jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Nope, they're not
So then here is the big question. My car is originally from Utah and I have another 5 years before I am required to get it smogged...should I just go ahead and buy the speed daddy ones or should I save up and buy the BBK despite the low build quality? Yes I am completely aware this might be considered a STUIPD question...but i figure it is better to get opinions than to be rash.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
BBK does not have low build quality. What people complain about is the very small amounts of slag and very little rust spots on the chrome, which is normal when a piece has been sitting around in a warehouse. It comes right off. The slay is literally nothing and around the inside. People want perfection. I get it. Pay 300 and it's what you want. Mine was on sale for 250. The fact is with BBK your paying for the chrome process. So between eBay sets and BBK little to no difference, it's about looks. If ran both. Trust me. As far as smog you should have no issues. You will still have factory CATS.

Sponsored

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Not familiar with Cali law enforcement but if you're sure you wont get a ticket for your speed daddies for 5 years I would consider installing them...as long as you can do the install by yourself... $170 /5 = $34 / year

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Not familiar with Cali law enforcement but if you're sure you wont get a ticket for your speed daddies for 5 years I would consider installing them...as long as you can do the install by yourself... $170 /5 = $34 / year
Now here is the sad part. I am an accountant, I deal with numbers all day...it did not even occur to me to do a simple payback period analysis.

However, when I add the potential cost of a ticket and then having to bring my exhaust into compliance with CA laws if the speed daddy headers are not CARB legal (depends on income for the fine imposed, but lets say around $2500)...it does not make sense.

BBK: 409.9/60 = $7.00 a month - something I can easily live with.

Speed Daddy $(175 + $2500)/60 = $45 per month - which I could live with as well, but then again, we also have to take in probability of being caught we will say its reasonably possible (20 - 50%).

So in short, guess I will save up a little and go with the ceramic coated headers from BBK and use the stock Ford gaskets.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Now here is the sad part. I am an accountant, I deal with numbers all day...it did not even occur to me to do a simple payback period analysis.

However, when I add the potential cost of a ticket and then having to bring my exhaust into compliance with CA laws if the speed daddy headers are not CARB legal (depends on income for the fine imposed, but lets say around $2500)...it does not make sense.

BBK: 409.9/60 = $7.00 a month - something I can easily live with.

Speed Daddy $(175 + $2500)/60 = $45 per month - which I could live with as well, but then again, we also have to take in probability of being caught we will say its reasonably possible (20 - 50%).

So in short, guess I will save up a little and go with the ceramic coated headers from BBK and use the stock Ford gaskets.
In your case just get the BBKs + stock MLS gaskets to avoid being slapped with fines for running non C.A.R.B. certified parts in the long run. Kody is selling his good condition ones for cheaper than you can buy them new: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1736085&postcount=13

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
Glad to see this is thread is still alive. I have been debating this for some time. Was looking to possible do a turbo upgrade. But, have been thinking procharger is the best route. So Headers are my next step. Does not affect the procharger.

Yes, please chime in Guys with the JBA or the Ebay Stainless headers.

Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Did anyone ever get a sound clip of these? I may be doing my install today.
The reason sound clips are so thin is because unlike long tubes they do not alter the tone much (if at all) with the cats in place. I am now running a Heartthrob X-pipe (deleted the resonator) and GT catback and it still barely altered the sound. It is something that is best heard in person as the changes can't be picked up with most cam mics.

Rocketboy said:
Glad to see this is thread is still alive. I have been debating this for some time. Was looking to possible do a turbo upgrade. But, have been thinking procharger is the best route. So Headers are my next step. Does not affect the procharger.

Yes, please chime in Guys with the JBA or the Ebay Stainless headers.
They're all good choices as long the stock MLS (multi-layer-steel) gaskets are used. The Ebay one's just happen to be the best bang for your buck due to the affordable price. Some people opt for the BBK's because they're ceramic (which still eventually rust btw). Just go with what you prefer. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 shadow black V6 6spd
I finally installed my ebay shorties on sunday. Wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. However a couple nuts and studs were a pain in the ass. Theres just no room with the header tubes in the way. Smh lol overall, couldnt be happier with em. It opened the sound up in the cabin, and cleaned the sound up overall.

Last edited:

darksides550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 Shadow Black
Got my speed daddies on. Everything was great until this morning. On my drive to work I noticed this really liloud knocking/rattling noise when in low rpms. I can't figure out where it's coming from. I'm fairly sure I tightened everything to kingdom come. Any ideas?

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 shadow black V6 6spd
Did you plug your o2 sensor back in?

OP
OP
bizkitlimped