Sponsored

What's the trick to removing stubborn axle?

fordfred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT...1970 Maverick...2011 F250
One side popped right out. The second one id fighting me. Any tips are appreciated.
Sponsored

turbosc297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
wide prybar with a rubber mallet is all it takes. Mine is about 16" long

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
wide prybar with a rubber mallet is all it takes. Mine is about 16" long
Not always. I had one axle pop out super easy and the other I reefed on for hours with a pry bar, a 24" crow bar, a 36" crow bar, then the 24" and 36" crow bar at the same time...didn't budge. Tried rotating the axle, pushing it in and then thrying to snap the pry bar really quick, tried wedging the bar in there and hammering on it, nothing worked. Ordered that axle popper, hammered it in there with the wedge and the shim and had the axle out in 2 minutes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
fordfred

fordfred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT...1970 Maverick...2011 F250
Not always. I had one axle pop out super easy and the other I reefed on for hours with a pry bar, a 24" crow bar, a 36" crow bar, then the 24" and 36" crow bar at the same time...didn't budge. Tried rotating the axle, pushing it in and then thrying to snap the pry bar really quick, tried wedging the bar in there and hammering on it, nothing worked. Ordered that axle popper, hammered it in there with the wedge and the shim and had the axle out in 2 minutes.
Do I need to move the exhaust out of the way to make room for the axle popper?

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
Do I need to move the exhaust out of the way to make room for the axle popper?
I don't think so, but I did have mine removed when I did it.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Fred, is your car a PP car with the Torsen diff? If so, there's a 12mm hole in the center of the diff's axle stopper so that you can reach through from one side with a punch and knock the other shaft out.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Big extension or punch and a BFH. If you don't care for the OEM axle, punch it out from the side hard. I had both if mines stuck and started a thread a while ago. Some members suggested that the lock ring in there may be stuck. May have to push it back in a little, rotate, and punch and hammer it out again.

I tried everything that you can pretty much think of. I also purchased the forks from Amazon, tied a rope to it and sledge hammer swing it outwards, and used a 3 feet pry bar without any luck. What did it was a big 3/4 inch punch and BFH hammer.

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My driver side half shaft popped out in on the third tap with a pry bar without issue. My passenger side fought me tooth and nail. I tried everything. Twisting around, tapping in to make sure it wasn't hung, 42in pry bar, 3/4 extension, hammer, bigger hammer, etc... I purchased the axle popper kit posted above and initially didn't have any success. I finally continued to hammer on the wedge and finally got it to pop out. The c clip:

33339749733_2af135311a_k.jpg
2017-04-19_10-21-20 by Brent Dalton, on Flickr

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My driver side half shaft popped out in on the third tap with a pry bar without issue. My passenger side fought me tooth and nail. I tried everything. Twisting around, tapping in to make sure it wasn't hung, 42in pry bar, 3/4 extension, hammer, bigger hammer, etc... I purchased the axle popper kit posted above and initially didn't have any success. I finally continued to hammer on the wedge and finally got it to pop out. The c clip:

33339749733_2af135311a_k.jpg
2017-04-19_10-21-20 by Brent Dalton, on Flickr
^ That had my car up in the air for a whole month before I got it out. That c-clip can be no joke sometimes.
Sponsored