First Aussie Journos drive reviews

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2015-ford-mustang-four-cylinder-review-first-drive-29642#.VCTiAr4Qnm0

Joshua Dowling tests the new four-cylinder Mustang in the US before it goes on sale in Australia next year.

Push the ‘start’ button on the new Ford Mustang and you expect the rumble of a V8.

But what I have here is an eerie silence. I’ve grabbed the keys to a four-cylinder Mustang. And I can barely hear it.

That’s right. A four-cylinder Mustang.

Ford has added a four-cylinder to the Mustang range to broaden the car’s customer appeal and to meet strict fuel economy targets in Europe.

Australia will get both the four-cylinder and the V8 when it arrives in showrooms in the second half of 2015, but I’ve grabbed the keys to the four-cylinder first because that’s the one everyone is most curious about.

Australians have had an aversion to large cars and four-cylinder engines since the asthmatic four-cylinder Commodore from the 1980s.

Holden put a Gemini engine in its family car in a kneejerk reaction to the fuel crisis in the 1970s; in the end the four-cylinder used as much fuel as the six-cylinder because it had to work so hard to move the heavier Commodore.

But times have changed and so has technology.

The four-cylinder in the latest, sixth-generation Mustang (Ford also fitted four-cylinder engines to the Mustang in the US between 1978 and 1993) has new turbocharger technology and has almost as much power as the previous V8.

BMW and other German car makers are also now getting epic performance from turbocharged four-cylinder engines.

But this is a Mustang. Can you get away with four-cylinder sacrilege in an American icon?

On first impressions, the answer is no. In stop-start Los Angeles traffic the four-cylinder sounds, well, ordinary.

It sounds like a small French van, and not at all like a Mustang should.

The side mirrors are also too small (here’s hoping Ford Australia fits convex mirrors on both sides), making it hard to pick your way through the bump and grind.

The bland standard seats are designed more for broad behinds rather than comfort and support. And you can forget the back seats; their only purpose is to somehow convince your life partner than you might, just might, be able to squeeze the kids in the back there.

The Mustang suspension is too firm and busy over even modest bumps at suburban speeds. On the bigger bumps it almost made me motion sick.

Fortunately, the traffic eventually clears and we find ourselves on the winding mountain roads behind Hollywood and into the great blue yonder.

In another twist of fate, we don’t have any traffic ahead of us, save for some aspiring Olympic cyclists on a morning hill workout.

Only then does the four-cylinder Mustang start to shine. Rev the engine above 4500rpm and the small French van sound starts to develop some character, with a subtle engine growl.

A small dose of the exhaust note from the Renault Megane RS275 or Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG would be a welcome improvement. At this point, I’d prefer to hear nothing at all than a weak attempt at an engine note.

But all is quickly forgiven after the first series of twists and turns. The four-cylinder Mustang steers beautifully.

Because the four-cylinder engine weighs less than the V8, there is less weight over the nose and better overall balance in the car front-to-rear. (For the tech heads, the weight balance is a near-perfect 52:48 for the four-cylinder and 55:45 for the nose-heavy V8).

The suspension that was too firm around town is in fact just right once you hit the open road. It's nothing short of superb.

Power delivery across the rev range is the other surprise. The power is there and ready, whenever you need it.

Ford does not publish 0 to 100km/h times, but the four-cylinder is said to be only slightly slower than the V8. It certainly feels quick enough for most tastes. (We'll know for sure when we test it in Australia next year.)

With less weight to bring to a stop (compared to the V8) the brakes have a sharp, responsive and reassuring feel.

The Pirelli tyres on the “Performance Pack” model tested stuck to the curves like chewing gum to a thong on a hot summer’s day.

Before I know it, I’m grinning like a kid with a new toy. And I’ve forgotten what engine is under the bonnet.

In fact, once you’re on the move there almost no way for anyone else to pick the difference between the four-cylinder and the V8 versions of the Mustang. They both get dual exhaust pipes and the same good looks.

For the anoraks among us, though, the V8 grille has a pair of vertical ‘blades’ and a GT badge on the rear, while the four-cylinder gets the Mustang ‘pony’ badge on its rump.

Both models get the super-cool three-step indicators in the tail-lights, that light up from the inside out, one vertical bar at a time.

Another piece of trivia: this car may be Ford’s most recognised model globally, but it doesn’t have a Ford badge on it anywhere. There’s a tiny Ford logo stamped in the shaded area of the windscreen.

With a car this good, Ford deserves to put a badge on it. Regardless of what engine is under the bonnet.

VERDICT

The four-cylinder Mustang is a revelation. It steers with the same level of poise as a BMW coupe. In fact, I’m going to go out on a limb here and say it’s a BMW squeezed under a bulging Mustang body.

But even though the new Mustang four-cylinder is one of the surprise packets of the year, it will take great courage -- and a sharp price -- to get buyers to sign on the dotted line for one of these over the V8.

Early indications from dealers are that the new four-cylinder Mustang will start at about $50,000, while the V8 will be closer to $70,000.

Would I buy a four-cylinder Ford Mustang? Absolutely. It looks the business, is fun to drive, and uses a fraction of the V8’s fuel. Just don’t rev the engine while anyone else is around.

