Sponsored

Are extended set studs needed for 5mm hub centric front spacer?

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
My new wheels require a 5mm hub spacer to clear the wheel caps. This means there are approx 6 turns of the wheel lugs to hand tighten (around 7-8 to get it torqued right). I am using regular lug nuts. I will autocross next week.

Should I get extended studs? They are very expensive! (WTF) - around 300 for all 4 wheels!
Would extended thread lug nuts make a difference (much cheaper) - I'm not sure they just add more thread in the nut or actually can go deeper in..
Or should I remove the 5mm spacer and take off the wheel caps?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-wheel-stud-arp-extended-set-2015-2017/p/M1107C/
Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I have 5mm spacers and I got 7.5 turns. But it depends on the wheel too.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My new wheels require a 5mm hub spacer to clear the wheel caps. This means there are approx 6 turns of the wheel lugs to hand tighten (around 7-8 to get it torqued right). I am using regular lug nuts. I will autocross next week.

Should I get extended studs? They are very expensive! (WTF) - around 300 for all 4 wheels!
Would extended thread lug nuts make a difference (much cheaper) - I'm not sure they just add more thread in the nut or actually can go deeper in..

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-wheel-stud-arp-extended-set-2015-2017/p/M1107C/
That's a weird problem to have, usually it's clearance to the strut that requires the spacer. I'd take off the caps, personally.

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP

Other Wheel Stud Options Exist, we carry both the 1/2" longer version as well as the 1" longer version. Made for the S550 by ARP. They only cost around $228 for all 4 wheels. We sell them in 5 packs for $56.95. As Paul said you should be ok with a 5mm spacer but it is wheel dependent.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible

7 - 8 turns... Personally I wouldn't have an issue with doing it. I was running 7mm spacers last summer an all was fine...:)

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Ugh. Bad day.
I have an autocross event on Sunday I was going to attend. After getting the car aligned, we used extended thread lug nuts to tighten the wheel.

The good news: They went in 11 turns instead of 6 to 7 that the supplied lugs did with my aftermarket wheels (plus 5mm spacer in front). The bad news, apparently they did not properly clear the inside of the stud holes in the wheels (my wheels are aftermarket). The extended lug nuts work by having a narrow neck which is supposed to thread deeper in the wheel. It wasnt obvious till one snapped. The wheel got locked with the snapped part of the lug but (the extended part) wedged in.

200 bucks of labor and 2.5 hours later the wheel was ultimately freed by drilling the entire stud out. The shop did a great job and managed to do this without scratching the wheel. Unfortunately, now I cant attend the autocross event as I am missing a lug and no Ford dealer has it in stock.

I was better off just removing the center hub cap and running the regular lugs that came with the wheels or installing longer lugs.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh. Bad day.
I have an autocross event on Sunday I was going to attend. After getting the car aligned, we used extended thread lug nuts to tighten the wheel.

The good news: They went in 11 turns instead of 6 to 7 that the supplied lugs did with my aftermarket wheels (plus 5mm spacer in front). The bad news, apparently they did not properly clear the inside of the stud holes in the wheels (my wheels are aftermarket). The extended lug nuts work by having a narrow neck which is supposed to thread deeper in the wheel. It wasnt obvious till one snapped. The wheel got locked with the snapped part of the lug but (the extended part) wedged in.

200 bucks of labor and 2.5 hours later the wheel was ultimately freed by drilling the entire stud out. The shop did a great job and managed to do this without scratching the wheel. Unfortunately, now I cant attend the autocross event as I am missing a lug and no Ford dealer has it in stock.

I was better off just removing the center hub cap and running the regular lugs that came with the wheels or installing longer lugs.
Bummer :(

What is the part number? You need the studs and lugs?

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Bummer :(

What is the part number? You need the studs and lugs?
I just need one stud. Ideally, I should replace all the fronts now as they are stretched.

Since no Ford dealer has studs (!) in stock and I will miss the event, I'm going to get the extended stud for the front. That will give me the 5mm spacer, clear the hub cap and also give me added strength.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, if 200 bucks got wasted on your car hobby, its nothing compared to what I have seen.

Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
Been running 5mm spacers with the stock PP fronts for a year. More than enough stud with stock lugs. In fact, I wouldn't worry up to .25".

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That reminds me to pick up a few extra studs. When you loose one its never a convenient time to find a replacement. Last time I snapped one it was on a Miata at a track day and of course somebody had a spare.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
installed the new studs from ARP [MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION] in the front...lovely pieces, fit great. The open lug nuts Optimum provided didn't work with my Advanti aftermarket wheels as it didn't allow for the socket to enter the wheel openings when tightening (the nuts were too wide). Good news is the lug nuts provided by CARID with the wheel (closed end) did work (thank god) with these half inch longer studs as they are deep and I used 5mms spacers. Without those spacers those nuts ran into a different issue - it wouldn't go all the way in.

Ill need the nuts Optimum provided when I switch to the stock PP wheels in winter though.
Sponsored