sponsored

Driveshaft Shop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1931 Ford
just in case you have not seen what Ken does to his Mustang

[ame]

Anthony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't respond
Not much force being exerted on axles just spinning 7k rpm constantly for 8min. Sustained rpm test for sure. But eh.

Better selling point imo, would be a car with your axles on a drag radial, wheel hopping like crazy or 4' up, 300' out.

I'm shopping the driveshafts and axles, so I appreciate you taking the time to post

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Good to see these companies online, informing the consumer of what they have to offer!

It is going to be fun seeing just how far these Vertical Link IRS systems, and "Super 8.8's" can go, that is certain!

Rest assured, I like to push limits and acquire good sixty foot times. I will be putting these FRPP pieces to the test, that is for sure!

Anthony, I have 17" MT Drag Radials on my car. I plan on hitting the tires really hard. ;)