Fast facts: Ford Mustang
Four stars
Price: $50,000 to $70,000
Engine: 5.0-litre V8 or 2.3-litre four-cylinder turbo
Power: 325kW/540Nm (V8), 230kW/430Nm (four-cylinder)
Fuel economy: 12.3L/100km (V8), 9.0L/100km (four-cylinder)
Transmission: Six-speed manual, six-speed auto
Weight: 1602kg (four-cylinder), 1691kg (V8)
Airbags: Eight (two front, two sides, driver knee, front passenger knee, rear side, curtains x 2).
On sale: In Australia in 2015

*All power and consumption figures are approximate and based on US testing standards. Australian figures may vary.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
And here's one for the GT;
Stephen Ottley for drive.com.au

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2015-ford-mustang-gt-first-drive-review-20140926-10mfij.html

FPV Falcons may be gone but there is a new performance hero for the blue oval on the way.

The Ford Mustang is growling at me. It's 5.0-litre V8 is heading towards its 7000rpm rev limit and it is building speed with licence-threatening ferocity.

As I head up the Angeles Crest Highway north-east of Los Angeles it quickly becomes apparent that the all-new 2015 Mustang is fast. Really fast.

But that wasn't a surprise, a two-door coupe powered by a big V8 engine is almost certainly going to be quick in a straight line.

It's what happens when you reach the first of the seemingly endless corners that flow up the Angeles Crest Highway that you really discover how good this new 'stang is.

The brakes bite hard as you approach the corner, the steering reacts almost instantly as you turn the wheel and the Mustang's rubber hangs onto the tarmac without any complaint.

Having never driven any variant of the five generations of Ford Mustang before it was hard to know what to expect, but everything I had read or heard about the iconic pony car suggested it was a bit of a blunt instrument. It was a car built to go fast down the dragstrip, not carve up mountain passes.

But it is, or at least this new one is. It is more of a precision tool than I expected.

As it should be, given the work that has gone into the design of this sixth generation model.

The engines have been updated, the suspension completely overhauled and the design analysed in detail to make it smarter and safer.

But it's not perfect. As I climb higher and higher up the Angeles Crest the details come into focus.

Yes, the steering is rapid to respond to inputs but it lacks feel through the wheel to really inspire the driver with as much confidence as it could. Even toggling through the selectable Drive Modes doesn't help - Sport and Track modes just add more weight, not feel.

The ride has some problems too with the optional Sports suspension our test car was fitted with, particularly at low speeds. Not unexpectedly the Mustang is firmly sprung which means it is susceptible to smaller bumps at low speeds but can also be unsettled over repeated smaller imperfections at higher speeds.

However, it feels better over larger bumps as the suspension recovers quickly to help the car feel planted on the road.

The tighter Sports suspension also helps the Mustang sit impressively flat when cornering, with limited body roll when turning and less pitching front and rear under acceleration and braking than the car we tested with normal suspension.

But it is the engine that is the star of the mechanical package with 324kW of power and 542Nm of torque it is a potent powerplant and almost matched the numbers produced by the supercharged V8 developed locally by FPV using the same basic architecture.

If there is a fault with the engine - aside from the claimed 12.3-litres per 100km fuel consumption - it's that the throttle response lacked finesse, even in the Normal mode as well as Sport and Track, coming in too sharply on initial application.

Paired with a six-speed manual gearbox in our test car (a six-speed automatic is available as an option) the Mustang GT powertrain is a fantastic combination.

Even without a supercharger, the engine is so flexible, with a wide torque curve, that it doesn't really seem to matter what gear you're in - it is always ready for action.

The gearbox action itself is slick but has some meaningful weight to it as well, in keeping with the muscle car image of this new Mustang GT.

On several occasions though I found myself leaving the gearshift alone when I should be looking for another cog just to hear the big V8 scream.

In an era of turbocharging and downsizing (look no further than the Mustang's EcoBoost sibling) the sound of a naturally aspirated 5.0-litre V8 is a rare pleasure and something to be savoured.

The engine noise fills the cabin and if you ever find yourself tiring of the V8 noise then you've probably bought the wrong car.

As for the cabin itself, it is well appointed and nicely presented. Inspired by previous Mustangs and aircraft cockpits (the speedo reads 'Ground Speed') it looks both old and new at the same time thanks to the integration of a large SYNC infotainment screen in the middle of the centre dashboard.

The seats in the Performance Pack-equipped GT we tested were optional Recaros which were very supportive but firm, to the point of becoming uncomfortable after a few hours.

Rear seat space is for small people only because while legroom is adequate (thanks to large cut-outs in the backs of the front seats) headroom is virtually non-existent for taller occupants (this 180cm correspondent had to bend his neck significantly when I sampled the rear accommodation).

Overall, the fit and finish of the interior is nice, even if some buttons and the indicator and wiper stalks are shared with the rest of the Ford range, but it doesn't feel like a premium car on the same level as an Audi or BMW.

Is it going to scare European performance cars? No, not really, not at the limits of pure performance and ride quality.

