Canister Oil filter on 2017 GT350R

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
FL-2062 is correct. I confirmed in my GT350 supplement (revised January 2017) and ordered from Autonation Ford White Bear Lake today. Apparently these filter cartridges are also used on the 2.7L EcoBoost from the F-150.

IMG_8144

IMG_8145
Do we know what size is the wrench nipple?
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
It's in the workshop manual now:

24w670l.jpg

Hmmm... what size is that hex nut? Here's another pic from underneat... but I'll also check the size when I get under the car again.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I went to the dealer yesterday to pick up a few other parts. My parts guy looked this up for me and said it's on back order but comes as a kit.
I had him order me one.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
So why cant we buy the complete oil filter adaptor housing and bolt it to the block to use the new style filter? I think its not needed but is an option for those that want to have this upgrade.

Spin on filters have been around for years and even with vibration I dont think its really a issue if installec and torqued properly. Hell look at the track attack cars they are not losing oil filters or engines due to filters falling off!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Hell look at the track attack cars they are not losing oil filters or engines due to filters falling off!
Believe it or not, this very scenario happened when I attended. Filter came loose, pressure overcame the uncompressed rubber gasket and suddenly blew past. Oil ended up making contact with the exhaust system and created quite a bit of smoke. Many thought it was on fire. The underside of the car was slathered in oil and was pulled from duty for the day.

Sponsored

CasualGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE & 2013 Focus ST
no it's not....Post #47

new filter p/n HR3Z-6881-A
You do see the photo from the updated GT350 supplement above showing the part number, right?

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Believe it or not, this very scenario happened when I attended. Filter came loose, pressure overcame the uncompressed rubber gasket and suddenly blew past. Oil ended up making contact with the exhaust system and created quite a bit of smoke. Many thought it was on fire. The underside of the car was slathered in oil and was pulled from duty for the day.
Well I stand corrected but I believe that would still fall under improper instalation as the most likely cause.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
From the first printing of the Shelby Supplemental Manual:

Note: Use only a Motorcraft FL-2069-ST oil filter for maximum performance, reliability and durability. This filter was specifically engineered for this vehicle .

If I recall correctly, the FL-2069-ST, was reported to be a high flow, performance filter. Seems this might not be the case w the canister filter element especially if it's shared across models...

Last edited:

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the first printing of the Shelby Supplemental Manual:

Note: Use only a Motorcraft FL-2069-ST oil filter for maximum performance, reliability and durability. This filter was specifically engineered for this vehicle .

If I recall correctly, the FL-2069-ST, was reported to be a high flow, performance filter. Seems this might not be the case w the canister filter element especially if it's shared across models...
Ford like many other manufactures tries to save money in manufacturing and engineering costs. In so if they can share parts across model lines then they save money, hence why they went to modular motors shared parts across several designs.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So why cant we buy the complete oil filter adaptor housing and bolt it to the block to use the new style filter? I think its not needed but is an option for those that want to have this upgrade.
I missed this up above. Unless the threaded filter fitting is simply not used on the latest oil filter adapter casting (allowing this new style canister to simply thread into place) you're right about probably being able to just swap oil filter adapters if the new filter is what you desire.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Ford like many other manufactures tries to save money in manufacturing and engineering costs. In so if they can share parts across model lines then they save money, hence why they went to modular motors shared parts across several designs.
Hey [MENTION=27061]Offboost[/MENTION],
Yes, I can understand that. Just find it ironic...

meares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4022
You do see the photo from the updated GT350 supplement above showing the part number, right?
the canisters are for cars built in the calendar yr 2017...

the p/n is HR3Z-6881-A

800.367.3788 that's the number for Ford Performance, call them; like i did so I wouldn't be confused with all the speculation on the board...

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
the canisters are for cars built in the calendar yr 2017...

the p/n is HR3Z-6881-A

800.367.3788 that's the number for Ford Performance, call them; like i did so I wouldn't be confused with all the speculation on the board...
That's the part number for the adapter, not the filter. :rolleyes:

meares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4022
That's the part number for the adapter, not the filter. :rolleyes:
if that's the case, i stand corrected. i asked the guy on the phone for the p/n for the filter and he looked it up and gave me that number. oh well....sorry to pick a fight !!