Sponsored

I want to go back to a s197, anybody feel the same?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I've got a buddy of mine that runs SpecMustang in the SCCA (ThunderHill, MRLS, etc)..and their cars are mandated to have the Cortex Racing Xtreme Grip Race series suspension.

However, the street version which is tamer is also readily available. I asked Cortex based on their results which is the superior handling car. They indicated that right now the S197 with a 4 link rear end, watts link, torque arm and other modifications is superior to the S550 with the same amount of work.

Take that as you will.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've got a few mods left for my '08 that have been sitting there waiting for me to finish up a couple of other projects.

What I'm really hoping can happen is that I get to run against either an EB or sixxer S550 at a track day just to see where I stand after this long, strange trip.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
However, the street version which is tamer is also readily available. I asked Cortex based on their results which is the superior handling car. They indicated that right now the S197 with a 4 link rear end, watts link, torque arm and other modifications is superior to the S550 with the same amount of work.
Which is it? Can't be both and have a suspension that actually . . . moves without trying to tear itself loose from the rest of the car.

Be like riding a jackhammer over any bad road.

Norm

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
.... I asked Cortex based on their results which is the superior handling car. They indicated that right now the S197 with a 4 link rear end, watts link, torque arm and other modifications is superior to the S550 with the same amount of work.
Interesting...but I think we have to assume that this is more due to 12 years of development with the S197 rather than any shortcoming of the S550, no?

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Interesting...but I think we have to assume that this is more due to 12 years of development with the S197 rather than any shortcoming of the S550, no?
They didn't go much into detail..privacy reasons I'm guessing.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
My problem with the base S550 GT stang, it is supposed to be fords
premier sports car, right?? Why does it handle and brake worse than
fords midsize sedan? (personally, I though GT brakes were better, but
don't shoot the messenger)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/ford-fusion-titanium-20l-ecoboost-awd-test-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-gt-automatic-test-review

Yes, the Stang test is the base susp (only way auto comes)
and wheels/tires. So what, the fusion suspension is much softer
and nicer riding and they both use 235 tires on 18" rims. Fusion
also only uses single piston front brakes (and smaller brakes on
both ends overall).

That is not acceptable to me and should not be for ford. Any version
mustang should handle and brake better than any "normal" car
ford produces.

So I have to spend 10 grand to get into an S550, and then spend more
money just to get it to outhandle my slow, lumbering (not really,
suspension is excellent) daily driver??

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Mine almost fits your criteria lol

That's beautiful man, seriously I think that might be my next move if the Glass Roof doesn't come out on a new Mach 1 or future model. I don't think I'd get black since my '13 GT was, but if one came along with all the options I most likely would since it's not a daily. I found a one owner Sterling Grey/red stripes with everything, roughly 2300 miles for $52k......so.damn.tempted.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Miss mine. Similar mods to both but the black one felt like it was on rails. It was less compliant, a little more raw, and I liked that.. The interior, especially the center console/radio area and steering wheel, were pretty ugly. That and some d*ck putting a baseball sized dent on the front of my hood drove me to the 2015 later that month.

Newer one is a little "mushier" all around like it put on the freshman 15 but it's more of a "car" than the 2012; yes, I know it's heavier and it feels like it. It may have 50+hp more than the previous one but doesn't "feel" as fast. 2015 is more fast car where the 2012 was more muscle car. 2015+ interior for the win.

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
What were your mods on the 12? Are those real RTR wheels?

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I don't miss the interior rattles at all......Spent hundreds on dynamat and it still wasn't as quiet as my car now. I used to hate the S550 but it has grown on me and the S197 looks boxy and old. Never thought I'd say that

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
What were your mods on the 12? Are those real RTR wheels?

[MENTION=17295]MRGTX[/MENTION] No, they're 18" charcoal AMRs.

Koni Yellows, LMR progressives, steeda competition sway bar kit, steeda street adj PHB, steeda triax, steeda shifter bracket, GT500 brakes, and an axle back. I still have all parts except the PHB stored, if you're interested in any of it PM me.

Nukem501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Shelby GT500
That's beautiful man, seriously I think that might be my next move if the Glass Roof doesn't come out on a new Mach 1 or future model. I don't think I'd get black since my '13 GT was, but if one came along with all the options I most likely would since it's not a daily. I found a one owner Sterling Grey/red stripes with everything, roughly 2300 miles for $52k......so.damn.tempted.
I for sure wanted the glass roof but this was to good a opportunity to pass up... since it literally had everything else. It had 6606 miles and I was able to snag it for $49k last May.

They didn't make too many Sterling Grey so it would be unique :p, I'm personally a glutton for punishment so went with black... but nothing (imo) looks better when clean than black (but there lies the problem)

I like the s550 a lot especially the interior, but the s197 just has its own thing that I dig.

Mines still stock at the moment outside cosmetic changes, kinda took inspiration from the 350R with the red emblems so took them off and painted em. Looking to do a few basic mods later in the year when money isn't tied up elsewhere... exhaust is #1 :D

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th
I have owned:

The current '15 GT is my favorite of all. They all had something very special....especially that '67. It had the full Pony package with overhead console, molded door panels, wood steering wheel. The steering wheel would swing away just like the T-bird when opening the door .... COOL!

But the S550 is just so far ahead of them all. It's definitely a world class sports car.

I am sitting at the dealer now for service. Looking across the room at a Shelby. But, that is out of my price range......just too much for a depreciable item. But, man, it sure looks good.

So, other than the '65 I had, I don't think I'd swap my S550 for any other 'stang. ( Well, maybe a mint condition '69 Boss!!)
Sponsored