But is it a worthy replacement for the fast Falcons that the blue oval faithful have loved so dearly? An unequivocal yes.

Ford Mustang GT pricing and specifications
Price: From $70,000 (estimated.)

On sale: Late 2015

Engine: 5.0-litre V8 petrol

Power: 324kW at 6500rpm

Torque: 542Nm at 4250rpm

Transmission: 6-speed man or auto, RWD

Fuel consumption: 12.3L/100km

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
The GT read was enjoyable

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Another GT review. This time Joshua Dowling drives the V8;

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2015-ford-mustang-v8-gt-review-first-drive-29645#.VCVjvCgwL8s

First drive of the new Ford Mustang V8 ahead of its arrival in Australian showrooms in 2015.

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, now that’s a Mustang. Having tested the four-cylinder version of the 2015 Ford Mustang earlier in the day, it was time to get behind the wheel of the ‘real’ one: the 5.0-litre V8.

I can’t repeat in front of a polite audience the exact words that came out of my mouth having floored the V8 Mustang for the first time, but suffice to stay I said it a lot.

It’s a good thing Ford put big brakes on the new Mustang because you use them quite a bit to slow down -- just so that you can floor it back up to the speed limit again.

I initially thought the output of the V8 was a bit ho-hum on paper. The power rating of 325kW (a bit over 400 horsepower in the old money) and the torque rating (the measure of an engine’s ability to overcome resistance, or pull a stump out of the ground) of 540Nm also didn’t look like much.

That’s because the V8s we have back home in Australia -- in the Ford and Holden camps -- have more than this, so I went in with low expectations.

But the Mustang is relatively light for a V8 muscle car (even if it is between 3kg and 40kg heavier than before) and boy does this thing haul.

Better still, once the revs rise to 4000rpm, with its lungs full of air, the engine absolutely belts. It gets better the more you keep your foot into it.

Follow me for a moment: it accelerates harder and more quickly the higher the revs go. Customarily, V8s have asthma attacks. Not this one. This all new 5.0-litre V8 is a bit special, regardless of its ho-hum numbers.

We don’t have the 0 to 100km/h times yet because Ford doesn’t publish them. (It rightly argues that results vary too much between driver techniques, and road conditions).

But it feels as quick as a Falcon GT. And that’s supercharged, the Mustang is not.

Admittedly, this is a seat-of-the-pants feeling only. We’ll put timing equipment on it when it goes on sale in Australia in the second half of 2015.

In the meantime, I’ve got some winding mountain roads behind the city of Los Angeles to enjoy.

That said, ‘enjoy’ is a relative term. After just five minutes of enthusiastic driving I’m getting a sweat up, as if I’d just run up a flight of stairs.

The Mustang V8 is a little heavier than the four-cylinder, especially over the nose, so you’ve got to work it harder to get around a bend.

Don’t get me wrong: the chassis is brilliant. The North American press have declared it a revelation since it finally has independent rear suspension. Previous Mustangs had a rear end that could without exaggeration be traced back to the horse and cart.

But it’s not as light and nimble on its feet as the four-cylinder Mustang. To be fair, we tested a four-cylinder with sport suspension, and a V8 with comfort suspension. Nevertheless, there was a stark contrast.

Which means choosing between the four-cylinder and the V8 Mustang is going to create a dilemma almost as difficult as choosing between an iPhone6 and an iPhone6 Plus.

It depends on whether you want to go quickly in a straight line, or have superior cornering ability.

The diehards will buy the V8 no matter what. They’re the people that probably will buy a really big phone, even if it bends, just because it is a really big phone.

But I can’t blame them. The sound of the V8 alone is glorious. If only Ford could make the four-cylinder to sound like that.

VERDICT

Fans of the Ford Falcon GT are going to love the new Mustang. It drives like a Falcon GT that’s better glued to the road, and has just as much power on tap.

If Holden continues after its factory closure without a V8 in its line-up -- as is the plan at this point in time -- then there is every chance there will be a long list of Holden loyalists who will put their allegiances aside and may end up buying their very first Ford.

Yep, it’s so good people might just change which team they barrack for.

Fast facts: Ford Mustang
Four stars
Price: $50,000 to $70,000
Engine: 5.0-litre V8 or 2.3-litre four-cylinder turbo
Power: 325kW/540Nm (V8), 230kW/430Nm (four-cylinder)
Fuel economy: 12.3L/100km (V8), 9.0L/100km (four-cylinder)
Transmission: Six-speed manual, six-speed auto
Weight: 1602kg (four-cylinder), 1691kg (V8)
Airbags: Eight (two front, two sides, driver knee, front passenger knee, rear side, curtains x 2).
On sale: In Australia in 2015

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Thanks for sharing these impressions. Very insightful...

Sponsored

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Daniel Gardner drives both the GT and EB for GoAuto;

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/B0BEA4A4C6BF0AE5CA257D5F000FC1C6

Ford honours the Mustang mantra with 2015 model and Australia is in for a treat

26 September 2014

By DANIEL GARDNER in Los Angeles
WITH just months to go before Ford’s iconic Mustang arrives on Australian soil, GoAuto got behind the wheel in the pony-car’s homeland for a taste of things to come, but the blue oval says it is not a substitute for the passing Falcon XR8.

