OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
if you were ordering a new one tomorrow what if anything, would you change, colour, transmission, interior specs etc and what after market mods would you delete/change/add?
Thanks for your question. The way I currently use the car (daily transportation), there is very little I would change, if anything. The only thing I have in mind is the exhaust to get a deeper tone and a slight volume increase. Even then, I do like the stock exhaust and the effect of the sound tube, so making a change really would be about increasing enjoyment. I have not removed the clutch spring. After about a week of using it, I adjusted to the feel and don't see a problem when just doing normal or spirited street driving.

Optionwise, I find the 3.55 rear gear a good middle-of-the-road set-up, especially when used in combination with the driving modes. I definitely am glad I spent the money to get the Premium trim level, just for that alone.

I thought I'd miss having the Premiere interior trim, but given some of the troubles folks unfortunately have had with bubbling of the dash brows, I think it was a good trade-off. The saddle leather color combination which I absolutely love, was more important.

I thought I'd really miss having 19" wheels since I had them on my previous 2010. However, the optional 18" foundry wheels have made up for that. They are styled in such a way that makes them visually fill the wheel wells, they are easy to clean, and the tire expense is less. Also, the standard GT brakes really fill up the wheels, making them look quite strong. They stop fine for a daily driver. The standard Pirelli all-seasons have worked fine in my climate. I have driven them in wet and snow conditions with no issue, especially in combination with wet/snow mode.

Visually, there is nothing I would change. I am glad I have spoiler delete and the Premium trim rear bumper fascia set-up. I love seeing Magnetic when it's clean, but when it's dirty, it still looks passable. I do like select Roush body parts. However, I am not feeling compelled to make a change, since I am very satisfied with the stock appearance.

No need for me to change the stock ride height. It's lower than previous generation Mustangs, so I while I think some lowering still looks attractive, I don't feel compelled to do it.

Lastly, some of the other technology options (rain-sensing wipers, reverse back-up, Shaker Pro) are not missed. They are great, but I am good with what I have.

Sounds kind of boring, but this car is really, really good. It's quite a step-up from the previous generation in many ways. I had a period of time where I wanted to change the appearance (Roush spoiler, GT350 stripes) but I have calmed down a bit :)

In summary, I wouldn't really change a thing when it comes down to it. Let me know if you have further questions.
Sponsored

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
wouldn't change to colour to Guard or anything else?

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wouldn't change to colour to Guard or anything else?
Nope! Guard is an excellent, complex color, but still love Magnetic.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Year Later...

I ended today, the 1 year anniversary of this car's delivery, with 14,731 on the odometer. What a fun bunch of miles to drive this car.

I'll be getting the second oil change at 15,000 miles. The oil level was at the bottom hash mark about 500 miles ago, so I added about 1/6 of a quart of 5W-20 semi synthetic Motorcraft oil to bring the level between the hash marks.

I've had only two concerns, neither of which I have addressed with a service visit - the limited seat back cooling performance (documented extensively here) and several occasions where the engine shut off when the idle lowered and no error codes thrown (TSB 15-0128 fixes this).

I've not had brake noise, fit-and-finish concerns, or dissatisfaction with the stock configuration and features. I use this car as my daily driver, so it has seen winter driving conditions. I expect to keep this vehicle a long time, as a 50th anniversary model year Mustang only comes around once.

Also today, the southwestern MCA chapter based in the Detroit area published a "Member of the Month" article I wrote in their monthly newsletter. I discussed my '15 GT, as well as my '01 Bullitt, under the theme of turning 50, which I did this year like the Mustang did last year.

I am very grateful to have purchased this dream car. While I am attempting to add a new Shelby GT350 to the collection, the '15 GT has been a blast and keeps me from going too nuts trying to find one for a non-marked up price.

Looking forward to more years of fun, even if I don't personalize this car from stock.

Attachments

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got an updated oil analysis. Again, my car is a daily driver, no drag racing or high performance driving events/autocrosses. The oil is Motorcraft 5W-20. The oil life monitor said 23% remaining when I got the oil changed at 15,225 miles, which is just over 7500 miles from the first change.

The analysis showed I could go longer for the next change interval - up to 8500 miles. I only had to add a little between the first oil change and this one (1/6 qt).
Capture_BL_2015_GT_oil_analysis_15225_miles.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first issue...small, but annoying. The passenger side puddle light is showing a distortion. I just noticed it tonight. Knowing that the lenses are somewhat fragile, I don't wipe them down when washing and drying the car, so not sure how this developed.

Bummer.
20160216_214408_resize35.jpg
20160216_214446_resize35.jpg

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had the car in today for the right hand side puddle lamp and the backup camera having periodically gone off and distorting. A new puddle lamp will replace the failing one (part cost on the service ticket was $142.96).

I jiggled the cable connected to the camera after a buddy of mine told me he had his replaced because of worn wiring. Naturally, when at the dealership, the problem could not be replicated. I will be watching this one carefully to see if it happens again.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The right hand side puddle lamp was replaced under warranty. The backup camera is intermittently not working. I believe the dealership wrapped the cable with some tape to attempt straighten it, which seemed to help for awhile, but I will need to take it in again.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil Analysis at 22,509 miles

Here is the latest check on my oil. This is the third oil change. Motorcraft filters and 5W20 semi-synthetic oil has been used since the car was put in service. My next oil change could go 9000 miles, given my current usage. Again, my car is a daily driver and primarily used for transportation. No track work, no hard launches, etc.
Capture_BL_2015_GT_oil_analysis_22509_miles.JPG

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil Analysis at 30,267 Miles

It took me awhile after I got the sample, but I received my latest results on National Mustang Day (happy 53rd birthday). I added .3 qt to get the oil level back up.

So far, so good...again, my car is a daily driver that doesn't see race or severe maintenance conditions. Yes, it gets spun to redline occasionally, yes, it gets driven in almost all weather. Next oil change will be at 37,500 miles or so.
Capture_BL_2015_GT_oil_analysis_30267_miles.JPG

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
That is great news, Tony!

What oil and filter have you been using?

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil Analysis at 37,852 Miles

This is the fifth oil change. Motorcraft filters and 5W20 semi-synthetic oil has been used since the car was put in service. My car continues as a daily driver and is primarily used for transportation. No track work, no hard launches, etc. I do run it up toward redline occasionally though.
Capture_BL_2015_GT_oil_analysis_37852_miles.JPG

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Issue with Driver Side Speakers Sounding Distorted

I recently started noticing vibrating coming from the left speakers when some of the bass notes were stronger. After adjusting the balance and fade, I found I had an issue. See this post for more information.

Taking it in next week for diagnosis.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New Tires at 40,503 Miles

I probably squeezed 3000 miles more than I should have, as my 37,500 service check indicated they needed it then (down to wear bars, cracks in the grooves of the treads).

I bought a set of the stock Pirelli P-Zero Neros from another forum member back in 2014 when he was selling his wheels and tires. They were new.

Had I not bought them at a bargain price, I would have purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ instead.
Sponsored