Sponsored

V6 Roush axle backs vs Muffler delete

Pablotheartist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Hey guys,

Ive been contemplating on doing some exhaust work and couldn't make up my mind between these two options. The big obvious reason is the cost, if the muffler delete sounds better for less than half the price of the Roush, then ill head that route. Any V6 owners let me know if you have either set up and what you think of it!
Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Personally. I never go the out the box route with exhausts. I usually go through about two to three iterations of design before I stop. The Roush exhaust is one of the, if not most popular axle back options. BUT, since everyone uses it I decided to steer clear (and its pricey). Now, that's just me.

On my current Mustang I started with the muffler delete and added the Solo Performance exhaust for the GT (midpipes back) on the stock resonator box. Sounded pretty good. Deep, rumbled, but with the 2 1/4 to 3 inch transition I got a lot of crackles and I could notice the car didn't like it.

The second phase was adding a 2 1/2 inch H-Pipe. The car really woke up to his and it was louder. But, the H-Pipe began to leak and I really wasn't sure I was sold on the exhaust note.

Two days ago I removed the H-Pipe and added a box muffler with built in free flowing X-Pipe (brand is Jones). This setup is money. The exhaust flows smoothly. The response is noticeably better. The sound is right where I want it. I hear engine, intake, and just enough exhaust note that all together is just butter smooth. Best part for me is it makes the V6 sound like its modded and racey, but not faking the funk to be a V8. Also, zero drone due to the style of X-Pipe and Solo Performance exhaust.

In summary. I honestly feel if you find the right exhaust shop that will do quality work at a good price you can get a unique setup that is CATBACK and not just axlebacks for less money than you would spend on the Roush exhaust.

Box type muffler with x or h pipe: $50-$100

or

Bullet mufflers/Resonators (no box muffler): $50-$100

and

Custom piping w/labor and install (this is the muffler delete and marrying of the new box muffler in place of the stock resonator or adding bullet/resonators and deleting the stock resonator): $150-$250

Even on the high end it's cheaper. I spent a bit more cause I purchased the Solo Performance exhaust for the GT when I found one on Craigslist for a good price. Really liked the J-bends and 5 inch tips. Hope this helps.