When it arrives next year, it will be the first large-scale offering of the Mustang Australia has seen, arriving in two variants - a 2.3-litre EcoBoost entry-level version and halo 5.0-litre V8, but the model is not intended to distract Ford fans form the death of the Falcon nameplate says Ford.

Speaking at the global launch in Los Angeles, Ford Australia communications and public affairs director Wes Sherwood told GoAuto the four-cylinder variants of Ford’s newest model will be the biggest seller locally.

“Mustang is a global icon so it's not a substitute for anything. It is a new opportunity in our lineup,” he said.

“Obviously we have a good base of customers for our performance vehicles so we expect some interest from that, but Mustang is so much more than that with the EcoBoost coming out”.

Mr Sherwood said an initial surge in demand for the top performing V8 powered GT would be followed by volume sales of the more efficient EcoBoost variant.

“People don't realise it but we sell more V6s than we sell GTs in America. Early on in the launch you'll have a heavy GT number in the mix, but because it is an icon it appeals more to the mainstream,” he said.

“We expect over time to have more of the mainstream, particularly with the EcoBoost offering the fuel-efficiency with the performance that you expect from the Mustang, EcoBoost really resonates with Australians”.

With the Mustang soon to be released in Down Under, Mr Sherwood said that Australians who perhaps hadn’t realised their dream of renting a Mustang and driving America's Route 66 will now have similar ambitions on Australian soil.

“Mustang is about freedom and there aren’t many better places to go out and hit the open roads than Australia. That’s why it has become an icon and not just a car, because it means something to people.”

After our first day piloting the pony-badged coupe through the mountains skirting Los Angeles’ sprawling metropolis, we can safely say Australians should be very excited that the Mustang will reach our shores.

Our day started off in the petrol-head’s pick of the bunch - a 5.0-litre V8 GT with six-speed manual gearbox and option performance pack.

The team of designers worked hard to give the Mustang a look that would appeal to both its loyal American following but also the tastes of new right-hand drive markets too.

In the flesh, the new Mustang has retained its muscular stance but has introduced a new elegance perhaps not seen before in the model.

Convertible and Fastback models don’t just differ in the roof line, they have completely different rear quarter panels from the door back to set the two variants apart.

Ours was dressed up in dark metallic grey Magnetic paint with gloss black 19-inch wheels as part of the GT Performance Package and a deleted boot spoiler for a more minimalist look.

Jumping into the black leather interior revealed a cosy cabin with milled-finish stainless dashboard trim, aluminium toggle-switches and superfluous but charming auxiliary gauges.

We particularly liked the no nonsense approach to the interior and a speedometer that reads ‘Road Speed’, implying some of your time may be spent airborne.

Negotiating the LA traffic was a pleasure peering over the long bonnet and using the driver’s side bonnet fin and vent like a rifle-sight to point the way.

Even thought the LA’s Hollywood suburb has more than its fair share of Mustangs, our test car turned heads everywhere it went. It seems Californians agree with us in thinking this is the prettiest Mustang since the very first of the 1960s.

At low speeds the GT’s tractive V8, manageable clutch and notchy gearbox were easy to use without becoming laborious, but as the traffic cleared the suburban roads made way for more Mustang-friendly pastures.

Under the Mustang GT’s bonnet lies a 5.0-litre normally aspirated V8, which in today’s increasing climate of forced induction engines might seem a bit of a dinosaur, but rest assured, the Ford V8 develops modern performance with an historical soundtrack.

With 320kW and 542Nm the Mustang GT really gallops.

Torque is available from low down in the rev-range but the near square engine rewards the driver for wringing it out to the redline and beyond with the most spine-tingling sounds produced at the 7000rpm cutout.

Its rev-limiter doesn’t aggressively interrupt power but subtly winds the taps off without startling the driver.

The sound of a Mustang is almost half of its appeal and the new version delivers its part of the deal admirably, with the sonorous roar seeming to come through the very panels - not just the exhaust or induction as many brands choose to do.

Equally as accomplished is the six-speed Getrag gearbox that sends the power to the rear wheels via a 3.73 Torsen differential (also part of the Performance Package).

Selecting first and second gears sends back a reassuring clunk as the drivetrain meshes and selections are precise, mechanical and easy to place, even for a driver used to changing with the other hand.

When up and moving the beefy cogs responded well to a heavy hand and smashing through gears was the icing on the V8 cake. We pity anyone who chooses the six-speed automatic transmission.

The manual ratios are very tight which produces an involving drive but the broad power range in the V8 doesn’t necessarily need such tight bunching and a little wider spacing might suit the manual Mustang better.

Attacking corners at speed couldn’t phase the Mustang’s capable road-manner and a planted front-end gave us the confidence to push through winding canyon roads at pace.

As you might expect, the tail is the first end to brake free if provoked but with excellent balance. Backing off the power would bring things back in check and sharpens the turn-in at the other end.

Coasting through corners off-power revealed the Mustang’s excellent front-to-rear balance with weight predictably rolling to the rear axle and staying there if the throttle was buried.

While it feels like a big car, the Mustang resists roll and pitch with infallible stubbornness, but still offers a comfortable ride when on rougher roads.

Its ride is firm and skips a little on concrete freeways, but generally we feel its suspension set-up will suit Australian roads very well.

For the afternoon we took the wheel of the 2.3-litre EcoBoost powered Mustang.

Acceleration in the entry-level Mustang was surprisingly good with 228kW and 434Nm of torque allowing very good pace when coupled with the same six-speed manual gearbox.

Turbo-lag was minimal and the four-cylinder engine pulled strongly in all gears, but while a satisfying and obvious whistle was produced by the turbo, we couldn’t help feeling its engine note didn’t fit the look of the Mustang.

Coming from the tailpipe of a hot-hatch the note would be satisfying, but we feel a pony-badged car needs the unmistakable allure of a V8.

Our second test car also had the optional Performance Pack fitted and handling was even more lively that the GT, with 45 fewer kilograms over the front axle.

As a performance car the EcoBoost Mustang is not a compromise when measured against the more powerful GT. It rewards the driver in just the same way but to a lower threshold - and sadly lacking the perfect accompanying noise.

We are delighted the Ford Mustang is finally coming to Australia and have no doubt the latest look will be well received by Australian fans.

The four-cylinder EcoBoost might not appeal to ‘Stang purists (or us) but it is undeniably a very capable and rewarding car wrapped up the same great looking shell of its high-performance twin.

But the last word has to go to the sensational GT, which perfectly honours the Mustang mantra of performance, pace, arresting looks and a captivating soundtrack.

It has taken a long time to come to Australia but after 50 years we are being treated to the best the Mustang badge has to offer.

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Must be a lot of Aussie journalists in LA at the moment, here's another by the guys at EVO Australia.

Back in January this year their article was one of the first I read about Mustang and has proven very accurate regarding price, (they speculated $49K for the EB to $65K for the V8 which is firming up.) and V8 power (almost spot on) amongst other things (including the non-flipping of the centre console).

http://www.evomagazine.com.au/2015-ford-mustang-gt-v8-review/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=2015-ford-mustang-gt-v8-review

What is it?
The sixth-generation Ford Mustang GT. The new ‘global’ Mustang will go on sale in 120 countries, including right-hand-drive markets such as Australia.

Tech highlights
Globally, three engines are offered, but Ford Australia has opted to take only two of these: the naturally aspirated 4951cc V8 driven here and a 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder for the Mustang Ecoboost. The atmo 3.7-litre V6 has been left on the bench (probably rightly). The dohc Coyote V8 makes 325kW at 6500rpm and 542Nm at a high-sounding 4250rpm. In truth, the engine is torquey and tractable throughout its rev range. Both engines are available with six-speed manuals or the option of a six-speed auto.

The big news for this new-gen Mustang is the adoption of an independent rear suspension – previous generations used live rear axles. There’s also launch control on the manual and a line-lock burnout function.

What’s it like to drive?
Put aside any snobbery, because here is an American car that goes, stops, handles and entertains like a good European sports coupe. Around town the ride is a bit busy, but once you up the pace on a challenging road, the suspension comes into its own. Much of the drive programme was conducted on twisty and lumpen canyon roads east of Los Angeles. These roads challenged the Mustang as well as any you’ll find in Australia and didn’t offer it any places to hide. Thankfully, the GT was up to the task with direct and linear steering connected (without a great deal of feel) to a keen and stable front end. In fact, a couple of colleagues likened the eager front end to that of a well-sorted BMW coupe and they’d get no argument from me.

The rear was also stable and for the most part and got the power to the ground (via a mechanical LSD) with little trouble. Occasionally, however, if you cracked the throttle too wide with the rear suspension fully loaded, there’d be a small hop from the back and the beginnings of a small and controllable slide. The customisable stability control was relatively unobtrusive even in its most aggressive setting. With the safety net switched off, the Mustang slides and recovers naturally and honestly.

With the stability control on but in the more permissive Sport Plus mode, you could float the Mustang down the lumpy tarmac and dive into corners hard on the brakes. The brakes also deserve special mention for their feel, progression and stamina. After a fast canyon run (where average fuel economy ballooned to 19.4L/100km), the brakes got smelly and smoky but the pedal never went long and stopping power remained true. Given the sustained speeds and big stops, I’ve little doubt that the GT would cope well with the average track day.

The Coyote V8 is so smooth and linear that I ran into its 7000rpm soft-limiter the first time I wound it out – it felt like there was another 500-800rpm left in it. With that in mind, the canyon was run in third and fourth gears of the six-speed manual, as second would run out of revs in all but the tightest corners. For muscle car fans, the engine could be more vocal, but it still provided a suitable backbeat to a fast drive.

How does it compare?
Ford is being very tight-lipped about pricing for the Mustang, which goes on sale in Australia around April next year. Best guesses at this stage are sub-$50,000 for the Ecoboost model and sub-$70,000 for the V8 GT. Ford is also keeping schtum on volume expectations, but after this first drive, there’s plenty for non-Ford or non-muscle-car fans to like. It will be interesting to watch how it sells beside the performance variants of the last-ever Falcon.

Anything else I need to know?
It won’t be to all tastes, but you shouldn’t dismiss the new Mustang because of its sometimes-lacklustre past. As a relatively affordable, entertaining rear-drive coupe it is a compelling offering. Add the drama of the looks and the aura of the badge, and the new Mustang is an exciting new addition to Australian roads.

- Jesse Taylor, Editor, evo Australia

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
...and another;

This is Ken Gratton from motoring and the second mention of the external mirrors being too small.

http://m.motoring.com.au/review/2014/car/ford/mustang/ford-mustang-2015-review-46330

Ford Mustang 2015 review
Ford Mustang GT and Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Launch Review
Los Angeles, USA

Even the word 'iconic' is wanting when applied to Ford Mustang. The car that re-wrote the history books on its launch in 1964 cuts across social and economic bounds and is the very hallmark of US self worth and success. The latest model introduces major design and engineering advances and aligns more closely with other cars in Ford's product range, but retains the signature cues that have earned the original Pony Car respect down the years.

Yes, it's good... That's the verdict now we have finally tested Ford's all-new 2015 Mustang in its home market of the USA. And the verdict is nigh on unanimous.

On the roads of California the new Mustang impressed a troop of Aussies with dynamic ability that should earn praise when it arrives in Australia at some point during the second half of 2015.

motoring.com.au drove two cars: the 2.3-litre Mustang EcoBoost turbo four came with the optional Performance Pack, and the Mustang GT was V8-powered – 5.0-litres of Ford's latest. Both cars were manual, which may remain the slower-selling option in Australia, but not by much, we're tipping. There is an optional six-speed automatic transmission available, and that will reach Australia too.

The Performance Pack specified for the Mustang EcoBoost test vehicle included black alloy wheels with 19-inch Pirelli P-Zero tyres, 3.55:1 limited slip differential, uprated suspension and additional instrumentation. In addition, our EcoBoost test car came with a host of optional features: upgraded audio system, electrically-adjustable driver's seat with two-position memory, Blind Spot Information/cross traffic alert, anti-theft system, adaptive cruise control, Collision Mitigation, rain-sensing wipers, reverse parking assist and voice-control satellite navigation.

The Mustang GT V8 tested came with the same kit, minus only the Performance Pack option. But that was one big minus, as it turned out.

The upgrade pack makes a significant difference to the handling and steering of the Mustang EcoBoost, when contrasted with the standard underpinnings and the added 45kg weight imbalance in the nose of the V8 GT tested.

If it's cornering ability you want, the Mustang EcoBoost with the Performance Pack is simply THE specification to order. Yes, the ride is choppy in the pilot build cars driven, but it settles down in corners and at higher speeds.

The compensation for that choppy ride is really sweet handling. The Mustang in this configuration corners just like a good rear-wheel drive coupe should. It's instantly at your beck and call as soon as you crank on a bit of steering lock, plus there's nice steering weighting and feel being relayed back to you in the Normal driving mode. The meatier calibration in Sport or Track modes just adds to the enjoyment.

Apply power gently after entering the corner off the brakes and the 231kW/434Nm four-cylinder Mustang just tracks around, squatting a little at the rear as it passes the apex. Grip is a knock-out and even lifting off the throttle mid-corner elicits nothing more than a straightening of the line, settling down in the direction the driver wants.

A word concerning the four-cylinder's 'choppy' ride with the Performance Pack suspension... According to Lou Santora, the Program Vehicle Dynamics Engineer for Mustang, the trait is a known problem in pilot build Mustangs. Santora says it will be rectified by the time the production cars go on sale in the US.

The problem lies with 'variable' valving in the monotube dampers at the rear of the cars. Ford has sunk a boot into the bum of its OE damper supplier, and the dampers will henceforth be provided with the correct damping rate.

Right from the word go, the V8 model seemed a bit slower to turn in and more inclined to push through a corner. This is discernible through the wheel and the seat.

Nonetheless, cornering is acceptably tidy and the car's responsive V8 grunt not only helps offset the weight imbalance in corners, it also overcomes the cornering speed deficit when let off the leash in a straight line.

In other words, the V8 may not have the exit speed from a corner, but it with its 324kW and 542Nm heft it would quickly catch an EcoBoost model on the very next straight. As a bonus, the V8's ride quality, with the softer suspension, is much more composed over sharper impacts.

The EcoBoost features electronic powertrain sound tuning (like BMW's M3/M4) and as a result the engine sounds sporty by four-cylinder standards. Certainly there's much more throatiness than in the 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine in the locally-built Falcon.

Mustang's EcoBoost engine – a larger direct-injected and turbocharged four – is exceptionally quiet at idle or when cruising, but delivers a beefy blast when the throttle is opened up and the engine is operating in the mid-range. There is admirable torque from low revs to hold higher gears, but it is equally at ease delivering refined performance approaching the redline.

The V8 is the 'killer app' of engines in the new Mustang line-up. Simply, it generates serious muscle and will effortlessly perform in a way that the EcoBoost won't. (There was no opportunity in California to drive the entry-level V6, but variants powered by that engine aren't headed our way.)

The V8 takes acceleration and aural excitement to a whole new level. It has the herbs to spin a wheel on launch, but its forte is higher in the rev range, despite being a slightly undersquare engine, with the bore and stroke measuring 92.2x92.7mm.

There are concessions to be made with the V8 though. It uses more fuel, of course, and it adds that extra weight over the front wheels.

All this V8 praise is not to say the EcoBoost is a dud by any means. But it is an engine that will appeal to those who are open-minded about the merits of four-cylinders. Think of it as a drastic overhaul of the 2.0-litre SOHC Pinto engine from the Escort/Cortina era. There's that same note, like a Weber downdraught working overtime.

Both cars driven in California were manuals, and both were left-hand drive. Even taking into account an unfamiliar right-handed shift it's my opinion that the lever is considerably lighter and more precise than manual Tremec transmissions used locally.

In other respects the Mustang's driving position is up to scratch, although the exterior mirrors are tiny – like VE Commodore small.

Instruments are fairly easy to use after brief study. Controls, likewise are well located and functionally straightforward. The dash is presented in a stylish way that hints at aviation heritage ('GROUND SPEED' in the speedo dial, for instance), yet it's modern and far from dull in the selection of trim materials.

Debate surrounds the story that 1964 Mustang was named in honour of the P51 fighter plane that bore the same name during World War II. Stephen Ling, marketing executive for Ford in North America, insists the car was named after the horse, not the plane, which is why the car's logo is a galloping horse, not an attacking fighter aircraft. Hard to argue with the logic, but some of Ford's interior designers seem to disagree nonetheless.

The Mustang bears a plaque on the passenger's side of the dash, telling the front-seat occupant that the car has been in production since 1964 – which is perhaps a subtle dig at today's Chevy Camaro.

Additional instrumentation is part of the Performance Pack option in the Mustang EcoBoost tested. The three extra gauges are arrayed across the dash above the centre fascia and include a clever combination gauge that on the overrun tips the needle anticlockwise for a manifold vacuum reading, or – under load – winds the needle clockwise for a turbo boost figure.

The Mustang's front seats are softly sprung, in the 'V shape' so beloved by Americans. Unfortunately they're a bit soft in the side bolstering and lack support – particularly in the four-cylinder Mustang, capable of achieving reasonably high g in corners.

Rear-seat accommodation is no place for adults or older teens. Getting in is hard enough, climbing out is an endeavour best left to a circus clown – one with particularly flexible joints and chiropractic insurance cover.

Once back there, adults of average size will find their chin is resting on their chest, such is the marginal headroom, and there's negligible legroom if the front seats are set back far enough to accommodate anyone over about 170cm tall. The Mustang is very much a 2+2...

Luggage space is much more generous. Ford claims that the boot will accept two golf bags even with the subwoofers back there; I have no reason to doubt that.

But golf bags? In a car like the new Mustang? Wouldn't track days be a Mustang owner's principal recreation at weekends? The latest model is certainly capable enough...

2014 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium and Mustang GT pricing and specifications:
Price: from around $50,000 (plus on-road costs)
Engine: 2.3-litre four-cylinder turbo-petrol (EcoBoost) and 5.0-litre V8 petrol (GT)
Output: 231kW/434Nm (EcoBoost), 324kW/542Nm (GT)
Transmission: Six-speed manual (six-speed automatic optional, not tested)
Fuel: TBA
CO2: TBA
Safety Rating: TBA

What we liked:
>> Unforgettable looks
>> Charismatic V8 power
>> Finely honed cornering dynamics

Not so much:
>> No rear-seat space of any consequence
>> Small exterior mirrors
>> Ride needs to be reassessed on Aussie roads

Published: Friday, 26 September 2014
Words:Ken Gratton

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Another one worth reading; this one by Caradvice's Jez Spinks looks at both the GT and EB.

Once again the small side mirrors are mentioned.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/310802/2015-ford-mustang-review/

Goodbye Falcon, hello Ford Mustang.

Okay, it’s not 2017 yet so we’re getting a bit ahead of ourselves, but what you’re looking at here – and what we’ve driven – is the car that will replace the XR8 and GT as Ford Australia’s local halo model.

Once the robots stop rotating and the assembly lines cease rolling at Victoria’s Broadmeadows plant in late 2016, the Mustang will be the only V8-powered Ford you’ll be able to buy in Australia.

Crucially, the famous American muscle car will be more attainable than ever before as a result of the One Ford approach that has made the new, sixth-generation model a global rather than US-only model – also factory-built in right-hand drive.

Apart from a period of official sales in the late 1960s here, Mustangs have otherwise only been available locally as conversions costing from $85,000 to above $100,000.

You can halve that last figure for the new ’Stang, with a starting price potentially just under $50,000 putting it within reach of a far greater number of keen drivers.

There are further benefits for the Mustang’s migration to other markets. Ford has at last ditched the antiquated live rear axle and introduced independent rear suspension.

It’s a vital move if Australian and European tastes for dynamics are to be satisfied.

Our first drive of the new Ford Mustang, though, is a pre-production left-hooker on US soil – around the streets of Los Angeles and up and down curving canyon roads.

The all-new front and rear suspension shines in the hills beyond the City of Angels but the Mustang is no (Sunset) Boulevard cruiser.

Whether on the regular underpinnings or firmer set-up of the Performance Pack, the fastback Ford is frequently bucked out of its stride. It does settle as speeds rise, though.

Chief engineer Dave Pericak told CarAdvice the issue had been acknowledged and says a fix is in place for production cars. He assures us that the tweak won’t affect the way the car currently steers and handles.

And thank goodness, because this is a Mustang that drives like no Pony car before it.

This is a coupe with its front and rear axles working in perfect unison – the newly untied rear wheels obediently following where the fronts have been directed.

There’s mighty grip from the Pirelli P Zero 255/40 19s that were part of the Performance Pack fitted to our first test car, the 2.3-litre four-cylinder turbocharged EcoBoost model, and the steering delights with its precision and the feedback it imparts through the rim of the Mustang’s sporty three-spoke steering wheel.

A Driving Mode toggle offers Comfort, Normal, Sport and Wet/Snow settings for the steering, transmission and stability control, and opting for Sport adds some welcome meatiness to the weighting without becoming artificially heavy like some steering systems from German luxury brands.

It’s the ability to steer the Mustang via the throttle that brings the greatest satisfaction when taking on a long stretch of picture-postcard driver’s roads. Press the pedal harder and the chassis presses harder into the bitumen, with understeer a seemingly distant notion; lift off and the nose tucks in. Beautiful.

Recaro sports seats are likely to be optional in Australia as they are in the US, but we’d recommend paying the extra for them. The side bolstering is more effective than the leather seats we had in the GT, while the springy cushioning guarantees day-long comfort.

The driving position is great, and there’s vastly better vision than in the rival Chevrolet Camaro. The side mirrors on the US-spec cars are tiny, though Ford says taller versions will feature on European and Australian exports.

Our GT test car didn’t have the Performance Park and didn’t feel quite as sweetly balanced as the lighter EcoBoost, but while there was noticeably reduced grip from the all-season Pirellis compared with the performance-focused versions, the coupe’s rear end control remained impressive.

The V8, of course, is regarded by many as an essential part of the Mustang experience, and it certainly doesn’t disappoint. The 5.0-litre, carried over with tweaks from the previous generation, fires into life with purpose before burbling away on light to medium throttle.

It revs relatively quickly, building speed as if it’s on a mission as you head towards its 6500rpm peak power point. Ford never provides performance figures but it’s unquestionably quick – and all without the supercharger bolted to the same ‘Coyote’ engine borrowed by FPV.

The six-speed manual isn’t quite as slick as the same Getrag unit mated with the turbo four-cylinder, but a bit more hand power effort isn’t out of place in a muscle car.

We’d take the V8 almost on character rather than speed, though there’s much to like about the ‘entry’ engine, too. While the sound of the EcoBoost engine – despite being amplified (but also refined) through the speakers like the twin-turbo six in the BMW M3 – lacks the aural theatre expected of a sports car, it delivers in other areas.

There’s none of the V8’s low-speed driveline shunt and the turbo four is more tractable at low revs, before it brings strong and flexible performance into play.

Third gear proved to be especially elastic on the windiest section we covered, making second redundant even for hairpins and fourth only required when the road opened and straightened noticeably.

And on the freeway, the engine pulls nicely from 2000rpm in sixth. Based on the US combined fuel cycle, the EcoBoost engine has economy between 9.0 litres per 100 kilometres (manual) and 9.4L/100km against the V8′s 12.3L/100km (auto or manual).

If the new Ford Mustang’s ride and handling is a mixed affair, the same can be said about the interior.

The Mustang’s cabin quality and presentation is a clear step up over US rivals such as the Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger. The 4.2-inch touchscreen is within easy reach, requires limited brain power to operate, and responds quickly to finger presses.

However, rougher, harder plastics on the dash and centre console, and details such as the silver-plastic toggles can’t disguise that the Mustang is still a car Ford has to price from below $30,000 in the US for competition’s sake (it’s been outsold by the Camaro since 2010).

The rear seats are also limited for room, with head space particularly woeful – despite the Mustang’s 4.8-metre length exceeding that of an Audi A5 or BMW 4 Series.

At least the boot is pretty sizeable.

As a sports coupe (or convertible), the Ford Mustang is never going to match the practicality of the V8 Falcons, and its urban ride will need to be fixed to match the Aussie sedans’ all-round capabilities.

But it looks great with its classic muscle car proportions, and will help ensure the brand fills a performance gap post 2016, especially in GT form.

And thanks to chassis engineering that makes a bigger break from the Mustang’s heritage than the design, the engaging, rear-drive driving experience won’t be so alien to Australians, either.

ecoboyboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
White EB auto
Great work OzS550 - thanks for this.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Thanks for collecting these!

Interesting to read that just like all the Dutch reporters the Aussie ones also often mention the poor grip of the seats and advise to go Recaro.
Sponsored